Author Topic: Suspending Straws  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
Suspending Straws
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
Was that really necessary? I remember when some dude named hairyballs was trolling this place. He was a lot worse. The fact that Straws limited his trolling to Explicit put him a cut above most of the other jokers on this forum, myself included.
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
Re: Suspending Straws
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
If he actually did what he said he was going to do in a particular thread, then I'm surprised that he didn't get banned for sexual harassment right then.  Based purely on what I've read of his I don't think he needed to be suspended, but I'm assuming there was plenty I didn't see that the mods did (in other threads or in PMs), and considering how lenient they have been with others, I trust their judgement here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:00:32 PM by andrewclunn »
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:14:19 PM »
The cool thing about the SMF warning system is that it automatically escalates the punishment as more warnings are given.  Straws got enough warnings for the system to kick him into Muted (suspended) status.  The warning level "evaporates" over time, so that a person who got two warnings a year ago won't automatically get muted if the gets a third one today.

My post in Public Announcements was an FYI, so that people don't say "Hey how come Straws hasn't posted today? Is he all right?"

Eventually Straws' warning level will evaporate down to where he can post again.  I think it'll be about six days.  I say "I think" because a warning level as high as he earned has happened so rarely before.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I see. That makes more sense. I guess I'm just a sucker for irreverent and offending behavior. :)
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Online wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
Also, Harry Balls was banned.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »

So you're saying I should shave quick?  :rimshot:

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »

Not too quick or you'll cut yourself!
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Yeah, but that was long after he was restricted to Explicit and would pop in occasionally to troll. I just used him as an example of a much more horrible version of Straws. :P

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »

Not too quick or you'll cut yourself!

Double wordplay!  All the way!  What does it mean?!  Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Local Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mainah's
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
Too bad, I got the impression that he was doing better lately. Except for baiting Bunsen, that is.
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Online Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived the Forum crash of '14 !
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
Too bad, I got the impression that he was doing better lately. Except for baiting Bunsen, that is.
Meh, it's only temporary. Maybe it will help him calm down a bit.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
I thought he was awesome.
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
I thought he was awesome.

Was?  He's coming back you know.  Well, I assume he is at any rate.

Offline Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
And Hitler was a pretty nice guy too once you get past the whole Holocaust thing.

Okay, but seriously, I hope that he is able to reel it in a bit. I've got to be honest that I thought that panda and Karyn showed tremendous restraint in not banning him outright over the first couple of days. I hope that he's apologized to the two of you. It's not really my business, but still. Otherwise, I agree with peeps who thought he's less "outright troll" and more "kid who is trying a bit too hard to be accepted".
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
meh, I haven't really been fallowing his exploit's but did not get his humor and was rather annoyed by his word play. I don't like people who make nick names for people they don't know. He may be just trying to hard, but that is also a trait I don't like.  Where this my high school I would have called him a poser and or a spaz and went on about my day, but it's not so I've bitten my tongue till now. Also, and sorry to totally pile on but I really hate his avatar pic. I know he's trying to be silly and normally I applaud that, but for some reason the pic just makes me mad. 
sig needed.

personate-rain