Author Topic: Exposing PseudoAstronomy Podcast 159: What's a Planet?  (Read 48355 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
What would parallax have to do with the view?

One would be able to see the sides, and not just the face facing the Earth, when the cube moon is on the horizon. Also we need to neglect the Libration cycle.

Get libration, still ignorant on parallax. ohhh, nevermind. You are too smart to play.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
If you also neglect Earthshine and starshine and the diameter of the Sun, the face facing us would be completely black for half the month, light up instantly at quadrature, and remain illuminated for the remaining half of the month, then instantly go dark at the other quadrature.

ETA: Not exactly at quadrature but close.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:56:24 PM by Chew »
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Get libration, still ignorant on parallax.

The Moon's diameter (or length across the face for a cube moon) is 2000 miles. The Earth's radius is 4000 miles. Folks viewing the Moon when it's on the horizon would be able to see the sides of a cube moon.

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
Thanks for the feedback, especially from Caffiene. On the "mouth noise," I agree, I actually tried to move the mic a little farther away and started putting my hand up between my mouth and it when I was breathing in.  I think practice is needed to minimize that and perhaps some sort of post-production filter could help, as well.

Regarding the puzzler ... I guess it's the teacher in me and the "NO TALKING TO YOUR NEIGHBOR!!" that made me think people wouldn't discuss it on here, but I'm actually quite surprised how some of you have taken such an interest in solving it.  I'm not going to go over the solution on here nor tell you who is correct (if anyone) until I discuss it on the show, though based on the feedback, I'll probably do that on the next episode instead of waiting until September.

The discussion has also reminded me I need to remember to state things that are "obvious" to astronomers but not so much to everyone else:  In problems like these, you should assume ideal conditions unless otherwise stated, and you can ignore minute effects.  So like, no, there are no craters.  The moon has zero ellipticity, zero inclination, zero obliquity.  That kind of thing.  If you don't ignore it, as some of you aren't, then the answers get a bit more complicated, as you're discussing.  If any of my students had gone there when I asked this question, they'd get extra credit ;).

The next two episodes - and most episodes - will be about more of the conspiracy/creationism/hoax material.  I just thought I'd start with something fairly innocuous.

Regarding the music, it took me FOREVER to decide on something that wasn't absolutely horrible nor obviously recognizable and still in copyright.  Glad people think it's okay, though I agree the intro could be cut down a bit ... only problem is I think that what should be cut are a few bars in the intermediate, not from the end nor beginning.  I'll work on that for the next episode.

Regarding the level of the material, I swore I would never forget what the "average" person knows and assume they know more or less, but it's happened.  10 years of post-high school work on this stuff and ... yeah.  I'll try to work on that more in the future.

On adding to this post with new episodes - I've seen two approaches on here with that.  Karl (Conspiracy Skeptic) just adds to his original thread started aeons ago.  Parrot (Dumbass) creates new ones for every episode.  Is there a preferred approach?  I can see pros and cons to both.

Oh, and can anyone recommend a better microphone/headset that doesn't run in the $hundreds?  I've been using a Logitech I got a few years ago to use with Skype, but I think it sounds like I'm talking into a tin can.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
Way to go Chew! Blowing the curve for everyone! Dork!
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
I like a legacy thread. You can change the name of thread for new episodes like Carl does sometimes.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Way to go Chew! Blowing the curve for everyone! Dork!

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
The next two episodes - and most episodes - will be about more of the conspiracy/creationism/hoax material.

The JREF Stundie Finals threads are a gold mine of just plain wrong.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
face facing us would be completely black for half the month, light up instantly at quadrature, and remain illuminated for the remaining half of the month, then instantly go dark at the other quadrature.

That was my thinking too. Only other thing is there would be changes in brightness during the illuminated phase due to the angle of the sun on the plane.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Parrot

• Well Established
    • The Dumbasses Guide To Knowledge
Thanks for the feedback, especially from Caffiene. On the "mouth noise," I agree, I actually tried to move the mic a little farther away and started putting my hand up between my mouth and it when I was breathing in.  I think practice is needed to minimize that and perhaps some sort of post-production filter could help, as well.

Oh, and can anyone recommend a better microphone/headset that doesn't run in the $hundreds?  I've been using a Logitech I got a few years ago to use with Skype, but I think it sounds like I'm talking into a tin can.

I only just recently got myself a full head set.  Previously I was using one of those mics that you hold in your palm to speak into.  I was holding it so that it was actually facing away from my mouth so that it wouldn't pick up the sound of me breathing for the podcast.  Then I amplified the results.

My current headset seems to work pretty well, it has foam around the mic so I think that helps to muffle stray noises.  Just a standard headset that I picked up at Staples on sale.  I think it was Staples brand.

So if you think my latest podcast has decent sound quality, that's what I'm using.  I wouldn't really know though - I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing  ;)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
I think it sounds like I'm talking into a tin can.

I thought it sounded fine, personally, apart from the very minor mouth noises. But I dont know what you sound like when youre not on a podcast, so I dont know if its accurate or not.

Im not an expert on mics, but the "word on the street" that I hear is Zahlman mics are highly recommended for low cost/consumer use.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Parrot

• Well Established
    • The Dumbasses Guide To Knowledge
Here's my fiddling around with the puzzler.  I'm not sure exactly about the angle, perhaps it would be a more reasonable facsimile of the lighting conditions to have the moon at center with the light source for the quarter moon, in which case I think the surface would be mostly dark.

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
After a day, 26 people have downloaded it!  I'm almost 0.05% of the way towards the listenership of AstronomyCast! :D

Offline craig

• Frequent Poster
I really liked the podcast.  It will definately be one that I subscribe to.

My only complaint is the sibilance, but it sounds like you are already looking at new microphones so I expect that that will help.

Keep up the good work.
"Why ya gotta act like you know when you don't know....It's okay if you don't know everything." --- Ben Folds

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
I really liked the podcast.  It will definately be one that I subscribe to.

My only complaint is the sibilance, but it sounds like you are already looking at new microphones so I expect that that will help.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you.  That annoyed me to no end when listening to it, too.  I don't suppose you know of an audio filter (post-recording) that would help minimize that in the meantime?  I was thinking maybe a low-bandpass?  Oh, and you introduced me to my new word of the day. :)