Author Topic: SGU Minecraft  (Read 10817 times)

Offline Rai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: SGU Minecraft
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 12:33:20 PM »
It would be good to decide if we want Classic or Beta.

I'd prefer Beta, it has a lot more fun.
There's, another example. See, here I'm now sitting by myself, uh, er, talking to myself. That's, that's chaos.

Online Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Definitely beta.

Offline True Disbeliever

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
Not being familiar with the game (but interested,) I am a little unclear on what is needed.  One of my computers easily blows apart the specs posted earlier, and I have 5Mbps uploads.  Can I just run the server software on my machine and, what, open up some ports?  Voila?

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Not being familiar with the game (but interested,) I am a little unclear on what is needed.  One of my computers easily blows apart the specs posted earlier, and I have 5Mbps uploads.  Can I just run the server software on my machine and, what, open up some ports?  Voila?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114229
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline True Disbeliever

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
So...yes.  Okay, cool.

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »
Yeah, I probably should have summarized, but I felt the linked topic did it fairly well.
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline True Disbeliever

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
So can you connect to 24.71.245.242 ?

Gotta admit I don't really know what I'm doing; it's just POC.

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
Playing right now.  I'd happily pay $5 to play with a couple of rogues and other skeptics.

Survival mode ... Right??

Another important question:  what seed?  I really like the look of "TrollDad" myself: http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo55/loookatme123/2011-02-28_100250.png
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:48:11 PM by leadcarbonate »
Whitelisting: http://tinyurl.com/sgumcwl
(I'll get to these in batches)

SGU Minecraft - sc12.servercraft.co:9347 (online - 9/24/2011)

Online Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
I recommend "gargamel". Take a walk in it yourself to gain an appreciation for how awesome it is.
No Smurfs in it, though.

Other good ones are "Glacier" and "-1784338777788894343".

I would also like to propose having a mod that makes diamond tools indestructible, since I find endlessly crafting new tools tedious.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:57:10 PM by Sordid »

Offline ben_etc

• Brand New
  • 120% Awesome! ...Wait, that can't be right.
    • I'm on the Twitter!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
I actually JUST signed up for the forums to discuss this because I think it is an awesome idea. I was even playing Minecraft while listening to the SGU, so it was just a tiny bit meta, even.

A friend and I built a small server from old components that he runs at his house and I administrate remotely. It has never had more than 5 people on it at once, so I don't know exactly how to scale it to what Jay and Rebecca were talking about on the show, but having done this before, here are my two cents.

If you want to build a machine for this, it is going to have to be pretty beefy for this scale. My server is on an old Athalon XP 2400 single core with 3gb of RAM. It runs fine most of the time with five people, but has MAJOR issues when even one person is exploring previously unexplored areas; during that time the server has to generate new terrain and it makes it virtually unplayable for everybody else. How does it scale up to 25? 50? 100? I couldn't say, as there are no real guidelines (at least any that I have found) on the internet. I would say that the best bet is a modern processor with as many cores as you can afford, since the server application can actually use multiple cores at once. Minecraft forums are divided as to how much RAM actually influences server performance, but RAM is cheap enough that I'd say the more, the merrier.

Hard drives aren't that big an issue, as long as it is at least 7200 RPM and SATA, it should be fast enough. I'd recommend either a second drive or cloud storage somewhere, if not both, for daily backups in case the hard drive fails.

You'll need a fast, reliable internet connection to handle bandwidth. You'll also want to avoid any usage caps that many ISPs are instituting these days, such as AT&T's Uverse which will have a 150gb cap starting Monday. I don't know specifically how much data is sent to and from the server, but if 50 people connect per day all the data is going to add up faster than you realize.

Setting up your own server would therefore need an initial investment for hardware, ongoing investment for the internet connection and electricity, and the effort of admins and moderators.

If and when this gets off the ground, I would happily volunteer to help administrate and set up the server, since I have experience both setting up the Minecraft server application, as well as the server's operating system. I don't have the resources to host it myself (with money, hardware, or bandwidth), but once it is set up, it can be administrated remotely, and I would be happy to help. And I won't lie, like the nerd I am, I would have a lot of fun doing it, too.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I would be willing to host a coordinated server stress test some time on my hardware (Core 2 Quad core w/ 4gb of RAM.) In other words, get as many people as we can to cram into a temporary server I would host and see how well it runs on the hardware I've got, since everything I stated above is based on pure speculation. If anybody is interested in helping, all they would have to do is sign on at whatever time we decide on and play for a while. Then we could at least get a better of idea as to what hardware an SGU Minecraft server would need.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:00:53 PM by ben_etc »

Offline True Disbeliever

• Off to a Start
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 03:52:21 PM »
As I said, I have set something up although I'm not sure I have the settings 'right.'  If someone wants to test connecting to it at 24.71.245.242 it would be much appreciated. 

Offline ben_etc

• Brand New
  • 120% Awesome! ...Wait, that can't be right.
    • I'm on the Twitter!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 04:07:15 PM »
As I said, I have set something up although I'm not sure I have the settings 'right.'  If someone wants to test connecting to it at 24.71.245.242 it would be much appreciated.

I just tried to connect, and couldn't do so. If you are connected to the internet via a router, you most likely need to forward port 25565 to the machine running the server.

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
I recommend "gargamel". Take a walk in it yourself to gain an appreciation for how awesome it is.
No Smurfs in it, though.

I'm playing on a Gargamel instance on my MP server right now.  The reason I didn't suggest it is because it sounds like an SGU server might attract a lot of new minecraft players and the spawn point on Gargamel are tricky.  TrollDad spawns you on a beach next to some great stuff although I have to agree that Gargamel is fantastic.

Offline SATAKARNAK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
Minecraft how meny slots do you nead ?
I can check with My gaming comonety (speling Its late an i am
On à iPod ) we cold hoste but I nead check with the superadmins first

We have good servers that can run large minecraft severs for free

I do not know the specs byt we are runing arma 2

Skyttegrav.se

Pm me or reply
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:33:02 PM by SATAKARNAK »

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 04:29:36 PM »
I've got a working multiplayer server running at [redacted].  It's not a long term solution but if anybody wants to pile on maybe we can get a sense of what a known set of specs can really handle.  The site might be up for a few days or a few hours so get on while the gettin's good.

While I suspect that SGU forum readers will probably be a cut above in terms of respect, please be careful around the existing structures and don't loot my goodies!  Apart from that have fun and I'll keep it running as long as I can.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:09:30 AM by leadcarbonate »

personate-rain