Author Topic: SGU Minecraft  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Blackmere

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: SGU Minecraft
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
The issues people have reported so far sound like lag to me (as opposed to server hardware). It is my concern with SATAKARNAK's servers that I'll have a lot of latency since, I assume by the domain, those servers are in Europe.
Quote from: Beleth
When you're in a hole, the first rule is to Stop Digging.

Offline ben_etc

• Brand New
  • 120% Awesome! ...Wait, that can't be right.
    • I'm on the Twitter!
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
Approximate specs: quad-core xeon around 2.8 ghz each. About 20gb of fast ram. Average hard drive on an SATA interface. My pipe is verizon fios ... 25 Mb up and down.

Wow... I'm not surprised you have more RAM than my machine, but I wasn't expecting 20gb :P I'd be really interested in seeing how a stress test runs on that. Of course, 20gb of RAM would mean that a machine we build would be that much more expensive.

I was telling a friend of mine about this project last night and he showed me a cool site for this: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ Assuming it is accurate, the setup and internet connection you described could host 76 players. The 4gb of RAM on my computer bottlenecks it at 30, so RAM is going to be important. I'd play around with the site and find the sweet spot fr RAM, but I'm at work (and shouldn't be on the forums right now, anyway.)

It doesn't ask about CPU, so it is either assuming you are running it on a server with a pretty powerful CPU, or CPU stops being a bottleneck pretty quickly.

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
I was telling a friend of mine about this project last night and he showed me a cool site for this: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ Assuming it is accurate, the setup and internet connection you described could host 76 players. The 4gb of RAM on my computer bottlenecks it at 30, so RAM is going to be important. I'd play around with the site and find the sweet spot fr RAM, but I'm at work (and shouldn't be on the forums right now, anyway.)

I'll check that out.  Load with 5 players is around 8% CPU and around 335K RAM.  RAM usage will go way up with more players going further afield.  If people want to keep playing on here while the official server gets sorted out I'll setup craftbucket and probably a hard limit to map expansion to keep things smooth.
Whitelisting: http://tinyurl.com/sgumcwl
(I'll get to these in batches)

SGU Minecraft - sc12.servercraft.co:9347 (online - 9/24/2011)

Offline Blackmere

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
I haven't used this but it sounds like a great server mod.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/SimpleServer

Features provided by SimpleServer include:

* Anti-Grief Block Firewall (List of blocks that are not able to be placed by a certain rank of user)
    * Automated Backups + Saves
    * Automated Restarting
    * Guest System, with Destroy Protection
    * Locked Chests, with Destroy Protection
    * Warp to Player, Warp to Me, and Teleport player-to-player
    * IP Based Ranks
    * Ranks (guest, builder, op, admin)
    * Kits with Rank Permissions
    * Bans by Name, IP Address, and IP Ranges
    * Kicking
    * Give Item command based on Rank
    * Whitelist
    * MOTD/Rules

Offline SATAKARNAK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
The issues people have reported so far sound like lag to me (as opposed to server hardware). It is my concern with SATAKARNAK's servers that I'll have a lot of latency since, I assume by the domain, those servers are in Europe.

Yes Europe =(

Offline Random1

• Off to a Start
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
Hey, just registered to say that I love the idea of this project. Weekly SGU listener, and I also happened to be playing minecraft as I heard Jay's idea! I was on leadcarbonate's server last night as Random1138.
I also happen to be trained as an architect, so once the server is decided/up and running I would love to contribute my skills toward the planning for any group building projects we want to do.
I would also be happy to contribute a few bucks to whatever funding scheme we can come up with.

Online Rai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »
We've set up a nice commune on the server. Come and have a look.
There's, another example. See, here I'm now sitting by myself, uh, er, talking to myself. That's, that's chaos.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
I'm in Europe and it's lagging as hell sometimes.

Offline ben_etc

• Brand New
  • 120% Awesome! ...Wait, that can't be right.
    • I'm on the Twitter!
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
I'm in Europe and it's lagging as hell sometimes.

Unfortunately not a whole lot can be done about that, it's just a matter of distance. If it is hosted in North America, it will sometimes be extremely laggy in Europe, and if it is hosted in Europe, it will sometimes be extremely laggy in North America.

Offline Blackmere

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
Well, presumably, if the server isn't on residential internet, it should be better.

Offline Tragedy_Z

• Brand New
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »
MUST PLAY!!!

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
All seems to be going smoothly on the my test server (don't wan to be presumptuous).  Peaked today with 10 players and CPU load spiked to around 20% temporarily.  Players seem to be having fun.  Going to migrate to a more configurable server tonight.  I did a bunch of reading on server admin -- I'd be willing to admin or help out on an official server.

Also, found a few ways to optimize performance.  No server slow-downs at all so far although some players are still reporting lag.

Also, I'm still very much up for paying $5/mo to play on an official server.  Perhaps a poll to see how much support is out there?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:10:16 PM by leadcarbonate »

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
Checked it out tonight. Very very cool. Fort Spawnpoint should save others from the terrifying disoriented run through the pitch black night in the pouring rain trying to find safety I had.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
So what are the current test server IPs and where are they located?
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
I've got one running in Southern California.  IP in my sig.

personate-rain