Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 797 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: American Gods
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
I read it awhile ago but was not as big a fan as most. My wife never read it, I forgot much of it but a lot is coming back as I see it. I have been explaining some things to her as we go, she will probably read it at some point, only on ep2.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
I really liked the last episode, even if it did seem like it was pretty dismissive of atheists as a group since their treatment of them at least makes sense, in universe. Back to the episode though, Laura was a really compelling character and I loved how she just dealt so non-chalantly with her belief system being being completely overturned, not to mention her life. I'm really interested to see where it goes from here now that it's clear Shadow's perception of his relationship was completely wrong. Also, I'm glad they explained she was calling him "puppy," since I thought she'd been calling him "Papi," and she did NOT seem Hispanic at all. Really confused me.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 04:25:07 AM »
I really liked the last episode, even if it did seem like it was pretty dismissive of atheists as a group since their treatment of them at least makes sense, in universe. Back to the episode though, Laura was a really compelling character and I loved how she just dealt so non-chalantly with her belief system being being completely overturned, not to mention her life. I'm really interested to see where it goes from here now that it's clear Shadow's perception of his relationship was completely wrong. Also, I'm glad they explained she was calling him "puppy," since I thought she'd been calling him "Papi," and she did NOT seem Hispanic at all. Really confused me.

This was fantastic. Gaiman talked about having to remove elements he liked for the betterment of the book (per editors and such), and I feel like we just watched a huge chapter which he was forced to edit out. Laura was ancillary and mysterious in the book... none of the content of this was surprising, but experiencing her say the words and perform the actions that I only imagined or assumed while reading the book means so much now.

I liked the show a lot already, I'm starting to love it.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.