Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 45641 times)

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
First thoughts:

Liked Sean Bean. No one really does aging warriors/soldiers better than him.
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau had a nice scene with him, setting up the tension. Although NCW is a bit of a scene chewer.

The sets were lush and the production design seemed to hit the right tone of grandure and dirtiness.

Of course like lots of HBO production hit you with a big shot of blood and nudity up front. Expected a bit more action but sure it is coming.

Also, have any of the characters heard of the missionary position?

Based on my experience with HBO shows, I think they have some sort of rule against filming the missionary position.

Yep, I now recall Broadwalk Empire and True Blood do seem to favor the Man behind position.  I suppose might make it easier for body doubles or something other technical reason.

If it's not Doggie Style, it's not HBO.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
Missionary position is for the basic cable networks so that they can have their actors wear underwear while filming sex scenes.. HBO wants to be more realistic so they deliberately place their actors in a sex position which precludes the set director from covering their bits with bed sheets or underwear.

That's my theory, anyway.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Old Hoplite

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
Missionary position is for the basic cable networks so that they can have their actors wear underwear while filming sex scenes.. HBO wants to be more realistic so they deliberately place their actors in a sex position which precludes the set director from covering their bits with bed sheets or underwear.

That's my theory, anyway.

You do of course mean thier NAUGHTY bits?
Beer is proof God loves us. Ben Franklin

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Yeah, that was implied.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that the.. dwarf? little person? I forget what the "proper" terminology is.. actor seems to be the only working little person/dwarf actor in Hollywood these days? Dude is in every role that calls for a dwarf/little person..
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
I really liked the first episode. I was blown away by the title sequence.  Awesome!

For those of you who haven't read the books, how lost/not-lost were you?
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »
I really liked the first episode. I was blown away by the title sequence.  Awesome!

I only got to watch the first 30 minutes of the premiere so I don't know yet how lost I am. I sort of get the thread so far though.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
With the wedding at least I know the book describes the sex as being "doggie style". The other sex scenes I'm less sure about.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how a man can love a woman when a woman is just a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
With the wedding at least I know the book describes the sex as being "doggie style". The other sex scenes I'm less sure about.

Really? The book uses that terminology? I will definitely have to start reading them in that case..

:pervert:

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

Really? The book uses that terminology? I will definitely have to start reading them in that case..

No, they call it "direwolf style".
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how a man can love a woman when a woman is just a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where the smells come from.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »

No, they call it "direwolf style".

We need a Sean Bean facepalm...

:ughh:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:21:08 AM by Kessdawg »
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
It's a fantasy, after all. They can have sex however they WANT to.
"The object of superior man is truth." Confucius

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
I had never even heard of it before seeing the HBO previews.  I am hooked. 

Poor kid.

Yeah, I was all excited for where is this climbing skill going to take us..... Oh.

Loving it so far.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »

I think I'm following along fine.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
Related but slightly different question:

For people who have seen it, or both read it and seen it - Should I watch it now and read it later, or read it first and watch it later?

99% chance that I will read the books at some point, and I have the show recorded to watch when I like. But I dont know which I should start with.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »
Related but slightly different question:

For people who have seen it, or both read it and seen it - Should I watch it now and read it later, or read it first and watch it later?

99% chance that I will read the books at some point, and I have the show recorded to watch when I like. But I dont know which I should start with.

Book first IMO.
When I saw Pillars of the earth without reading, I had a tough time keeping up with the plot of the show.
From what I understand, POE is less complex than GOT.

personate-rain