Poll

Do you think that a Libertarianism ghetto (a la AGW) would clean up the politics section?

Yes, please.
Yes, but unneccessary.
No, never.
No, not yet.
Other: please explain

Author Topic: Is it maybe time to make a Libertarianism ghetto?  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
Re: Is it maybe time to make a Libertarianism ghetto?
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
I see.

It won't stop people from trying to flame libertarians or libertarianism though. All that will happen is that a bunch of threads will get split or moved.

I don't mind libertarianism being flamed.  I'm bothered when unrelated threads with good discussions are spoiled because of it.
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
The solution to derailing isn't going to be found in creating a new subforum and having the mods go and split every derailed thread.  That's simply too much work for mods.  I'm not in a position to do it, and I'm sure none of the other mods are either.

The solution to derailing is re-railing.  If a thread gets off topic, ignore the off-topic stuff and make a reply that gets it back on topic.

Also, somethingsomething market forces somethingsomething Hayek something RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »
The solution to derailing isn't going to be found in creating a new subforum and having the mods go and split every derailed thread.  That's simply too much work for mods.  I'm not in a position to do it, and I'm sure none of the other mods are either.

The solution to derailing is re-railing.  If a thread gets off topic, ignore the off-topic stuff and make a reply that gets it back on topic.

It is impossible to ignore when the majority of the posts are about being off topic because of the number of posters who are involved.  Take for example the "Is there a Republican you WOULD vote for?" thread.  half of the posts being made in that thread are by the same people talking about and reposting the same video over and over, even though that video had an active discussion in another thread more aptly named and themed for it (and the thread was pointed out).  This is intentional derailment with the express purpose of trying to bug me personally.  And if it weren't for the fact that it's all but killed what was otherwise an decent thread, it wouldn't bother me.  But what does one do when it is not a single poster or post, but a group of collective ass hats intentionally being douche bags?  It's just par for the course to be honest, and I'm getting sick of it.
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
Also, thread drift. It happens. Welcome to the internet.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »

It is impossible to ignore when the majority of the posts are about being off topic because of the number of posters who are involved.  Take for example the "Is there a Republican you WOULD vote for?" thread.  half of the posts being made in that thread are by the same people talking about and reposting the same video over and over, even though that video had an active discussion in another thread more aptly named and themed for it (and the thread was pointed out).  This is intentional derailment with the express purpose of trying to bug me personally.  And if it weren't for the fact that it's all but killed what was otherwise an decent thread, it wouldn't bother me.  But what does one do when it is not a single poster or post, but a group of collective ass hats intentionally being douche bags?  It's just par for the course to be honest, and I'm getting sick of it.

Oh man.. come on. At least about the video thing we were just messing with you. If I had thought you didn't find it funny I wouldn't have participated. Sorry if that annoyed you.

That being said, Ron Paul's position on evolution is relevant to that thread.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 12:03:16 PM »

Oh man.. come on. At least about the video thing we were just messing with you. If I had thought you didn't find it funny I wouldn't have participated. Sorry if that annoyed you.

That being said, Ron Paul's position on evolution is relevant to that thread.

Except that it had already been covered IN THAT EXACT THREAD on page 3 when funda brought it up:

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,37477.msg9044357.html#msg9044357

and I addressed it right afterwards:

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,37477.msg9044385.html#msg9044385

Save the, "I was just joking," BS.  Nobody believes you.  If it was just a joke it would have ended after the three pages of constantly derailing the thread.  You guys know who you are, and you're trolling ass  hats.  People are smart enough to ignore you all individually in threads regarding anything about Republicans or right wing politics, but you've now managed to form a spam club where you just use a mass of posts to ruin any thread where people present political views you don't like.  Go fuck yourselves.
WATCH OUT!

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
Duly noted.

*writes that down*

Offline Johnny Slick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
Okay, in fairness my perpetuation of the Ron Paul thing was a little bit for the lulz. Guys give other guys a hard time about inconsequential things which bug them. That's the way things are done. And really, the Ron Paul thing at least to me was more about people who hadn't quite read through the thread and who wanted to cite something that, well, everybody already knew about. It turned into a bit of a meme about itself. There wasn't even an *intent* to beat up on libertarians, I don't think, at least not from me (my libertarian-bashing comes elsewhere in the thread) (by which I mean all over it) ( >:D).

Paul's take on evolution is, I agree, relevant to a thread which is about which Republicans you could vote for. Personally, I'm not a big fan of litmus tests, but if someone is so far over to the religious side that they think that Adam and Eve's grandchildren founded the Egyptian empire, then yeah, that's a bit of a litmus test for me, I have to say. Otherwise, if you want to talk about other candidates, by all means talk about other candidates. Jeezola. Nobody's stopping you.

To the larger point, I don't see any reason to further ghetto-ize what is already a bit of a ghetto. You can't even look at Politics unless you're a registered member and, as has been noted in here, the mods pay probably even less attention to it than they do to Explicit (in that they post to the latter from time to time).
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Johnny Slick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
Save the, "I was just joking," BS.  Nobody believes you.  If it was just a joke it would have ended after the three pages of constantly derailing the thread.  You guys know who you are, and you're trolling ass  hats.  People are smart enough to ignore you all individually in threads regarding anything about Republicans or right wing politics, but you've now managed to form a spam club where you just use a mass of posts to ruin any thread where people present political views you don't like.  Go fuck yourselves.
No offense, but your persecution complex is about 80 times more annoying than any political views you hold. This post was a prime example.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »
Looks like this thread is slowly but surely drifting off-topic.

[...]  Go fuck yourselves.

Moderator Comment No, no, no, andrewclunn. *sighs* This also goes for Johnny Slick and jaypee: I think we've established that the three of you don't get along. Let's bring it back down, guys, please.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:35:47 PM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
I like andrew just fine.

Offline Johnny Slick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
I think Andrew is fine in the non political threads and is okay in the political ones most of the time as well. I'm not directly attempting to insult him, but I feel like there is an 800 pound gorilla sitting on top of this thread which needed to be named. If other libertarians think there ought to be a ghetto created for them then I guess it should be considered but imo this is about the posting habits of one person, not a group. I'm trying to keep this as non personal as possible but, well, I don't think that *is* inherently available as an option here, sorry.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Well Established
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • bLog for a righter/musican
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
Sooooo, Hitler liked ghettos...  :-X

I'm not a fan of libertarianism or any other economic ideology not grounded in reality (oh snap!), but I don't think a ghetto is going to accomplish anything (I agree with them half the time anyway). Libertarianism rose in this country in response to a specific set of conditions and it will be on decline soon enough, this problem will self correct, here and abroad.
This is another case where ignoring the problem of trolling on both sides will make it go away. Anyway, I voted "No, not yet." Gotta hedge my bets.
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Local Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mainah's
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
I thought it was clear that the repeated reposting of the Ron Paul video was a bit of a joke on the person who reposted it without knowing it was already up (I forget who did what). I wouldn't say Andrew has a persecution complex, I think he is the only one on his side in many issues, and perhaps what seems "funny" to the people in the more popular camp is not so funny when you're the only one the joke is on.

In other words, the more I think about it, the more I think jaypee and JS's jokes can be perceived as bullying on the other side, even if I do laugh (because libs are funny).
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Johnny Slick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
Okay, but honestly he's not the only person espousing that viewpoint, which is my point here. B Side, Emergent Systems, uolj, and even Citizen Skeptic to a lesser degree walk the libertarian line from time to time. There is a strong undercurrent of libertarianism in skepticism, which admittedly I don't quite get, but it's there, and it's not like it's just the one guy espousing things here. If you're looking for people who could possibly be beat up on, it's probably more guys like Christian conservatives such as shibboleth (who is probably more of a Christian moderate, but in this community that's practically like being a conservative).

And hey, it's possible that andrew is the only one of them willing to speak out about this, which is why I'm willing to hear out the other libertarians on the board. That being said, I don't think that ideas can be bullied, and I also don't think that flawed ones should be treated with respect. If that leads others to start in with the name calling, well, hate to be a jerk (OR A ARGUMENT LIBERTARIAN GET IT LOLOLOL) but it's not exactly my problem.

(I also enjoy repeating memes. Sometimes something is funny just because it's being repeated at inopportune moments. That doesn't mean someone is necessarily being made fun of. In the case of the RP video, yeah, what meg said... there was someone being made fun of but it wasn't the libertarians. Actually it was the *multiple* people who posted the video thinking that it would undo the Berts on the board. Did andrew even try to defend Paul's lack of evolutionitis? I could have sworn that was all B SIDE and uolj).

personate-rain
personate-rain