Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 305652 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8205 on: January 07, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
Riddick (fuel oil/10)

An old friend says her engine runs on Deisel. I quite like him as an actor, but not for his choice e of roles. This character has gone a little too far for my taste and sensibilities. That's the writing more than anything, but still. Uneven characters, meh writing, good action, some gore. YMMV
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #8206 on: January 07, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
Riddick (fuel oil/10)

An old friend says her engine runs on Deisel. I quite like him as an actor, but not for his choice of roles. This character has gone a little too far for my taste and sensibilities. That's the writing more than anything, but still. Uneven characters, meh writing, good action, some gore. YMMV

I agree with that statement. The Pacifier turned me off to him. I haven't watched many, if any, of his movies since then.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8207 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
My issue with Diesel is that as of late he's gotten *way* too egotistical and I think it shows in the limited roles he plays in. I know, for instance, that in the last Fast and Furious movie he straight-up refused to be in a scene that showed his character losing a fight (to Dwayne Johnson, of all people, who also apparently has a clause like that but at least there I can see where a former / perhaps future professional wrestler would want that kind of thing) and so as a result they had to shoot this really weird scene that wound up as, like, a draw or something. Apparently that thing carries over everywhere; he's got a rep for being tough to work with in an industry where people most of us would consider unbelievably hard to work with is the norm.

That being said... my favorite roles of his in no particular order:

Pitch Black
The Iron Giant
Guardians of the Galaxy
Saving Private Ryan
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8208 on: January 07, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
Kubo and the Two Strings9/10
Great visuals, great music, original and imaginative story....yep. This is an amazing film.
I liked the interesting way he won in the end but maybe could have done without the protracted ending.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8209 on: January 07, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »
Denial -  9/10

Very well made in all respects and an intensely skeptical movie.  The only thing that rubbed me wrong was that perhaps the portrayal of David Irving was a tad mustache-twirling, but in looking at actual interviews with the man, it seems they captured him pretty well.  Cannot really say enough good about this film so just go see it.

Just watched this. Very skeptical indeed, and a pretty good courtroom drama. I agree with your assessment, though I'd give it an 8/10.

(click to show/hide)

I'd deduct a point because, as much as it appeals to my skeptical sensibilities, I felt there was relatively little tension in the movie, and there were a few story lines that weren't fleshed out very well (like the side arc about Laura Tyler, the young lawyer).

As far as painting Irving as a mustache twirling villain is concerned, all of the really vile, prize winning stuff comes from actual real life quotes afaik, and other than those he wasn't portrayed as particularly evil - a bit loud mouthed and arrogant, at most.
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #8210 on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
Is it at RedBox?

Is what at Redbox? (But regardless of your answer, I have no idea. I get my DVDs/BDs from Netflix.) I kind of thought they only had new movies. When your entire selection must fit into a vending machine, it's got to be limited. So George of the Jungle probably isn't, but Tarzan probably is. (?)

ETA: I'm not recommending Tarzan. I just didn't think it was a complete waste of two hours.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8211 on: January 07, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »
The Birth of a Nation (2016): This was an OK film. It was technically well made; the acting and writing were good and it was nicely shot. I do have two problems with the movie, though;

(click to show/hide)

All in all, it's not a bad movie, and I think the story deserves to be told, but I wish they had made it just slightly more nuanced. I think it would have done more justice to the actual historical events. As it is, it detracted from my viewing pleasure enough that I can only give it 6.5/10.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:29:00 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8212 on: January 08, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
The Girl with All the Gifts (2016): This is a cute little story about teacher miss Justineau, and her favorite little student Melanie, who wants to eat people.

It's kind of an above average 28 Days Later type "infected" horror/drama movie, but slightly unusual, with a small bit of Lord of the Flies thrown in and some drama. I really liked the visuals (sets, camerawork, color palette, and lighting - though some scenes were a bit dark). That aspect of it kind of reminded me of Children Of Men. The genre is a bit overused these days, so some parts of the story were a little predictable, but this was still well worth the 1h:45m. 7.5/10

The Siege of Jadotville (2016): Good war movie about the titular incident during the Congo crisis in the 60s. The enemy is mostly faceless cannon fodder, the Irish are the noble heroes who slaughter them by the hundreds. Another 7.5/10.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:57:36 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #8213 on: January 09, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »
Sour Grapes (documentary, not the Larry David "comedy")  

8/10

A true crime documentary about a notorious wine counterfeiter Rudy Kurniawan and how he scammed over $35 million from uber rich wine "experts" around the nation.

The documentary provides loads of footage of Kurniawan doing his thing and interviews his friends and various figures from the wine collecting world and the owner/operator of the Chateu Clos Saint-Denis, the famed burgundy vineyard that Kurniawan counterfeited.  The most interesting figure is that of David Koch.  Yes, that David Koch.  He was scammed for several million apparently.   

I enjoyed this doc because it was a true crime story that had no dead bodies, no horrific life changing events (well, maybe for Rudy).   Three friends in the hospitality industry instantly sprung to mind when I watched this doc.  Over the years they've shared horror stories about the folks who love high end wines and this documentary confirms lots of what they've said.

Taking that, and the various published articles I've read about how many certified, educated, wine "experts" have no f#$king idea what they're talking about in scientific studies and what you get is a good old fashioned dose of delicious schadenfreude.  As David Koch talked about the various fakes he purchased I found it tough to have sympathy for a man who casually discussed buying dozens, hundreds of $50,000+ bottles of wine.

from the New Yorker review:
Quote from: New Yorker
What “Sour Grapes” does succeed in conveying is a detailed, and largely unsympathetic, portrait of the élite stratum of wine collectors that Kurniawan so spectacularly infiltrated. His scam unfolded against the backdrop of the 2008 financial crisis, and his circle of boys’-club oenophiles comes across as a bunch of tone-deaf hedonists. While being trailed by the documentary’s filmmakers, the collector Jefery Levy, a Hollywood film producer who wears his gold aviator sunglasses indoors, brags about guzzling two hundred thousand dollars in wine with a gang of connoisseurs who call themselves the “Twelve Angry Men”; on another occasion, one of Levy’s drinking buddies, a private-equity investor, stares into the camera to volunteer advice on the best years for French sparkling wine. “Buy ’96 Champagne. All day,” he says, swirling a wine glass the size of a fishbowl while seated in the back of a chauffeured S.U.V. “If you can’t afford that, buy ’02. If you can’t afford that, drink fucking beer.”
  Fuck those guys.

The only figure I truly felt bad for was the wine maker, who was unwittingly dragged into a multi-million dollar international crime caper when all he was trying to do was make good wine.

The epilogue was the most interesting to me as a skeptic as investigators discussed that many people who were part of the fraudulent auctions received refunds, but many others, to the tune of about 10,000 bottles have never returned their wines.  The investigators and wine experts all agreed, these folks are probably happy NOT knowing if their wine is fake or not, because cheap plonk with that fancy label will make them just as happy as the real thing.  They don't want to know and cant tell by taste if they bought a fake. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:03:39 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #8214 on: January 09, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
Sushi: The Global Catch on Netflix.  7/10
Interesting documentary, that ended up being mostly about Tuna. I have a background in aquaculture research and was surprised at how much time they devoted to the potential culture of farmed tuna.
http://www.sushitheglobalcatch.com/

Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice 5/10 wasn't as bad as Suicide Squad which is probably not a fair comparison, but I can't help making it sense I saw them both so close together. I think I enjoyed BvS better because I saw SS first. I mean after a trainwreck, a 12-car pileup seems much better. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting either. Love Eisenberg, but hated his Lex Luthor character, it was like he was channeling Jim Carry as Ace Ventura or something.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8215 on: January 09, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
over $35 million from uber rich wine "experts" around the nation.

casually discussed buying dozens, hundreds of $50,000+ bottles of wine.

It drives me insane that I could literally live a lifetime off of 10 bottles of fucking wine.

Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #8216 on: January 09, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »
Big Hero 6 (9/10)

Watched it last night with Mrs. Brillig for some lighthearted entertainment. I'd seen it before, but had forgotten many of the plot points. I still love the voice acting and the animation, but the story is better than I remembered. This time I noted many references to Iron Man as well. Gonna have to watch that one again now.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #8217 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
It drives me insane that I could literally live a lifetime off of 10 bottles of fucking wine.

Don't forget.  10 bottles of wine that the owners may never drink, and if they do, might not be able to tell a difference between it, and this:

(click to show/hide)
Well.  There it is.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8218 on: January 09, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »

Don't forget.  10 bottles of wine that the owners may never drink, and if they do, might not be able to tell a difference between it, and this:

(click to show/hide)

Mooohn!

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #8219 on: January 09, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
Love Eisenberg, but hated his Lex Luthor character, it was like he was channeling Jim Carry as Ace Ventura or something.

I feel the exact same way. Love him as an actor, but can't stomach his trying to give Lex a "Joker" type personality.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain