Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 315604 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #9015 on: April 25, 2017, 11:25:16 PM »
Rocketeer 7.5/10
It has been years since I watched it and it is still a pretty great movie. This is especially true when you remember that the movie is not CGI like modern movies. Jennifer Connelly is absolutely gorgeous as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9016 on: April 26, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
The Amazing Spiderman. 7/10. I watched this movie after its sequel (not sure why, probably because I rented the sequel thinking I'd already seen the first one, confused by the other Spiderman movies). I liked this one a lot more than its sequel.

Okay, spoiler because I'm not sure how much of this will be considered spoilers:

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #9017 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
@Daniel
(click to show/hide)
Edit, Don't get me wrong, I agree with that its kinda crazy that Peter P. is both spiderman and a genius but to be fair, the webs shooting out of his arms don't make a lot of sense either way. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:14:26 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9018 on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
Daniel,I agree with your gripe. It bugs the absolute shit out of me too in the comics, but it is ultimately more true to the comics.
To me, it was an area where Raimi improved on the source material and there are other (better) ways to show that Peter is a science geek.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9019 on: April 26, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »
I'm fine with Peter being a science geek. I guess I want my fantasy superheroes to be fantasy characters, and my billionaire crime fighters with tech toys to be guys with tech toys. I don't much car for the hybrid.

So you guys are saying that the Spiderman movies with "Amazing" in the title are more true to the comic books even though they were made later than the ones without? Okay. I can believe that. I've never had any interest in the comic books. I liked Donald Duck and Felix the Cat and their ilk when I was a kid, and have not read comic books since I was 13 or 14, except for a Felix comic book in Spanish that my mom gave me when I started taking Spanish class, and a couple of Spanish comics I read while in Mexico: Condorito, which was a puerile comic with very low-key sex and toilet humor, and Mafalda, an Argentine social-satire comic I'd compare to Pogo.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #9020 on: April 26, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
For whatever reason, I give just accept that the comic book movies are fantasy occasionally disguised as science fiction.  Normally, I agree with Daniel, I prefer Sci Fi to be relatively hard sci fi with few to zero fantasy elements.  I just give a pass to Spider-man out of nostalgia.  I was a teen age nerd and thus the 13 year old me was the target audience for Peter Parker. 

Also give a pass to Sci Fi with FTL travel, artificial gravity, and pretty much anything that's just a compromise to adjust for modern technology and story telling techniques to simulate more advanced technology.  Humanoid aliens for instance.  But that's another conversation.

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9021 on: April 26, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »
Well the billionaires are science geeks too.
In the comics, Batman designs and builds all his own tech (or the bulk of it at least) the movie had to make Lucias Fox into a 'Q' so the audience could relate more to Bruce and know what was going on with the gadgets (in the Burton version, he pulls out the gadgets but theres no explanation other than 'Im Batman'. Which is good enough for me actually...)
I think the superhero comics in the last few years (because as you say, there are LOADS of genres of comics. Superheroes are just the 'Fast&Furious' of the medium) have really dropped the ball on making science cool and relatable at the expense of creating libertarian uber thinkers. I cant completely blame them, they arent science promoters and its fucking hard for a person of average intelligence to write a genius (christ is it hard).

I think your observations are spot on though because you are coming to the story as a story and not an adaptation. Fans like me tend to squint between the lines to make it make sense and can do so because comics are like the bible- If you read enough you can make a case for ANYTHING.

Online SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9022 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »
The Amazing Spiderman. 7/10. I watched this movie after its sequel (not sure why, probably because I rented the sequel thinking I'd already seen the first one, confused by the other Spiderman movies). I liked this one a lot more than its sequel.

Okay, spoiler because I'm not sure how much of this will be considered spoilers:

(click to show/hide)
In the McGuire version his webs shoot out of his wrists. He didn't invent anything. It was more spidery.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9023 on: April 26, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
Frozen 8.5/10
Sure it is a kid's movie but still an enjoyable movie. Hadn't watched it in a while.
Have you seen "Epic"? Beyonce plays a magic princess.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #9024 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
In the comics, Batman designs and builds all his own tech (or the bulk of it at least) the movie had to make Lucias Fox into a 'Q' so the audience could relate more to Bruce and know what was going on with the gadgets (in the Burton version, he pulls out the gadgets but theres no explanation other than 'Im Batman'. Which is good enough for me actually...)
(click to show/hide)
To be fair, you don't really need any explanation other than, "He's a billionaire." 

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9025 on: April 27, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
(click to show/hide)
To be fair, you don't really need any explanation other than, "He's a billionaire."
You dont. But it makes him a far less interesting and impressive character.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #9026 on: April 27, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
Frozen 8.5/10
Sure it is a kid's movie but still an enjoyable movie. Hadn't watched it in a while.
Have you seen "Epic"? Beyonce plays a magic princess.

What do you mean?

Are you saying Beyonce isn't a magic princess?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9027 on: April 27, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013): Another movie I could've sworn I'd reviewed before on this thread, but it doesn't show up in search. Definitely one of my favorites of the past few years. The theme of Walter more or less accidentally breaking free from his square life is really compelling. I like how they play with colors and shapes to emphasize this; in the early scenes, almost everything is literally square (or at least straight), and grey-blueish, and as he starts breaking free the environment becomes more organic. It's visually stunning, and I love the soundtrack as well. The eHarmony product placement was so blatant and obvious that it actually didn't really bother me at all. They just made it part of the story, and it kind of worked. 9+/10
Mooohn!

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #9028 on: April 27, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013): Another movie I could've sworn I'd reviewed before on this thread, but it doesn't show up in search. Definitely one of my favorites of the past few years. The theme of Walter more or less accidentally breaking free from his square life is really compelling. I like how they play with colors and shapes to emphasize this; in the early scenes, almost everything is literally square (or at least straight), and grey-blueish, and as he starts breaking free the environment becomes more organic. It's visually stunning, and I love the soundtrack as well. The eHarmony product placement was actually so blatant and obvious that it actually didn't really bother me at all. They just made it part of the story, and it kind of worked. 9+/10

Are you effing kidding me? this movie sucked roadkill skunk anus. I'd give it a 3.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9029 on: April 27, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
(click to show/hide)
You dont. But it makes him a far less interesting and impressive character.

What makes Bruce Wayne interesting is what he's decided to do with his money. Rather than traveling around having fun (as I do with far less money) or surrounding himself with pretty girls (as I would do if I had that much money) he's invested it in gadgets that allow him to fight crime and rescue pretty women from nasty muggers and generally save the city from homicidal maniacs.

Spiderman uses his supernatural powers to fight crime. Batman uses his money to fight crime. Both are interesting, though the earlier movies are (IMO) more so than the ones that followed.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain