I know personally, that there are a ton of times when I laugh or rage at a post and refrain from actually posting that reaction for one reason or another, usually effort related (mainly with the laughing), or not wanting to get involved in a heated topic, etc. I know others do the same to varying degrees and that while there may be no posted reaction to a joke, people are laughing, eye-rolling, getting offended, etc. in reality. Same with all types of posts where people in reality are reacting in some manner, but for whatever reason decide not to relate those reactions into a post.
So, here’s my idea for a game: We all decide to, for a day, refrain from refraining. We must post our reactions when we would usually decide not to. This does not mean that every post we read, we have to reply to, but if you have some strong reaction to it especially to the point of starting to type a reply and then abandoning it, you now have to post it for all to see. The object of the game is to see who can go the longest without holding their tongue. Here are my proposed rules which will, of course, be up for debate from potential participants:
1. You must post a reaction to a post no matter how pointless or pointed it is and no matter how bad you think the idea of posting it will be.
2. While you will not be holding back on what you respond to, you will be expected to compose your post in conformity with standard forum posting guidelines.
3. For the as-yet-to-be-determined time frame and span, you will adjust your profile signature to include the phrase, “Don’t be too quick to judge; I’m just being honest” which will be a hyperlink to this OP.
4. If you cannot bring yourself to post your reaction to something for any reason, you must post here that you’ve lost with a link to the thread in question.
5. All the above rules except for rule #2 will only be enforced by the honor system to make this possible so please don’t be a dick and cheat.
6. If this game proves popular, we may have multiple rounds and introduce variations on this theme.
7. There must be at least 6 participants signed up before a round will be scheduled.
Let me know your thoughts about this below. As I’ve stated, I’m completely open to changing any of the rules stated here with good reason. If you view this and decide you don’t care; in the interest of the spirit of the game, please just post so. No explanation needed.
Rethought thread subjectline. Used to be "The Betazoid for a Day Game." New one seems more appropriate.