Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 315603 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #9000 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
Have you watched any of the more recent teenage movies such as Easy A?

Many. I am a fan of the genre. Maybe that's because I'm still sort of a kid myself in my own mind. }|<o)

Speaking of which: Did I mention it was movie night? Copenhagen (2014) will be my last movie tonight, and it's also one of my favorite movies of the past few years. Again, I was almost sure I'd reviewed this before, but forum search didn't turn up any ratings. I'm not sure why I love this movie so much, but it definitely has something. It's a romantic drama with a small bit of mystery. It deals with an uncomfortable subject; guy (Gethin Anthony, who plays a gigantic asshole, and plays him well) looking for his family in Denmark gets help from a Danish girl. After he eventually falls for her he finds out
(click to show/hide)
Copenhagen is a beautiful city and the movie looks very nice. I really liked the soundtrack. My one nitpick is Sebastian Armesto as the best friend. I just didn't find his acting convincing. But he wasn't in that many scenes, so 9.5/10
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:53:31 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9001 on: April 22, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
Have you watched any of the more recent teenage movies such as Easy A?

I loved Easy A. That was a brilliant movie.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9002 on: April 22, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »
Spaceballs. 7/10. It was a fun movie. Not great. Mostly a vehicle for amusing jokes. I quite enjoyed some of the jokes, but nothing had me in a real belly laugh. I like the way it makes fun of Star Wars. Rick Moranis was a nice spoof of Darth Vader. The princess in Spaceballs is way hotter than the one in Star Wars. I thought the Winnebago space ship was kind of dumb.

I realized only quite recently that Ludicrous mode in the top trim lines of the Tesla Model S is a homage to Spaceballs, and there's some talk that the upcoming Roadster Mk II (in five years or so) will have "Maximum Plaid" mode and be even quicker than the P100DL Model S.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9003 on: April 22, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
Spaceballs. 7/10. It was a fun movie. Not great. Mostly a vehicle for amusing jokes. I quite enjoyed some of the jokes, but nothing had me in a real belly laugh. I like the way it makes fun of Star Wars. Rick Moranis was a nice spoof of Darth Vader. The princess in Spaceballs is way hotter than the one in Star Wars. I thought the Winnebago space ship was kind of dumb.

I realized only quite recently that Ludicrous mode in the top trim lines of the Tesla Model S is a homage to Spaceballs, and there's some talk that the upcoming Roadster Mk II (in five years or so) will have "Maximum Plaid" mode and be even quicker than the P100DL Model S.

Best SW spoof ever.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9004 on: April 22, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »
American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (1989): You know, I'm starting to get a little suspicious of this Curtis Jackson guy. Wherever he goes, ninjas invariably show up... Or maybe it's just that ninjas are EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME and we just can't see them! Still, he doesn't seem very surprised about it either (his reaction is basically a monotonous "oh, it's ninjas again"). I'm keeping my eye on that guy.
This time around some big pharma guy slash international terrorist mastermind has convinced the ninjas that his work is for a noble cause. He wants an American ninja (incidentally, not Michael Dudikoff in this one) because he needs to show his terrorist customers that his latest supervirus works on a super human... or something like that? But then the second he's infected him he sends him off on a boat so that no-one will be able to find him. I dunno man. It's not like the story really matters anyway.
Anyway, back to the ninja. Their black and colorful outfits render them invisible in what might be the world's most colorful, dimly lit laboratory (with weird mostly naked dudes just kind of... standing there for no apparent reason). Look at all those differently colored vials:

One of the movie's main problems is that there are many scenes that presumably have ninjas fighting in them, but because ninjas can't be seen with the naked eye, you're basically staring at a boring static shot of the environment in which the fighting is occurring. I mean, look:

Why have a shot of an empty fighting ring like that in your movie, you might ask? Ah, but then again, maybe there are ninja in that shot! For instance, look at this movie still in which the location of each ninja has been indicated in red (although personally, I don't see anything there):

Still, I've rated the others 11/10 and I'm sticking with it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:04:14 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9005 on: April 22, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »

Best SW spoof ever.

My favorite gag in the whole movie was ...

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9006 on: April 22, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »

Best SW spoof ever.

My favorite gag in the whole movie was ...

(click to show/hide)

Mine was when Lord Helmet is acting all tough in his deep voice then opens the Mercedes door and yells like a little kid, "She's not in there!"
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9007 on: April 23, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
Doctor Strange 7/10
It was an entertaining movie although I do have a bit of trouble with the reality bending.

Edit: Note that there is a mid credit and an end credit scene.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:08:38 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9008 on: April 23, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
Hook. 8/10. It still holds up. Dustin Hoffman is brilliant as Captain Hook. Currently available free on Amazon Prime Streaming.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9009 on: April 23, 2017, 04:59:55 PM »
Youth in Oregon (2016): Dramedy (though more drama than -dark- comedy) about a guy taking his father-in-law to Oregon because he wants to be euthanized. Nobody takes the old man seriously, and they all think he's just going to either change his mind or be turned down because he is not terminally ill. Little do they know he's actually got a fatal heart condition. Great movie (the IMDB rating is seriously criminally low, I'm guessing because a lot of anti-euthanasia folks rated it a 1), but it has some massively flawed characters. Still, that is kind of what makes the movie work. It deals very honestly with the topic of euthanasia. Oh, and the movie looks very nice. 8+/10

Wish I Was Here (2014): Zach Braff dramedy (this one is about an even split between comedy and drama). It's about a guy dealing with his family life, his father with terminal cancer, and his lack of career. I liked it a lot. If you've seen other movies directed by Braff, particularly in this genre (e.g.: Garden State), this one has his typical polished style, with dramatic and comedic moments interspersed by quirky elements of fantasy and some vague but harmless semi-spiritual philosophizing. 8/10
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:41:33 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #9010 on: April 23, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »
Silent Movie

7/10

Threadbare story held together by slapstick that mostly lands.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9011 on: April 23, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
EDIT: Wow, so totally the wrong thread. Moved.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:04:22 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9012 on: April 24, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Scarface 7/10
I never liked this film when I was younger and as a whole, I still dont, but I appreciate it far more.
Its very well shot and Pacino's performance is fantastic. Its a well told story with very little waste.
All in all though its just not for me. I dont buy Tony Montana as a character, I didnt buy his seduction of Pfeiffer and I found it hard to believe that his boss would not have him killed pretty early on.
His rise and turning of Franks men was also way too glossed over.
I did find the first hour very enjoyable though and always do. I think the themes and the struggles in things like this just dont appeal to me at all.
The final scene is quite a shame since the film had been pretty realistic up to that point.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9013 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
Frozen 8.5/10
Sure it is a kid's movie but still an enjoyable movie. Hadn't watched it in a while.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #9014 on: April 25, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
Scarface 7/10
I never liked this film when I was younger and as a whole, I still dont, but I appreciate it far more.
Its very well shot and Pacino's performance is fantastic. Its a well told story with very little waste.
All in all though its just not for me. I dont buy Tony Montana as a character, I didnt buy his seduction of Pfeiffer and I found it hard to believe that his boss would not have him killed pretty early on.
His rise and turning of Franks men was also way too glossed over.
I did find the first hour very enjoyable though and always do. I think the themes and the struggles in things like this just dont appeal to me at all.
The final scene is quite a shame since the film had been pretty realistic up to that point.

I think the first time I saw that was in HS, and pretty much fed a diet of bloody horror movies and stuff for a couple years at that point, the end scene was memorable, but wasn't shocking as seeing it again 30+ years later.

personate-rain