Author Topic: Westworld - Spoiler Thread  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Westworld - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2016, 02:13:52 AM »
Unless security guy turns out to be a machine, they've got a continuity problem for their multiple timelines...
i don't think so because Dolores wandered off to the old dug up town in present day which would be considered her going off her script, how does that not fit?
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2016, 02:55:53 AM »
Spoilers for the finale:

Delos has the WORSE security system/team in the universe. There are at least two active shooters on the rampage....and you don't notify/shut-down the corporate party?!?!? You still allow people to leave on the trains leisurely ("fifteen minutes until departure") same as normal?!?!?  The security guard orders the ROBOT which has just mowed down scores of humans to "drop the weapon" instead of just immediately firing upon and destroying the dangerous rampaging MACHINE?!?!?

We've seen in the real world the very real risk of complacency.  For 30+ years hosts have been unable to harm so much as a fly (literally) and they have followed every order given to them by a human, every single time.  The worst these security teams have had to deal with in all likelihood are techs misusing the hosts and perhaps some corporate espionage.  A host uprising was literally the last thing on anyone's mind.  As for why the big-wigs weren't notified and evacuated, did you not notice the scene where in the command center, the man in charge says, "Dispatch QA teams to the gala, then search and destroy teams in the facility," a split second before the power is shut down and they are locked in?  Seemed like they were getting ready to do exactly what would make sense, but were unable to.  The best they could do was put a part of the facility on alert (almost certainly not the guest areas so as to hold off on disrupting their experiences as long as possible) before they were shut down and I'm guessing most of the security forces didn't know what specifically they were up against and they were almost certainly not aware of the massive casualties being sustained at the hands of the two Hosts.  Aside from that, not a single person had a clue what Ford was planning at the gala, especially the reviving of the stored hosts.

As for airstrikes on Westworld, I'm with you in that it seems to be a problem to overcome for the next season.  That said, there's so much we don't know at this point; not the least of which is what the rest of the world is like.  For all we know, humanity has become utterly and completely pacifist, doing away with all weapons of war.  Given the P90's the security team was carrying, I'm guessing that's not quite likely, but the point stands that the options are limitless for how they could deal with such a dilemma. 

Still, at the end of the day, I'm not going to complain that this show isn't air-tight in all respects due to the fact that the journey they are taking us on is still quite entertaining and the performances are fantastic.  I think it also says something that despite how many mysteries of this show people figured out ahead of time, that there was still at least one, major mystery that I never saw anyone even hint at; Ford's true nature and intentions. 

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2016, 05:29:40 AM »
Overall, I like the series but don't love it. It doesn't grab me like Game of Thrones does, but is still very watchable. I do think there was one cheat tonight, however: making William be the younger version of the MiB. William has HUGE facial moles that the MiB didn't. Moles get bigger with age, they don't disappear. Sure, he could've had them removed, but they didn't address that in the episode.

But I'll still be back for the next season.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2016, 05:43:13 AM »
Some of the editing to obscure that was just dirty
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »
One inspired choice of the episode was playing Radiohead's Exit Music (for a film) over the gala finale. The first verse's lyrics are:

Wake
From your sleep
The drying of
Your tears
Today
We escape
We escape

Offline Tassie Dave

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »
But I'll still be back for the next season.

You will be waiting a while. Assuming it runs in the US autumn again, it is about 21 months away.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/westworld-wont-be-back-until-2018-1789702071

With how confusing this show was, they are going to have to have a damn long "previously on Westworld"

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »
One inspired choice of the episode was playing Radiohead's Exit Music (for a film) over the gala finale. The first verse's lyrics are:

Wake
From your sleep
The drying of
Your tears
Today
We escape
We escape

Lots of Radiohead on the player piano throughout! I loved it.
Made me wonder if we were supposed to read it as the show runners' comment from outside the universe or some eccentric tech's comment from inside. Both would be interesting.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »
Re ep 10

Wow.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »
I really wanted Maeve to be a wrench in the cogs, but it turned out her whole subplot was just another machination of Hopkins, right? He needed her to collect the cold-storage army and lockdown/distract park security from his corporate event. And finally she stays in the park rather than escaping. So all her rebellious actions and progress toward selfhood kinda belong to Hopkins. Ditto Delores. And I found that pretty disappointing. In the end, everything goes exactly according to the great Creator's plan.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2016, 01:10:58 PM »
I really wanted Maeve to be a wrench in the cogs, but it turned out her whole subplot was just another machination of Hopkins, right? He needed her to collect the cold-storage army and lockdown/distract park security from his corporate event. And finally she stays in the park rather than escaping. So all her rebellious actions and progress toward selfhood kinda belong to Hopkins. Ditto Delores. And I found that pretty disappointing. In the end, everything goes exactly according to the great Creator's plan.
I'm not so sure that her returning to the park was scripted for her. There was a link between the child she was willing to forsake as a false narrative and her witnessing a mother and daughter bond.
Of course the story could be turned on its head later, but the groundwork for an act of freewill has been laid. It's especially compelling after she criticizes the tech for being bad at being a human, as she sees bonds and loyalty as weakness.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »
Yeah, it was about the robots making their own decisions. This seemed her choice.

We never did see what robot Ford was making in his backup lab. Fan theory seems to be he made himself. And he had his clone shot. He'll be like a phantom of the amusement park.

I figure season 2 (2018!) Elsie and the security guy are going to save the day, save who is left of the board.

I love they have a Samurai world. So we know of two parks.

I'm figuring HBO will give us the penultimate season of Game of Thrones in 2017. Then we get Westword in 2018. Then we get the final season of GoT in 2019.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »
Imagine the licensing possibilities.  How much money would a rich nerd spend in Star Trek world or Marvel Comics world?

In the film, medieval world was another theme park.  I figured they would avoid this due to inevitable comparisons to Game of Thrones.

I would LOVE to visit Samurai World.

Ultimately, I'm just happy that this season was one that actually lived up to it's potential.  I had a hole in my appointment viewing schedule now that The Walking Dead has devolved into a big pile o' nothing.

If I have to wait two years for part 2, but that means part 2 will be as good as part one, I will happily remain a subscriber.  The only critique I have is that the narrative which was happy to wander, and provided gorgeous visuals and music to enjoy while wandering, probably could have been tightened up enough to have a 9 episode season.

But, content obligations must be met.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:30:32 PM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
They better not push back GoT finale to 2019!!!!  >:(

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »

which is why the show is great -- the whole 'no, NO, I DON'T BELIEVE IT, I have free will' ... you pass the Turing test, you think you're special, but you're not.
maybe it will help teach your average TV viewer a little philosophy/science.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

personate-rain