Author Topic: Dark Tower, Stephen King (minimal spoilers)  (Read 2311 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
Dark Tower, Stephen King (minimal spoilers)
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »
Just finished the audiobook for the first Dark Tower book. I really enjoyed it. It's got the trappings of a fantasy story, but an entirely different sensibility about it.

Can't wait for my credits to refresh on the 20th to get the next one.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Pscheptyck

• Off to a Start
Re: Dark Tower, Stephen King (minimal spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:24 AM »
Great series, though, the Gunslinger is my least favorite of the series. I started with Book 2 (Drawing of the Three) and went on from there. However, overall, that series is my favorite fantasy/sci-fi series.

I have heard that Ron Howard is making three theater realeased movies and a mini series on TV to cover the entire series, but I'm not certain on my information.

Offline Ansalem

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:43:05 AM »
One of my favorites, as well. It's definitely a different take on the fantasy epic. It gets kind of ridiculous in places, but overall it's a great series.

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »
just stop after book 4.  the rest of the books do not exist.

but really, after his accident stephen king's writing really changed.    I wouldnt say worse, but the dark tower took a hit as he was halfway through the series when it happened.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. "  -Lex Luthor

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »
Really? I enjoyed the last couple books the most. Matter of taste, I guess. Anyway, here's what Wikipedia says about the film:

Originally announced in April 2010, it was officially confirmed by Stephen King and Universal Pictures on September 8, 2010, that the series will be brought to both the big and the small screens via a trilogy of feature films and two seasons of a television series to bridge gaps between the films. According to a press release from Universal on October 29, 2010, the first Dark Tower film will open on May 17, 2013. According to Howard, after the first film, which will be more action-oriented, a six-episode television miniseries will follow, focusing more on character-driven drama.
"The object of superior man is truth." Confucius

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
The whole thing got cancelled.  Hollywood would rather remake Jake and the Fat Man.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »
How much of King's other work have you read? At least being familiar with most of it really makes Dark Tower more enjoyable later on.

Offline David E.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »
I would suggest reading Insomnia especially, it may as well be the 8th DT novel, and it's a great story on its own.  Eli Wallach does a great reading of it on Audible.  Black House is pretty important as well. 

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
Like all King books, the entire Dark Tower series has good parts and schlocky parts.
evolve.

"Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid." --Johnny Slick

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
I will add the low men in yellow coats, which I actually thought was one of King's best short stories.  Oddly enough, the movie was named Hearts in Atlantis, which was the name of a different short story in the same book as the Low Men.  Hearts in Atlantis is also very good but has nothing to do with the Dark Tower.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. "  -Lex Luthor

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
Just don't read the last book, great series with the second worst ending in literature, after the Bible.

Offline Pscheptyck

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »
Just don't read the last book, great series with the second worst ending in literature, after the Bible.

I agree with you. The ending ruined the entire series for me. As I recall, in the Afterward King said that he had to end the book that way and if anyone has read the books, they would understand. I have read the books and I strongly disagree.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Yeah, it was a poor ending. I think he did what the writers of Lost did: Make a story with so many wild threads that there was no good way to resolve things. In both cases, the ending was a cop-out.

It's always risky writing a story without a clear idea of where you want it to end up.
"The object of superior man is truth." Confucius

Offline David E.

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:43:04 PM by David E. »

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »

Have you read Memory Sorrow and Thorn (Tad Williams)?  Best setup followed by worst ending in all of Fantasy fiction.  I don't usually shout at books, but I shouted at To Green Angel Tower more than once.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain