Author Topic: SGU 24  (Read 51177 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: SGU 24
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
If you do science or fiction in the early part of the show you should do it again 20 hours later with the same three or four topics and tiny changes made to each (or no changes depending on how tired everybody is).

Then again, it would work better if only Steve was aware that it was going to happen that way, so I might have just ruined it by tipping off Jay and any other rogue reading this. Doh!

I suppose, if it was possible, it would be nice to have all of the regular segments (WTN, SoF, etc.) recurring at semi-regular intervals.

Real-time WTN guessing could be interesting for instance.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
Bringing back some old segments like the Skeptical Puzzle would be good, with some real time guessing from the panellists and/or the viewing audience.

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Somehow they let me have a child... and keep her
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
I think a short greeting or interview with a listener from each time zone could be fun. Or also, have listeners record short clips to be played at the top of every hour.
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
I think reading and answering listener emails as they come in would be neat and potentially funny.  Just keep it anonymous to be safe.  I also like Meg's idea about listener sound-bites.  Perhaps set up and announce a Google Voice number that people can call into and leave voicemails on.  That way you'd get transcripts and could screen easily for troublemakers.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 11:16:34 AM »
I'll add some more thoughts I had:

How about a skeptic chat roulette where fans of the show could log on and you would randomly select someone to introduce themselves?

I think a live on-the-fly version of Science or Fiction would be interesting.  Not sure of the setup there and how easy it would be to sequester Steve from the others, but I’m sure there’s a creative way to make it work.

There, without a doubt, needs to be some kind of skeptical drinking game between two or more of you.  Everyone has to do a shot anytime Bob says “Nano” etc. (on second thought, scrap that specific example.  Alcohol poisoning is not fun).

Offline Scybert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
How is this being funded?  Is it a fund-raiser itself?  I'm guessing the panel is volunteering, but there are travel and bandwidth expenses.

Offline Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • skype bumchuzzler
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »
I'll add some more thoughts I had:

How about a skeptic chat roulette where fans of the show could log on and you would randomly select someone to introduce themselves?

Yeah I think this would be a good way to have chats with the fans.  If we can somehow show that we are forum members by  providing our voice chat details you can see who it is and determine if we are reliable.  It's likely the forum users will be reasonable.  We enter the voice chat room and you choose to speak to us or not.

Offline Mozart321

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
I think it would be good to get every member of the team to come up with a Science or Fiction.  It would be interesting to hear Steve answering.  It doesn't happen often enough.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
I think it would be good to get every member of the team to come up with a Science or Fiction.  It would be interesting to hear Steve answering.  It doesn't happen often enough.

+1, with the last round having the theme of sleep deprivation.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Secret words!
Each rogue keeps a list of three, springs the word on the rest of the group when the first person says it, a shot of whiskey is administered... by the end of the show, potentially 15 forbidden words the skeptics must remember not to say.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
Try to get everybody listening to donate $24.  ;)

Also, are times already set? As of right now, I'm considering trying to listen to the whole thing live, though I'm not too confident about my ability to ward off sleep.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
Do a seance at midnight, the so-called "dead-time"

Watch in amazement as nothing happens.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline filip

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
How about at any time during the 24 hours they bust out a secret hand shake. O

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
I think it'd be interesting to be scouring the news while taping, find a science story, and take us through the process of how it gets from there to a segment on the show.  It could literally include you guys discussing it at the end as if it were a regular episode.  In the same vein as that, I think any other behind-the-scenes  glimpses we got would be welcome too.

Offline filip

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I want a fight to the death between Jay and Bob.