Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 296514 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8550 on: February 16, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »
I thought it was an OK action movie, but nothing particularly special tbh.
Mooohn!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8551 on: February 16, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
I did only see the first half, due to the defective disc. But I stand by my perception of that much of the movie.
Just like a good skeptic!  :D ;) :P

I get why you may not like it, but even I who watch terrible action movies as a stress release got really taken in by how well this film was executed. It's nice that they don't pretend that it's something it's not.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #8552 on: February 17, 2017, 08:39:36 AM »
Red 2. 6/10. Not as good as the first one. Enjoyable, but less imaginative.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8553 on: February 18, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »
Allied (2016): Decent WW2 drama. At times a bit melodramatic for my taste, but other than that it was quite good (though tbh I was really distracted by a frustrating task I had going on in the background). 8-/10

XX: Horror anthology directed exclusively by women (hence the title). I do tend to like anthologies, and the first story was interesting - though it lacked a proper ending, but the rest weren't great, and they all just seemed unfinished or simply didn't make sense at all. There was an interesting and slightly creepy stop-motion sequence that seems to be intended to tie the stories together, but I really didn't quite get what they were trying to convey with it. Probably skip unless you really want to see another horror anthology. Or maybe just watch the first story. 5.5/10
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:13:38 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8554 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:38 AM »
Steel 6.5/10
I guess it is technically not a very good movie but is entertaining to me and I do enjoy it. Had it on tape but hard to get a cheap used copy on DVD.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #8555 on: February 19, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
Batman v superman: DoJ
I need to watch this again/10

Just too much story. I found it hard to follow all the separate tangents.

Everything Must Go
4-10
The story was boring. There was no interesting factor.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #8556 on: February 19, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 reboot) - 6.5/10

what I liked:
doing something a little different while still being true to the character
a lot of Spidey's snarkier moments made it almost feel like a Deadpool movie
Denis Leary got to actually be in a Spider-Man movie after cracking jokes about people mistaking him for Willem Defoe
(click to show/hide)

what I didn't like:
the lead casting. I don't dislike Andrew Garfield or Emma Stone (tbh I'm mostly indifferent towards both), but I didn't find either of them were suited for their roles
the first-person perspective shots; it's not a terrible idea in general, but in this movie it just felt like a gimmick
coincidences;
(click to show/hide)

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to bother seeing the sequel, but I kinda feel like I want to, just for the sake of being a completist if nothing else, before Homecoming.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:03:26 PM by drproximo »

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8557 on: February 19, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
The Magnificent Seven (1960). 6/10. I give it one extra point for being a classic. For me it does not age well. Seems kind of cliche, but maybe that's just from the perspective of 57 years later.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8558 on: February 19, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 reboot) - 6.5/10

what I liked:
doing something a little different while still being true to the character
a lot of Spidey's snarkier moments made it almost feel like a Deadpool movie
Denis Leary got to actually be in a Spider-Man movie after cracking jokes about people mistaking him for Willem Defoe
(click to show/hide)

what I didn't like:
the lead casting. I don't dislike Andrew Garfield or Emma Stone (tbh I'm mostly indifferent towards both), but I didn't find either of them were suited for their roles
the first-person perspective shots; it's not a terrible idea in general, but in this movie it just felt like a gimmick
coincidences;
(click to show/hide)

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to bother seeing the sequel, but I kinda feel like I want to, just for the sake of being a completist if nothing else, before Homecoming.

I found Emma Stone too polished for her role actually and she does not look that polished in all of her roles.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8559 on: February 20, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
The Magnificent Seven (1960). 6/10. I give it one extra point for being a classic. For me it does not age well. Seems kind of cliche, but maybe that's just from the perspective of 57 years later.

I think it earns at least a 6 for the score alone.

East of Eden
7/10  Extremely well made, with fantastic performances.  But it's a 600 page book and the movie starts around page 500 so you lose a lot of important backstory.  In particular, the character of Cate.  You are told she is bad but...
(click to show/hide)

Justice League Dark
7/10 one of the better DC animated movies, it has some clever plotting and fun action sequences.  But its hardly a JL movie, the league is barely in it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:52:46 AM by superdave »

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8560 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »

I didn't care for that music when they recycled it for use on the TV show Bonanza, and I still don't care for it hearing it in its original use in the movie. In fact, I think the music was the main reason I never liked that TV show even at a time when I liked westerns.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8561 on: February 20, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »

I didn't care for that music when they recycled it for use on the TV show Bonanza, and I still don't care for it hearing it in its original use in the movie. In fact, I think the music was the main reason I never liked that TV show even at a time when I liked westerns.

What?

Magnificent Seven:

The Bonanza music was written for the show.

They even had lyrics.

You can hear M7 riffs in "The Big Valley" theme.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8562 on: February 20, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
The Magnificent Seven (1960) - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

Bonanza (TV Series 1959–1973) - IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052451/

Plus Bonanza was on the air before M7 was released.

M7 music was by Elmer Bernstein

Bonanza music was written by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans
"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8563 on: February 20, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »
13th
10/10 for content
7/10 as a film

First off most white people in the US need to get this information, everyone should watch it to get the data dump and perspective. Interestingly, Newt Gingrich doesn't come off as a shimmering pile of human garbage and sounds like he's coming down on the right side of history while Bill Clinton doesn't come off so well. Nor does Hillary. Grover Norquist of course looks like a pile of shit.

As a film it is only 90 minutes, but feels 120 by the 60 minute mark. The flow is great, but you never get to come up for air. The reason why I put it off for so long is because I knew it would be depressing as hell. None of the stories or facts are surprising if you've been paying attention, but Ava does a great job of cultivating the material and bringing it all into alignment. Putting in a little levity though may have helped the viewing experience. It's a bit like An Inconvenient Truth - not an amazing film, but so necessary, and hopefully like AIT 13th can bring some "wokeness" to America and start a change.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8564 on: February 20, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »
Assassin's Creed (2016): I'm about two thirds through this, but so far it's a mixed bag of mostly crap. For background, I've only played through about half of the second game in the series, so I don't have a lot invested in it. As far as video game inspired movies go, this is definitely one of the less terrible ones - but then, that's not saying much, especially since a lot of them were made by the notorious Uwe Boll. The fights and action scenes in this were pretty good and thankfully there's not a lot of shaky cam.

Still, it's not a great, or even a good movie by any stretch. I'm not sure why they thought every scene needed dust or mist to obscure our view. Maybe that's because the game uses this as a way to avoid having to render distant objects? And the editing is a bit choppy at times and some of the fight scenes are too zoomed in, so that you still don't have the best view of what's going on.

The "science" is obviously complete gobbledygook. It made me want to cry a little at times. That wouldn't be so terrible for a dumb action movie, except the whole plot revolves around it. Watching it as "magic" helps, but they insist on using stupid terms like "genetic memory" and they keep talking about an apple which controls "the genetic code for free will" which can be used to "control freedom of thought", which sounds like a catch phrase made up by someone who knows nothing about any of these topics. Also, having recently read a chapter on the historic Assassins cult in a book on the history of terrorism, nothing that was said on that subject in this movie sounded remotely true to life.

The main character is an idiot (what else is new) who
(click to show/hide)
To be fair, he is not helped by any of the other "good" characters (who do a bit of murdering for a living) who can't seem to speak two words without descending into unnecessarily vague, nebulous deepities, and who seem to insist on not telling him straight up what's going on even when it would help them. The fate of the world is in his hands, assholes... Maybe you should actually tell the guy what's going on in clear terms?

Similarly, the "bad" guys (who want to get rid of violence by murdering a lot of people and taking away everyone's free will) are also idiots, who
(click to show/hide)
In other words, the writing sucks. With all these things taken together, the story didn't really captivate me very much (though to be fair I'm a bit distracted by my tensorflow experiments atm). 5-/10.

EDIT: Getting stupider by the minute, but the fights are still entertaining.

EDIT 2: Well, I saw the whole thing. If you're going to watch this, make sure to turn off your brain or be very, very drunk so that you don't notice the idiotic writing, and it might entertain you. I was not drunk.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:39:26 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

personate-rain