Author Topic: Bones season 6 episode 18, cryptozoology  (Read 1847 times)

Offline RyanSchwieger

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Facebook
Bones season 6 episode 18, cryptozoology
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »
Anyone else watch it? I really love this show. I really liked the skepticism they showed towards the subject.
I like to tread a fine line between funny and inappropriate and than realize that I'm not walking on the line i thought i was.

"Anything that tastes good is probably bad for you thanks to evolution being a dick." Johnny Slick

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Bones season 6 episode 18, cryptozoology
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
Not yet, I love this show.  I will watch it over the weekend.  I don't watch much TV during the week with as busy as my house gets.  I get caught up on Sat and Sun mornings while the teens are still asleep and my wife is at work.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
I love the show but haven't seen the episode.  I do have to say that at lease once every episode Angela does something that makes my eyes role.  She's basically the series Deus ex Machina, but she is nice to look at.

Offline RyanSchwieger

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:33:15 AM »
Yeah, she had a comment about astrology that I rolled my eyes at in this episode. I like how all of the characters sort of keep the other characters grounded. They usually keep each other in check. Without Booth Temperance would be a haughty, know-it-all bitch. Without Temperance Booth probably wouldn't question things as much as he does. All of the characters seem to have at least one other character that contrasts them and makes them examine their beliefs.
I like to tread a fine line between funny and inappropriate and than realize that I'm not walking on the line i thought i was.

"Anything that tastes good is probably bad for you thanks to evolution being a dick." Johnny Slick

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:23:05 AM »
Yeah, Angela does go all wooy for feel good new-age bullshit sometimes.  But of course, her husband is a conspiracy freak....and Booth is a catholic with all that this entails.

I do like the show though.  Even with all the characters believing all the weird shit it is never aliens, it's never someone on the grassy knoll, its never magic.  The one long term conspiracy involved one of the people at the lab...so was very emotional and not horribly far fetched.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
I was really talking about the magic Angela does with computer graphics and facial reconstruction or things that seem completely unrelated to her apparent expertise as an artist.  It seems like if they ever need a random skill to get the break in a case, Angela will have that skill.

I saw the episode.  They make the tv skeptic seem like a jerk(fairly realistic really)  I really liked the resolution of booths story about the yeti.  Most of the chupabra skeptics came across more as denialists than skeptics.  At some point temperance should have atleast explained why its so implausible that animal would have that particular combination of lizard and mammalian features and the weird tooth pattern. 

Offline EmergentSystem

• Well Established
  • Rawr
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
I haven't watched this ep yet. I quite like the show, but they do sometimes do the usual 'there could be something to it' approach. Still, it sure has improved since the first season with all the magical computers and the female lead being absurdly obnoxious. "I speak in jargon that nobody understands, that means I'm the smartest person in the room!" No. Being unable to communicate does not make you smart.

I'm glad they mostly stopped doing that.
Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
“Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

Online jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that Fox Television airs two of the most skeptically-minded TV dramas on the air with Bones and House? Hell, even with the X-Files they provided a balance of skepticism.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:54 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that Fox Television airs two of the most skeptically-minded TV dramas on the air with Bones and House? Hell, even with the X-Files they provided a balance of skepticism.
That doesn't make up for their treatment of Firefly.
--Stephen Hawking

Online jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
That doesn't make up for their treatment of Firefly.

True enough.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline le mig

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Just another dandelion on the winds of forever.
    • My Facebook Info
Re: Bones season 6 episode 18, The Truth in the Myth
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
I just caught the show and knew that I could find a thread on this forum about it..  Now, I'm generally not a fan of the series for many reasons.. but my dad likes it so I try to keep up with it. This episode was totally unexpected for me and blew me out of the water. I'm surprised there's not been more attention given to it because I thought it may be the best show I've ever seen that most creatively illustrates mature skepticism against a backdrop of a wide range of both caricature and more reasonable perspectives.

Maybe it's just my own bias.. but I'd swear at least one of the writers were very familiar with the skeptics movement.. perhaps even friends of the SGU.  The already mentioned criticisms are duly noted.. but if you would allow me to entertain some wild speculations..

(click to show/hide)

I saw the show kind of set up like a funnel.. skeptics will immediately be ignoring the initial red herrings in search for the clues for what really happened. People who know nothing about the subject may toss and turn depending on the shifting revelations. And various degrees of true believers may get sucked in just enough to see it through to the final reveals without sore feelings. Perhaps that's just naive wishful thinking on my part.

(click to show/hide)

Even the title itself is clearly a lure for true believers... instead of myth busting.. What IS "the truth in the myth?"

(click to show/hide)
... Out of it all, Booth very effectively goaded Brennan to end up investigating much more like our own Joe Nickell than the debunking style of our unfortunate victim skeptic. A moral tale for us all perhaps?

(click to show/hide)

Any thoughts on all my perhaps over-exuberant show deconstruction? 
"Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense, differing from the latter only as a veteran may differ from a raw recruit.. as the guardsman's cut and thrust differ from the manner in which a savage wields his club."
-- T. H. Huxley

Offline le mig

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Just another dandelion on the winds of forever.
    • My Facebook Info
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
Poking around on facebook for a trace of this episode.. Joe Nickell and Rebecca were on top of this immediately after it was broadcast:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/death_by_chupacabra/
"Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense, differing from the latter only as a veteran may differ from a raw recruit.. as the guardsman's cut and thrust differ from the manner in which a savage wields his club."
-- T. H. Huxley

Offline RyanSchwieger

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 05:20:09 AM »
WOW! That's so cool. I love this show, and i agree that it was one of the best episodes of the entire show.

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:34 AM »
Been watching this show since the beginning. This episode did not surprise me and I enjoyed it thoroughly. There was another episode about a psychic who uses her "power" to find a body and she immediately becomes a suspect (I think I posted about this before). That episode also takes a very good skeptical position.
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:16:35 AM »
Being a fan of Angel, I started watching this show as soon as it came out (same reason I watched Castle on ABC when it started, and continue).  I tend to see projects by actors I've liked and give their new stuff a shot.

I've watched Bones since the beginning.  Sure, there's quite a bit of deus ex machina in the show and things are fanciful...but that's TV.  I really enjoy the show.  It's not as unrealistic as "Chuck", and I love Chuck.  For that matter, it's not near as unrealistic as Fringe or X-Files...and those are considered great shows.

Every mystery ever solved on this show turned out to be Not Magic.  They've dealt with ancient societies, cryptozoology, JFK assassination myths, aliens, psychics etc.etc.  Some might not have been fully "debunked", but none were ever validated.
--Stephen Hawking

personate-rain
personate-rain