Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 285730 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8220 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice 5/10 wasn't as bad as Suicide Squad which is probably not a fair comparison, but I can't help making it sense I saw them both so close together. I think I enjoyed BvS better because I saw SS first. I mean after a trainwreck, a 12-car pileup seems much better. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting either. Love Eisenberg, but hated his Lex Luthor character, it was like he was channeling Jim Carry as Ace Ventura or something.

Honestly, I would say that the extended version of the movie fills in enough stuff to jump it up to around a 6.5.
To me, there was just too much that found its way to the cutting room floor otherwise.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8221 on: January 09, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice 5/10 wasn't as bad as Suicide Squad which is probably not a fair comparison, but I can't help making it sense I saw them both so close together. I think I enjoyed BvS better because I saw SS first. I mean after a trainwreck, a 12-car pileup seems much better. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting either. Love Eisenberg, but hated his Lex Luthor character, it was like he was channeling Jim Carry as Ace Ventura or something.

Honestly, I would say that the extended version of the movie fills in enough stuff to jump it up to around a 6.5.
To me, there was just too much that found its way to the cutting room floor otherwise.

Yeah, the extended version does make it a little better. Just a little though, imo.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #8222 on: January 09, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Can they make a version with that stuff put in, but remove like 50% of the emo scenes from both Bats and Supes?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #8223 on: January 09, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Can they make a version with that stuff put in, but remove like 50% of the emo scenes from both Bats and Supes?
Yeah, WTF was up with all the dream visions?
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #8224 on: January 09, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
Religulous
5/10

The subject is a good one, but Bill Maher doesn't have much depth here, and is often punching blindly.
Something like this documentary could be --and should be--done by someone with a better understanding of the subjects, their histories (how the religions evolved) and perhaps a more thoughtful introspection of WHY people want, and nurture faith.
I mean, sure, preposterous supernatural stories are just fun to poke at, but if the explanation is supernatural, the preposterous nature of the story kinda goes with the territory.

I find it funny that most of the criticism about this revolves around it being "biased", as I don't think there are many documentaries about religion that aren't biased.

By and large what makes this movie so 'meh' is it is rarely informative and it isn't all that entertaining. While some of his foils come off as real jerks, others come off as punching bags ill-equipped to deal with Maher's professional snark.
Bill's "personal journey" isn't all that interesting and for something that seems to be at the central core of the movie is hardly considered with any real examination.
As a comedian Bill is a bit of a one trick pony, he favors mockery and put-down rather than some of the angles that makes comedy one of the greatest arts of shedding light on subjects.

I think  the tactic of the atheist going after the low-hanging fruit of the unbelievable story is almost always a losing venture. Calling someone's religious narrative "fairy tales" may very well be 100% accurate, but more often than not makes the believer defensive and prone to shut the door on discussion. Yeah, it's true, but sound hostile.

I think the best angle for discussion is going after the very nature of faith itself. Why is faith good? Can faith be questioned? How far does one take faith, and why? Why is your strong faith in X any different than someone elses's faith in Y? What happens when faith confronts a compelling reality that refutes it?

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #8225 on: January 09, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
Westworld (1973) - 2/10

Just didn't do anything for me. A pretty cool premise to backdrop a really boring horror flick. It's 60min of "wow look at all these things people would do if we could make lifelike robots," then 30 min of "oh no, all the robots suddenly turned homicidal!"

I think this was a cheap Hollywood bastardization of some much more interesting sci-fi ideas: no AI here, just malfunctioning robots. The HBO series premier, however, was terrific. Can't wait to see where it goes.

That movie scared the absolute crap out of Younger AQB, man.  Whew.

Rewatched Dazed and Confused; 8/10

I don't know if this is just nostalgia for the dozens of times I watched this as a teenager, but I love this movie so gorram much.  Nothing about this movie represents what high school was like for me, and it is set five years before I was born so no commonality there either, but I just love it.

I know those people.  :)  Perhaps also why I was so fond of the short-lived TV series "Freaks and Geeks."

I think I should get out of the house more to go to the movies.  Also make use of my Hulu subscription and the stuff available on Verizon FiOS.

As for the latter, while my sister was visiting for holidays, we watched The Secret Life of Pets, which I'm scoring 7.7/10.  (It'd have a higher score if the cats-to-dogs ratio were more favorable. ;D )It was very silly, of course, and predictable, but also fun.  A good number of sly cat-related visual jokes.  Worth the six bucks.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8226 on: January 09, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »

Yeah, the extended version does make it a little better. Just a little though, imo.

I only saw the extended version, but I thought it was absolute crap tbh.

EDIT:

My Blind Brother (2016): Dramedy/Romcom. Was alright. Not really laugh out loud funny, more "smirk" or "grin" funny, but it had its charms, the acting was good, and I liked the premise. 7-/10
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:15:04 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8227 on: January 09, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
Hidden Figures
8/10
So much to say about this one.
It follows the story of 3 real life African American women hired by NASA (then NACA) to help perform calculations for the pre computer age space program.
Very monitor spoilers...really it's a true story so I am not using a spoiler tag.

First, the performances are excellent, in particular Jonelle Monae, who is not even an actress.  She is a shoe in for the best support actress role nomination if not a win.  The other performances were also great, but not quite up to that level.
Second, based on what I have read on wikipedia, the movie sticks pretty closely to history, and changes that were made were mostly for economy of story telling and totally rational.   And this is great because the story is so important and really needed to be told.  The women can be proud of this movie that does justice to their story.
The movie did a great job of creating tension, which can be difficult in a period piece. I really liked how it juxtaposes the best and worst of America at the time.  I also liked the secondary tension revolving around the inevitable doom of the department as computers start to take over their jobs.
The main flaw was that the side characters, in particular Jim Parsons and Kevin Costner, were pretty flimsy and obviously existed only as a way to forward plot.  I would have also liked the movie to have started earlier in time.  I wanted to see the development of the computer department and how these women were picked.

But definitely recommend, especially if you are a fan of period movies about this era in American history or the history of the space program.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8228 on: January 09, 2017, 06:42:07 PM »
Hidden Figures
8/10
So much to say about this one.
It follows the story of 3 real life African American women hired by NASA (then NACA) to help perform calculations for the pre computer age space program.
Very monitor spoilers...really it's a true story so I am not using a spoiler tag.

First, the performances are excellent, in particular Jonelle Monae, who is not even an actress.  She is a shoe in for the best support actress role nomination if not a win.  The other performances were also great, but not quite up to that level.
Second, based on what I have read on wikipedia, the movie sticks pretty closely to history, and changes that were made were mostly for economy of story telling and totally rational.   And this is great because the story is so important and really needed to be told.  The women can be proud of this movie that does justice to their story.
The movie did a great job of creating tension, which can be difficult in a period piece. I really liked how it juxtaposes the best and worst of America at the time.  I also liked the secondary tension revolving around the inevitable doom of the department as computers start to take over their jobs.
The main flaw was that the side characters, in particular Jim Parsons and Kevin Costner, were pretty flimsy and obviously existed only as a way to forward plot.  I would have also liked the movie to have started earlier in time.  I wanted to see the development of the computer department and how these women were picked.

But definitely recommend, especially if you are a fan of period movies about this era in American history or the history of the space program.
I liked this, it was very feel good and definitely a story that NEEDS to be told. There are so many positives about making this movie that it erases the very few surface complaints I have about it.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8229 on: January 09, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
Moonlight
10/10

I don't think filmmaking gets much better than this. I have to admit I didn't know a lot about it going in, but it exposes a piece of life we rarely ever get to see if you're not living that reality. There had better be plenty of Oscars on hand for this.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8230 on: January 09, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »
Angel's Dance (1999): Maybe it was the 90s TV movie nostalgia talking, but this was unexpectedly awesome! It has the typical made for TV production values, but it doesn't look bad, the acting is great, and I liked the music. You need a lot of suspension of disbelief, but it's just very entertaining, it was never boring, and the ending was excellent. 8+/10.
Mooohn!

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #8231 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
Love Eisenberg, but hated his Lex Luthor character, it was like he was channeling Jim Carry as Ace Ventura or something.

I feel the exact same way. Love him as an actor, but can't stomach his trying to give Lex a "Joker" type personality.

I still haven't met anyone who can answer this question about the movie.  This question being one of the fundamental flaws of the film.....

Here we go:

Batman's motivations are crystal clear.  He says Superman must be stopped because he's a danger to every living thing on earth.  "If there's even a 1% chance, blah blah blah..."

Superman is a little more of an enigma, but this serves Batman's plot.  Ultimately we know, because of the other films and the cultural memory of the character that Superman is on the side of life and good....

Lex Luthor.  He wants to kill Batman and Superman and unleash a world destroying alien to finish the heroes and who's wrath I guess he assumes he'll survive because?  Because....uh.....??

Anyone?

Lex Luthor's motivation in the film?  Why he wants to destroy the Earth? Anyone?
Well.  There it is.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8232 on: January 10, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »
Love Eisenberg, but hated his Lex Luthor character, it was like he was channeling Jim Carry as Ace Ventura or something.

I feel the exact same way. Love him as an actor, but can't stomach his trying to give Lex a "Joker" type personality.

I still haven't met anyone who can answer this question about the movie.  This question being one of the fundamental flaws of the film.....

Here we go:

Batman's motivations are crystal clear.  He says Superman must be stopped because he's a danger to every living thing on earth.  "If there's even a 1% chance, blah blah blah..."

Superman is a little more of an enigma, but this serves Batman's plot.  Ultimately we know, because of the other films and the cultural memory of the character that Superman is on the side of life and good....

Lex Luthor.  He wants to kill Batman and Superman and unleash a world destroying alien to finish the heroes and who's wrath I guess he assumes he'll survive because?  Because....uh.....??

Anyone?

Lex Luthor's motivation in the film?  Why he wants to destroy the Earth? Anyone?

What I am also interested in is how come Lex knows the identities of both Batman and Superman and does not use it? And if he doesn't know it, why was he so especially keen to see a junior journalist and a billionaire chatting at his party?

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #8233 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:37 AM »

Here we go:

Anyone?

I had the same question. Supervillains who want to take over the world I understand. Who wouldn't want to control the world? But supervillains who want to destroy the world make no sense, because destroying the world means destroying themselves with it. Unless they are space aliens who can transform the planet to their own uses, or they have a planet of their own to go back to.

I think your question has no answer, and that's one of the many reasons it's such a worthless film.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8234 on: January 10, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
Hmm...

I kind of thought that Lex Luthor's motivation was similar to batmans?  He was afraid of Superman?  Which is why he first tried to get Bats to kill supes but when that failed unleashed the kracken doomsday.

I also thought that Clark Kent was more than just a junior reporter, mostly because he was at the fancy party and because Lex knew who he was.  Or maybe Kent had written something about Bruce Wayne or Wayne enterprises?