Author Topic: Racism on the forums  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Racism on the forums
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
Beleth: does this mean that people are free to use racial epithets, slurs, and code-words when not directed at another forum member?

If you're not sure, don't do it.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline The Latinist

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:36 PM »
Beleth: does this mean that people are free to use racial epithets, slurs, and code-words when not directed at another forum member?

If you're not sure, don't do it.

That is not an answer to my question.
I wish to propose…a doctrine…that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true.
– Bertrand Russell

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:21 PM »
It is the answer I always give to rules-lawyer questions like that.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
I stand by my opinions, but behind the mods' and panel's decision.

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
Honestly, it really is basically an impossible question to answer.  There are what? 200 regular posters here?  I bet there would be 200 or more different answers as to what constituted some of those things..
'To expect sense from two mentalities with such extreme view points is not logical' - Spock from 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield'

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
Im disappointed about what isnt mentioned.

I cant help but read this as essentially saying that off-topic spam is an approved activity.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline The Latinist

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
This is incredibly frustrating.  I am not trying to play a game of "gotcha."  I just want to know how the moderators of this forum are going to deal with people calling people of other races and ethnicities "chimps" or "animals" or "culturally inferior" or "savages," things they would not be allowed to call me or any other poster.  I don't think that's an unreasonable question, and I think I deserve more than a glib one-sentence dismissal.
I wish to propose…a doctrine…that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true.
– Bertrand Russell

Offline Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
Not really, no, you don't. No offense, but "we'll take it as it comes" and "if you have to ask, you've probably gone too far" are perfectly reasonable lines in the sand for determining who is an unrepentant troll and who isn't.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
I'm glad the mods give leeway like that. Judging each post in context is more important than laying out strict rules for people to throw at each other.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
This is incredibly frustrating.  I am not trying to play a game of "gotcha."  I just want to know how the moderators of this forum are going to deal with people calling people of other races and ethnicities "chimps" or "animals" or "culturally inferior" or "savages," things they would not be allowed to call me or any other poster.  I don't think that's an unreasonable question, and I think I deserve more than a glib one-sentence dismissal.

I realize that it sounds like a glib dismissal, and I apologize for the layer of bad will that covered it.  But it really is what I mean.

If you wouldn't say it to your mom, or to your kindergarten teacher, or to Dr. Novella, or to a reporter from a well-respected media outlet, don't say it here.  Where you draw that line is up to you.  Where other people draw that line is up to them.

Where I draw that line on the forum for potential sanctioning is best summed up by the old adage "never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity."  Stupidity has to be allowed; otherwise, there'd be no opportunity for educational growth.  When I think someone's crossed the line from stupidity into malice, like Straws Pulled At Random did, then they get sanctioned.  I don't think I can make it less subjective than that, but I hope that it at least doesn't sound glib any more.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Paddyjack

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »

Where I draw that line on the forum for potential sanctioning is best summed up by the old adage "never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity."

I always liked this quote. I know an author who signs all his emails on a fan mailing list with it, a reminder that some emails are just stupids.

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
Hanlon's Razor they call it.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »

I am officially renaming it Beleth's Blunderbuss

'To expect sense from two mentalities with such extreme view points is not logical' - Spock from 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield'

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:23 AM »

I am officially renaming it Beleth's Blunderbuss

I'll alert the media.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain