Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 42792 times)

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
I'll definitely give the show a try.  Haven't read the books (never heard of them before this show was announced.)
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
Its possible that HBO will be free this weekend, so if you don't have it, check it out on Sunday!
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline EmergentSystem

• Well Established
  • Rawr
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
I am gay for Sean Bean, I'd watch this on the merit of him being in it alone. Doesn't hurt that it's HBO, as they have produced more than half of my favourite all-time TV series.
Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
“Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

Online MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
With the strong recommendations here, it's going to have to be next on my list.

I'm always hoping to find a good author who I've never heard of and who's already written a boatload of novels. Long ones, if possible.
"The object of superior man is truth." Confucius

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »

I'm always hoping to find a good author who I've never heard of and who's already written a boatload of novels. Long ones, if possible.
These are a bit long, not horribly so.  But there are only 4 of them (5th comes out this summer).

Well worth the read.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Reading the comments here makes me think my wife is not going to enjoy the show.  She prefers the fantasy stuff much more than the politics.  But, I'll make her at least watch the first episode.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »

Let us know what you think about the books in the book thread!

Two more days!
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
So?  What did people think?

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »
I watched it with one friend who is more obsessed with the books than I am, and three people who had never read them. Everyone enjoyed it. I don't have much to complain about. So far I think it's doing the books justice.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how a man can love a woman when a woman is just a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
I had never even heard of it before seeing the HBO previews.  I am hooked. 

Poor kid.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
Very enjoyable.  I watched w/o my wife, and, in retrospect, I don't think she would like the show.  She doesn't like zombies, gore, or dead animals.

In any case, I definitely liked the first episode and am looking forward to see where it heads.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
The things we do for love.

This needs to be on t-shirt.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Old Hoplite

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
First thoughts:

Liked Sean Bean. No one really does aging warriors/soldiers better than him.
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau had a nice scene with him, setting up the tension. Although NCW is a bit of a scene chewer.

The sets were lush and the production design seemed to hit the right tone of grandure and dirtiness.

Of course like lots of HBO production hit you with a big shot of blood and nudity up front. Expected a bit more action but sure it is coming.

Also, have any of the characters heard of the missionary position?
Beer is proof God loves us. Ben Franklin

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »
First thoughts:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau had a nice scene with him, setting up the tension. Although NCW is a bit of a scene chewer.

The sets were lush and the production design seemed to hit the right tone of grandure and dirtiness.

Of course like lots of HBO production hit you with a big shot of blood and nudity up front. Expected a bit more action but sure it is coming.

Based on my experience with HBO shows, I think they have some sort of rule against filming the missionary position.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Old Hoplite

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
First thoughts:

Based on my experience with HBO shows, I think they have some sort of rule against filming the missionary position.

Yep, I now recall Broadwalk Empire and True Blood do seem to favor the Man behind position.  I suppose might make it easier for body doubles or something other technical reason.
Beer is proof God loves us. Ben Franklin