Author Topic: SGU 24  (Read 44272 times)

Offline filip

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: SGU 24
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »
How about a segment where they open letters from the fans.
Who knows what amazing crap they might find in there.  :D

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »
I think people are mostly joking, but I've watched live RPGing before and when you're not participating it is DULL.
Dull....ly awesome!!!
If we don't discover the mistakes of the future we are doomed to repeat them for the first time. - Ken M

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »
Some suggestions:

- I have tried XSplit and it's a nice and somewhat easy software for streaming. You can use it to stream to all popular stream providers. As for the stream providers, one of my favorites is Justin.tv since it allows viewers to choose the quality of the stream.

- If someone installs Minecraft on the streaming computer then perhaps the Rogues could stream a tour of the SGU server.

- Skype is probably the easiest way to handle interviews. Perhaps you could get some celebrity skeptics to join Skype briefly.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
Firstly, I think all of the rouges should take a hefty dose of homeopathic sleeping pills on a regular basis, ya know, to keep them awake

second, A round of scientific trivia at the top of every hour, with the loser of these rounds being humiliated in some fashion at the end of the 24

third, A seance should be held, invite a true believer to conduct it, along with astrological readings, fung shue experts etc, and debate them about the legitimacy of their practice

Offline Stovetop32

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
second, A round of scientific trivia at the top of every hour, with the loser of these rounds being humiliated in some fashion at the end of the 24

I was thinking something along these lines.  There should be some sort of repeated test (sequential memory game or the like) to monitor the panel members' alertness.  Could be funny to see things slide.

How about a test/comparison of popular stimulants or wives-tale methods for staying awake?  Each panelist could try a different method, and one could serve as a control.  (Not really scientific, but it could be fun.)  Maybe this could just be a topic for discussion if the whole guinea pig angle doesn't pan out  ;)

Offline filip

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
I think brownies need to be involved.  :P

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
I suggest locking one Rogue in a small room after administering mescaline, and check-in on him/her every 2 hours.
evolve.

"Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid." --Johnny Slick

Offline Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
Cliche! But you could read some interesting (ie hilarious) blogs and tweets by some not so skeptical people. I'm sure there are plenty of celebs gawking at the gills to find a few funny things.
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Read any post on age of autism outloud and see who can go the longest before uttering an expletive.

Offline Straws Pulled At Random

• Banned
  • I said, Put. The. Bunny. Back. In. The. Box!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »
A less serious but potentially hilarious activity would be to prank call various pseudoscience and woo organizations.

Yes! They can use my Richard Dawkins soundboard and prank various religious institutions.

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,35919.0.html

Also, I think there should be a rule that Jay has to lick Steven's face every time Steven says the word "absolutely".
"Maybe it's about time I expanded the realm of possibilities around here." - MacGyver

I love Caffiene. If you lick him he taste like COUS COUS.

http://putbunny.ytmnd.com/

Offline marcparis

• Easily peeved.
Name of SGU 24
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
My suggestion for name:
"The Skeptics' Guide to Steve's Rumpus Room"

Offline RKN

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
Your 24 hours of live streaming sounds awesome, still you can't beat Norwegian televisions 134 hours live broadcast from the Hurtigruten boat (ongoing now!):

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/External-content/Hurtigruten-minute-by-minute/

Nice and relaxing, and kind of addictive (even if it is rather boring).

Offline uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
If you do science or fiction in the early part of the show you should do it again 20 hours later with the same three or four topics and tiny changes made to each (or no changes depending on how tired everybody is).

Then again, it would work better if only Steve was aware that it was going to happen that way, so I might have just ruined it by tipping off Jay and any other rogue reading this. Doh!

Offline filip

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
How about a skeptical sound or quote every time the hand strikes 12.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
If you do science or fiction in the early part of the show you should do it again 20 hours later with the same three or four topics and tiny changes made to each (or no changes depending on how tired everybody is).

Then again, it would work better if only Steve was aware that it was going to happen that way, so I might have just ruined it by tipping off Jay and any other rogue reading this. Doh!

More generally, some kind of task to demonstrate the effects of tiredness on mental ability would definitely be interesting.

personate-rain