Author Topic: Shaun the Sheep  (Read 151 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Shaun the Sheep
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »
Recently I posted the Shaun the Sheep Movie in the movie thread, but then I discovered that there's also a series, available on Amazon Prime. I am not a fan of that style of animation, but this series (and movie) is so great that even the animation style does not bother me. I love it. It's hilarious.

According to Wikipedia, the show is made using stop-motion animation, which I've always called claymation, its other name. I'm surprised it's still used. I'd have thought that in this day and age, computers would have rendered claymation obsolete. It's got to be extremely tedious. I can understand it, back in the day when every frame of a cartoon had to be drawn by hand. But now???

Anyway, I highly recommend this show. It's delightful.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online bimble

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Shaun the Sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:19:05 PM »
Aardman Animations do almost all their work by stop motion, such as the movie 'Chicken Run', or the series that Shaun the Sheep spun off, the 'Wallace & Gromit' movies.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
Watch some episodes of Creature Comforts. This studio turned quirky English folk into claymation animals. Lots of episodes on YouTube. 

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
While living overseas, I was very surprised to find that Nick Park/Aardman stuff, though not really seen all that much in the U.S., is quite popular in places like Germany.

Toys, school supplies and other merchandise with Shaun the Sheep, Wallace and Gromit and other characters are readily available in toy stores and department stores in Germany and France.  It's always sorta bummed me out that those characters never really caught on with American kids like they did with European kids.

Of course, I'm that weirdo who likes Tin Tin as well.....
Well.  There it is.

Online Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
Funny, I was just thinking something similar to the op.  In my case it was prompted by an a picture of Tim Burton.  I was wondering if he would use stop motion anymore or CGI and whether anyone uses stop Motion anymore.  I guess so, I'd of figured everyone would have gone the way of South Park, using CGI to simulate cardboard cut outs. 

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
Funny, I was just thinking something similar to the op.  In my case it was prompted by an a picture of Tim Burton.  I was wondering if he would use stop motion anymore or CGI and whether anyone uses stop Motion anymore.  I guess so, I'd of figured everyone would have gone the way of South Park, using CGI to simulate cardboard cut outs.

What Aardman did, IIRC, was to substitute their original claymation stop-action with a more efficient CGI approach that simulates the claymation, thus retaining their original look to a large degree.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:15:00 AM »
It's a popular style in my house.  Highly rated among residents aged 4-6.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »

What Aardman did, IIRC, was to substitute their original claymation stop-action with a more efficient CGI approach that simulates the claymation, thus retaining their original look to a large degree.

That makes sense to me.

Before I knew it was claymation, I noticed that some of the characters, especially the pigs, really look like they're made of clay. I've never liked the jerky-motion feel of claymation. But with Shaun, it doesn't bother me at all. It's just so perfect.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck