Author Topic: New SGU Segment Contest  (Read 19695 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
New SGU Segment Contest
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »
Guys,  Steve and I have been working on a new segment and I thought getting you involved would be fun.  The segment is about scams and the people who run them.  I am going to host the segment. I plan on boiling down the scan into its core elements, discuss variations of the scam and if possible interview someone who ran the scam or studied it.

Here is where you come in.  First, any other ideas on the overall segment would be great to hear.  Like, lets say I record phone calls where I am a reoccurring victim in a recent scam.  Or I go to a live location and let myself fall almost prey. 

Also, I need a name for the segment.  Here are a couple I came up with today. Scam- a- lama-ding -dong.   Ok that one sucks but how about SCAM WOW!  Or how about something more serious sounding like The Hidden Scan Artist.  Brain storm with each other, morph someone else's idea..but only one can win the prize.  Other than doing a good deed by helping the show...I can be persuaded to send the winner some of the new, not yet released or seen by anyone SGU SWAG! 

Get to work!  I will be checking back often dropping my own comments. 
 ;D
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
Re: New SGU Segment Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
Sounds very interesting. You're right though, scam-a-lama-ding-dong does suck  :P Scam Wow is funny for those familiar with Sham Wow but probably a little too "in-joke".

How about.... "Scam School"... no wait that's taken.... "Scam Shop".... "Under the Hoodwinked" (I like that one).... "Jay Gets Hustled".... "The Con Art Review"....

A few other synonyms for scam to work with include: bunko, con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, hustle, scam, scheme, swindle or bamboozle

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »
"All I need is your bank account number"
"Nigerian Nightly News"
"Scam Bait"
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Ctsmith

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
Love the idea. If you're not averse to a little confrontation, perhaps you could discover your inner Chris Hansen and go to town on some scammers. In a more lighthearted, SGU fashion of course.

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »
Let's play Scam or Scum!

alternatively: Howz that Scammy?

and yet: The Scam of Things

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
Hmmm... "Con-sideration"?

Or the old carny stand-by for suckers. "Step right up!". Could work well as a segment name because you can put on the voice and make it recognisable.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:21:29 AM »
I'm partial to "Step right up!" as suggested above.

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:40:41 AM »
I'm partial to "Step right up!" as suggested above.

I like it too, but think it's a little bit too clever. It's the silliness that works. "Science or Fiction"? Silly. "Who's that noisy?" Puerile. "Skeptical Puzzle"? See now why it never caught on? Heck, even the entire show's name isn't exactly meant to be taken seriously. And I love it!  :)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:52:21 AM »
"Bait and Switch"?

This is a great idea for a new segment, Jay. Can't wait!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:38:47 AM »
How about "Taken In" or "Hook, Line, and Skeptic"?
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Somehow they let me have a child... and keep her
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
Scam filter?
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:03:25 AM »
I remember a listener e-mail that you responded to a while ago where you talked about a scam where companies sell items at cheap prices, but get your phone number and then call to try to sell you over priced accessories, and then if you don't buy any, they cancel your order.  It was a very useful segment, and I passed it along to a lot of people.  I think a segment like this on skeptical consumer reporting is a great idea.  It would really show the practical application of skepticism.
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »
Scam-Wow?
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »
Can you clarify a tad on what the segment is going to look like?  It sounds to me like you’re saying that primarily you’re going to find some scam somewhere, dissect it to see how it’s run and why people buy into it, and then possibly interview people about it as well?  It sounds like other people think you’re doing more of an ambush thing and if that’s the case then my suggestions will probably be different.

For now though, how about:

Scam-a-Lot

I Want My Money Back

Scat, Scum Scammmer!

Scams, How Do They Work?!

Scameleon

Wait Wait… Don’t Sell Me

There’s a Scammer Born Every Minute

That’s it for now, I’m sure I’ll be back with more.

ETA:
Jay,

Maybe you could add a poll to this thread with your ideas and then if anyone else's idea gets compliments from at least one or two other people (or if you just happen to like it) then you could add it there.  Just a thought...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:55:23 AM by Eternally Learning »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »
As far as a name goes, I like, "You can be fooled!"
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

personate-rain