Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 273291 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8235 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
That is pretty much my take. . . .Lex Luthor's motivation is hatred of Superman.
It would not be the first time people, even very intelligent people, will do crazy things in the name of hatred.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8236 on: January 10, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
Petty details but I thought the bullets that could be traced to Luthor were one of the stupidest bits in the film.  WTF, my super secret plan foiled by using supper specific bullets?  That and the fight between bats and supes could have easily been averted if they'd just talked to each other once.  Really felt like a ham-fisted way to engineer a fight between the two of them, a plot element straight from Threes Company. 

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8237 on: January 10, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
Luthor wants people to like him, so his MO is usually to mediate his plans through third parties so his reputation stays clean.  So not something like unleashing a super monster.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8238 on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »
Hidden Figures
8/10
So much to say about this one.
It follows the story of 3 real life African American women hired by NASA (then NACA) to help perform calculations for the pre computer age space program.
Very monitor spoilers...really it's a true story so I am not using a spoiler tag.

First, the performances are excellent, in particular Jonelle Monae, who is not even an actress.  She is a shoe in for the best support actress role nomination if not a win.  The other performances were also great, but not quite up to that level.
Second, based on what I have read on wikipedia, the movie sticks pretty closely to history, and changes that were made were mostly for economy of story telling and totally rational.   And this is great because the story is so important and really needed to be told.  The women can be proud of this movie that does justice to their story.
The movie did a great job of creating tension, which can be difficult in a period piece. I really liked how it juxtaposes the best and worst of America at the time.  I also liked the secondary tension revolving around the inevitable doom of the department as computers start to take over their jobs.
The main flaw was that the side characters, in particular Jim Parsons and Kevin Costner, were pretty flimsy and obviously existed only as a way to forward plot.  I would have also liked the movie to have started earlier in time.  I wanted to see the development of the computer department and how these women were picked.

But definitely recommend, especially if you are a fan of period movies about this era in American history or the history of the space program.

Yeah. Saw this today, and it was the best I've seen in a while. And, the only one I remember where most of the audience cheered at the end.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8239 on: January 11, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »
J. Edgar

7/10

Liked it better than I thought I would, based on the ratings it got. It told an interesting story.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #8240 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
That is pretty much my take. . . .Lex Luthor's motivation is hatred of Superman.
It would not be the first time people, even very intelligent people, will do crazy things in the name of hatred.

But WHY does he hate Superman?

Just 'cause?

I couldn't answer that question with the information given in the film.  Also, he hates Congress.
Well.  There it is.

Online Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8241 on: January 11, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »

Just 'cause?

I couldn't answer that question with the information given in the film.  Also, he hates Congress.
My take is his motives were the same as batman's, he fears superman and fear leads to the dark side? 

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8242 on: January 11, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »

Just 'cause?

My take is his motives were the same as batman's, he fears superman and fear leads to the dark side?

he apparently fears Superman less than he fears a giant crazed monster who can also destroy Earth.
Well.  There it is.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8243 on: January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
Sully  7 out 10

Pretty much what I expected from story and cast. Totally worth seeing but glad it was only an hour and half. Not all movies need to be 2+ hours.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8244 on: January 11, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
Sully  7 out 10

Pretty much what I expected from story and cast. Totally worth seeing but glad it was only an hour and half. Not all movies need to be 2+ hours.

I quite enjoyed Sully too.  I listened to a podcast (Adam Carolla I recall) in which the unfortunate artificial adversarial tone the NTSB investigators were given was discussed.  There was conflict inserted where there really wasn't much, but it's a dramatization, so it's understandable.   

As I understand it, the NTSB investigators and their "why don't our simulations match your story" lines of questioning were apparently much less adversarial in real life.  Less folks  trying to "catch" Capt Sullenberger in a mistake or a lie and more professional investigators asking

"So, our simulations don't match your descriptions. What are we doing wrong? Why don't they match?  Can you tell us?"

The ultimate conclusion of the discussion was that many people have no idea how meaningless the phrase "based on a true story" really is.  Most people think they are media savvy.  Most people are not media savvy.

Totally agree with your assessment on length.  Many many many movies today can benefit from 20-30 minutes being removed.
Well.  There it is.

Online drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #8245 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »

One last thing about BvS:DoJ....

(click to show/hide)
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8246 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
Is the extended edition worth watching if you already saw the BvsS movie in theater?

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8247 on: January 11, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »
Is the extended edition worth watching if you already saw the BvsS movie in theater?

I didn't think it was worth watching when I hadn't seen it in the theater...

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8248 on: January 11, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »

I didn't think it was worth watching when I hadn't seen it in the theater...

Rimshot!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8249 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
No