Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 271308 times)

Offline Old Hoplite

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Molon Labe
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »
Fair game
I'm at work and can't hot link pic's.

It was pretty good but I already knew the basic story. It was well acted and if it is accurate did not realize how much Valerie Plame was doing at the CIA.

8/10

It's so off base that is is not even wrong.
Beer is proof God loves us. Ben Franklin

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »
Fair game
I'm at work and can't hot link pic's.

It was pretty good but I already knew the basic story. It was well acted and if it is accurate did not realize how much Valerie Plame was doing at the CIA.

8/10

It's so off base that is is not even wrong.

I have it at home from Netflix, but actually think I'm going to return it w/o watching it.  Not sure why I had it in my queue...
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Old Hoplite

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Thor:  I give it 3 Stars.

Good special effects. The humor was about right.  However the action was suprisingly compressed for a big action film.
Got the feeling that Branagh digging for some kind of deeper meaning and charater development instead of just directing a super hero film.

The actress that played Sif was way over dressed.
Beer is proof God loves us. Ben Franklin

Offline Halloran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
The Fallen

3/5

This was sold to me as a Labrynth meets Princess Bride, but wasnt as good as either. It has some interesting story and visual elements (reminded me of The Cell in that aspect).
I liked the attempt, but it was hard to follow without reading the back of the box first.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
Thor - 7/10  WARNING: SOME SPOILERS BELOW

Just saw this yesterday and was pretty happy with it.  On a purely technical level, everything seemed top-notch and believable to me.  The fantastical elements looked amazing and didn't distract from what was going on, and the likely near-consistant green screen work for those scenes was very convincing.  The story was equally well-done, and was of far higher quality than I would have figured for this kind of movie.  Honestly, I thought it was going to end up being a little goofy, but the Asgard scenes were very compelling and I completely bought what went down there.

In stark contrast though were the scenes on Earth.  Overall, I didn't have a huge problem with them as for the most part everything made sense.  What I think fell flat on its face though was the romance between Thor and Jane.  It just didn't fit and didn't feel genuine at all.  Whenever they'd be together, the parts of the conversation where they were supposed to be "falling in love" were basically relegated to one of them saying something odd or funny and them both laughing at the same time with that lovey look in their eyes.  Of the reviews I've read, I actually disagree with some of the main negative points they've made though.

The main one of them is that Thor's change from cocky upstart at the beginning to humbled selfless hero at the end, over the course of a week didn't make sense.  I completely bought this change though.  When Loki lied to Thor, saying that Odin died of stress over the war and Thor's banishment, that he was now unable to ever return to Asguard, and that his own mother even forbade him from ever returning, it seemed like an event which could very quickly snap him into reality and help him see what an ass he'd been.  That the movie tried to pin his change on him falling in love with Jane though, was totally ridiculous but it doesn't change that the impetus for change was there.

All in all, it was entertaining and compelling and hopefully spells that there are good things in store with the Avengers movie.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:18:42 PM by Eternally Learning »

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
In the theater, Thor. I'd also give it a 3 out of 5.

Netflixed "Easy A" last night. Pretty good. Again, 3 out of 5.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
You know I bought the romance between Jane and Thor.  The writing and acting left it at the "budding romance" stage. 

It might have been due to both leads being insanely too good looking though.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Halloran

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 12:47:40 AM »
Xmen First Class

4/5

Good actors, good story and lots of fun. Definitely worth matinee prices.

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1

2/5

As with the other Potter movies, the acting and effects were good, but having never read any of the books, and having not recently seen the last movie, I was completely lost for most of this one. They kept mentioning characters and people from past movies, and frankly, I couldn't keep track of it all. Not a lot of action in this one, either, compared with the previous 6.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1

2/5

As with the other Potter movies, the acting and effects were good, but having never read any of the books, and having not recently seen the last movie, I was completely lost for most of this one. They kept mentioning characters and people from past movies, and frankly, I couldn't keep track of it all. Not a lot of action in this one, either, compared with the previous 6.

The action is almost entirely in part 2. And there will be a lot of action

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
Commando  4/5

This flick holds up surprisingly well. :flame:

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
5/10
Blue Valentine. It got the 5 for the hot naked people.  Really though I didn't connect with the characters or care about them at all. I was multitasking and gaming on my laptop while watching it so maybe I was just distracted but it just seemed like 2 chain smoking emo kids who sometimes get naked.  Meh my x-GF loved it and recommended it
 :-\

Online Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »
Good 4 / 5

I'm not usually a fan of drama, as it tends toward melodrama.  I'm also not a fan of the simple good vs bad clear cut morality of most films about WW2, the Nazis, etc...  However, this was extremely well done; I just don't know hoe to compliment it without spoiling anything about it.  It's the kind of movie that you'll enjoy more if you watch it not knowing too much about it before hand.  Recommended.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
Starship Troopers: 8/10. Still awesome after all these years.

For current movies... Thor: 7/10. Entertaining flick, worth a watch.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
X-men original class. If you like the others you will like this one. For those who aren't invested I think you will like it if you like super hero stuff. 8/10.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

personate-rain
personate-rain