Author Topic: Getting started with Guitar  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Rocket Man

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Light is my paint
Getting started with Guitar
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
So I'm seriously considering trying to learn how to play guitar and I thought I'd mention it here if anybody has any input. I'll probably spend a couple weeks doing research before I even lay my hand on the instrament. Where should I start? What should I start with and where to get it? Also just any genreal tips are appreciated.
Hey looks, I took a picture...
http://500px.com/RocketMan36

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Getting started with Guitar
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
Guitars is pretty easy to pickup.
Getting good enough to jam basic rock tunes confidently takes about 6 months of half an hour a day.
With the same amount of practice over a year and you should be good enough to join a band.

Get a Cheap nylon string, chord book and a little black book of rock.

Start with "wild thing" in open chords.

Chords G, C, and D.
They go together really well are easy to manage and change between.

Then learn A minor, A major, E minor, E major This will give you a lot to work with, so that you can experiment with finger shapes and changing chords.

Concentrate on your timing (The most important thing).

Stick with it even when you feel like you're not getting anywhere.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »
If youre going to get lessons, hopefully they will have a tuner, and tuning once a week at lessons should be enough to start with. If you arent going to get lessons, though, get a tuner. Theres nothing more discouraging when learning than trying to get the right sound with the wrong tuning.

I agree with MB about a cheap nylon string acoustic. You cant do bends and some other fancier techniques with as much success (at least as a beginner), but they are easier on the fingers and you can play them anywhere, anytime and generally without the neighbours calling the cops. Build up calluses and technique before you try steel/electric.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »
My number one reason for a cheap guitar is it's a minimal investment and sounds ok, not matter what brand you get.
String breakage is minimal and the do get your calluses going.

I recommend learning how to tune by ear, it's very important for development.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »

I agree. But you need to be in tune while youre still developing your ear, too. And you can only get so close by ear - eventually you need something to compare to, when every string ends up being out, whether its a tone or a tuner.

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33:31 AM »

I agree. But you need to be in tune while youre still developing your ear, too. And you can only get so close by ear - eventually you need something to compare to, when every string ends up being out, whether its a tone or a tuner.

You're out of tune!

Kidding.
I just find that there are so many kids that can't tell when they're out of tune, even when they have been playing for more than a decade.

Offline Paddyjack

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
One thing I recommend also is to go on Youtube for tricks. Type something like "<name of the song> how to" and then you get plenty of helpful guys that will help you learn how to play the basic chords for a specific song.

Also, to get chords for almost any songs, here is a great website:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
You're out of tune!

The whole freaking system is out of tune!

I wish I couldnt tell when I was out of tune :( Every 6 months or so I get the urge to pick up my guitar, every string is out of tune and I give up because its too much effort to find a reference point to tune it back up, and it goes back in the corner for another 6 months.

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »
You're out of tune!

I wish I couldnt tell when I was out of tune :( Every 6 months or so I get the urge to pick up my guitar, every string is out of tune and I give up because its too much effort to find a reference point to tune it back up, and it goes back in the corner for another 6 months.

Can't you just load up an a440.wav and tune to that?
One thing I recommend also is to go on Youtube for tricks. Type something like "<name of the song> how to" and then you get plenty of helpful guys that will help you learn how to play the basic chords for a specific song.

That's jumping too far ahead. That's a 3 month down the road thing (unless the kid turns out to be a wiz).

Offline Rocket Man

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Light is my paint
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
You're out of tune!

Can't you just load up an a440.wav and tune to that?

That's jumping too far ahead. That's a 3 month down the road thing (unless the kid turns out to be a wiz).

I am a wiz at nothing, but If I can find a way to motivate myself I will probably have about 1-2 hours available for practice every other day. Thanks everybody for your help. I'll post an update when I get somewhere.  :)

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
I have a different opinion about the guitar.  I would get en electric and spend as much money as you can afford.  In my experience, a cheap electric sounds/plays better than a cheap acoustic.  The better you sound, the more likely you will be to stick it out.   Or check out ebay/craigslist.

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. "  -Lex Luthor

Offline Paddyjack

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »

Not if he's playing just chords. When I started playing guitar, I learned the basic chords (G,E,C,D,A,F,Em,Am and a few others I forget), and my fun was to play along songs I liked just by striking chords at the right time. It,s a great way to learn quick and to be motivated actually.

Offline Rocket Man

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Light is my paint
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »
Okay, so I know own a classic acoustic guitar, tuner, etc.

So, I know you've probably already told me. But now whats do I do besides learn some simple chords and get used to it?

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

So, I know you've probably already told me. But now whats do I do besides learn some simple chords and get used to it?

What are you favorite songs, or songs you would want to learn how to play? 
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. "  -Lex Luthor

Offline Rocket Man

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Light is my paint
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »

What are you favorite songs, or songs you would want to learn how to play?

Favorite songs would be pretty much anything by HURT. But to name two songs I would like to be able to play, I would pick Cold Inside and That (such a thing)

(click to show/hide)

personate-rain