Author Topic: Dr. Who - where do I start?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Vincegamer

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Dr. Who - where do I start?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
Two missing Doctor Who eps found!!!
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/12/missing-doctor-who-episodes-fo.html
OMG! when will they be online?  I have listened to the audio tapes (for most of the lost episodes the audio track remains, just the video is lost) and I'm guessing "airlock" from the Galaxy 4 series marks the very first death of a companion.
“If you took the kind of working practices of herbal remedies and scaled them up and used them on a whole population you’d have a hell of a lot more giant cock-ups.”
- Ben Goldacre

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
I know, right? I was on pins and needles, but I haven't heard anything since the boingboing thing. If anyone knows anything, do tell.

Tatyana mentioning that she's starting with 9th doctor and going through again reminded me that I need to go back and go from the 4th doctor, where I last left off. The Robot story was unwatchable... And I think I left off there because of school or work getting busy, I can't remember now. Doctor Who is like prozac, and I'm super depressed these days. Time to pick up where I left off.

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »
I have seen all of them so far, the only difference is that I often missed the first minute or two on the beeb, which often gives a lot of interesting info about the episode.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
I've probably seen most of the 4th Doctor now, just all out of order and bungled in my memory from 3AM PBS broadcasts in my childhood. What I have a total blank on is the 80's, and I can tell you I'm not looking forward to the 6th or 7th Doctors. Someone give me something to look forward to in this area.

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
I've probably seen most of the 4th Doctor now, just all out of order and bungled in my memory from 3AM PBS broadcasts in my childhood. What I have a total blank on is the 80's, and I can tell you I'm not looking forward to the 6th or 7th Doctors. Someone give me something to look forward to in this area.

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy!

Offline Vincegamer

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
If you happen to be a teenage boy: Perpigillium Brown.
(you could have fun with a drinking game - take a drink every time there's an obvious cleavage shot.)

I didn't like Colin Baker's Doctor, but then I read later he was intentionally playing him as a prick. A bold move but I don't think it paid off.
McCoy was good though - added a sinister element while still being the fun, likable guy.
“If you took the kind of working practices of herbal remedies and scaled them up and used them on a whole population you’d have a hell of a lot more giant cock-ups.”
- Ben Goldacre

Offline wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »
The Nerdist blog usually has pretty cool Whovian stuff.

Here's an ongoing series describing the Companions, sort of a primer for the classic series:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three

More recent Doctor Who stuff on the blog:
First Series 7 Trailer
Report from the Doctor Who Convention

personate-rain