Author Topic: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About  (Read 2442 times)

Rai and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
Re: Things Movies Get Wrong That You Are A Pedant For Getting Mad About
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
Female scientists. PUH-LEEZE!
Well, in movies and on TV they all worked their way through college as victoria's secrete models.
My point! VS hires Ph.D.s, but only in the liberal arts.
One of the many things that bugged me about the Big Bang Theory was how Bernadette was working part time as a waitress while finishing her PhD in microbiolgy.  It's pretty rare for someone working on a PhD in the biological sciences to not be paid through grants or fellowships or TA assistanceships.  Being a grad student involved in research is a full time job by itself, it's very hard to maintain a second job at the same time and be able to get your work done. 

One caveat to this is a situation where your research is mostly finished and you are just working on writing your dissertation or other papers, in which case you might have time to work a job (but most schools by the time you reach this point you are no longer required to pay tuition outside of student fees, so your financial burden is much less). 
Oddly, I actually know a hot women with a Ph.D in archeaology who worked at as a waitress while getting her Ph.D, she's also married to a loser.  So, there's that.

My wife is way hot. I'm not. I'm a skinny geek.
I'm no loser but certainly she could've done better.
Big bang suspension of disbelief in practice.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
I'd say "pics or it never happened" but that would be rude. And spoil my mental images to boot.  >:D

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
The computer geek who can hack into any system, anywhere, and basically take it over. Not sure if anyone here will remember the movie The Net. I love Sandra Bullock. But that movie is such bullshit. The villain creates a computer virus so that everyone in the entire world will install his antivirus program, so he can make all your records disappear and you become a non-person. And then when the good guys make a virus against his evil antivirus program, magically all the information the bad guy had deleted is restored in an instant. Even a computer ignoramus should realize this is bullshit.

Yeah, a lot of people use weak passwords, but in movies, the computer geek can guess anybody's password. That annoys the shit out of me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »
I love when they guess the password because of obvious clues related to the person. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
I love when they guess the password because of obvious clues related to the person.
When realistically they should just type in 'Password' and its correct.

personate-rain
personate-rain