Author Topic: Recommend fantasy series for me  (Read 1746 times)

Online Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Recommend fantasy series for me
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
I like Dune a lot.

But then, due to some as-yet undiagnosed brain deficiency, I'm willing to admit that I like the follow-up books in that universe written after Herbert's death by his son and that other dude.  I'm the only person in the world who admits to liking them, even though they sold quite well.

I haven't read any of those books, why don't you list them in order of chronology or in order of favourites?

To be honest, I don't think I have finished Chapterhouse Dune, which is odd as the Bene Gesserit were one of my favourite groups of people in the Dune universe.

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
I like Dune a lot.

But then, due to some as-yet undiagnosed brain deficiency, I'm willing to admit that I like the follow-up books in that universe written after Herbert's death by his son and that other dude.  I'm the only person in the world who admits to liking them, even though they sold quite well.

I haven't read any of those books, why don't you list them in order of chronology or in order of favourites?

lol there are like 20.  Some of them set in the far past (compared to the FH originals) with completely different tone/style, some of them in the near past or immediate future with an attempt to match the tone/style.

I enjoyed all of them.

I met Brian Herbert once, before the recovery of the notes for Dune 7 was widely known, and he told me all about it.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
I'll admit, I like most of the near past prelude to dune stuff, except maybe the one about Duncan Idaho.  The Butlerian jihad stuff is pretty bad and I have a hard time believing that its what Frank Herbert had in mind. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
I'll admit, I like most of the near past prelude to dune stuff, except maybe the one about Duncan Idaho.  The Butlerian jihad stuff is pretty bad and I have a hard time believing that its what Frank Herbert had in mind.

See, I didn't find it bad, just dramatically different in style/tone.  For the near past prequels and Dune 7, I think they tried pretty hard to match the tone of the FH originals (whether they succeeded or not is debatable).  But for the far past prequels, the setting is so different that I think they threw the Dune "mind games within mind games" tone out the window and just told an adventure story set in a different part of the same overall timeline.  In a shared universe sort of way.  It actually makes sense to me, because humanity evolves a long way in the intervening years.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »
http://whatshouldireadnext.com
This is quite a cool site.
You input a book you liked and it recommends other stuff you might like.
Its spot on with the suggestions Ive already read.
If Netflix can be so accurate in recommending stuff then I think I will give this a try!
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen

Offline x-trino

• Off to a Start
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
As a teenager I loved to read Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms-series. Lots and lots of books to read, with multiple different characters. Basic fantasy stuff, people with swords and magic. I don't know if they are any good to read as an adult though. But I really loved them back then. And I also recommend to read Ursula Leguin's Earthsea-series.

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
I tried Earthsea. Bit too much magic and dragons for my liking. It did seem very well written though.

Offline Mouse

• Off to a Start
  • "Beep" - Sputnik
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
Personally I'm a really big fan of David and Leigh Eddings (if they haven't already been mentioned)
The only books of theirs I'm missing are Polgara the Sorcerer and the Rivan Codex (which isn't a novel, more a factbook iirc).

I make a game out of it. Not allowed to order it online, have to check at least one book store whenever I go out to see if they have them. The hunt is more fun than the catch

Offline PANTS!

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »
I just listened to Robert E. Howard's The Tower of the Elephant on Podcastle, and it is fucking great.  So now I need to circle back and read more Conan stuff.

I am going back and picking up a lot of the fantasy classics that I missed back in the day.  Elric, Fritz Leiber, etc.  Its really fun, especially as I am steeped in D&D lore, and reading this stuff you can see EXACTLY where Gygax got the idea for this spell, or that magic item.  For instance, I always wondered about the Trap the Soul spell - why so specific about its affects?  Why did it need a Gem?  Well, much of the lore surrounding the spell details comes right out of The Tower of the Elephant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:05:36 AM by PANTS! »
No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful.  Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful. - TMBG

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand  - Vonnegut

Offline starnado

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Huh?
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
I tried Earthsea. Bit too much magic and dragons for my liking. It did seem very well written though.

Shame that. My first time playing Zelda - Windwaker (as featured in your wicked new avatar) I felt like Sparrowhawk in his little boat Lookfar. They remain among my favourite books and Windwaker is definitely one of my favourite games, even after all this time.

It is very well written.

Did anyone else read 'The Wizard Knight' by Gene Wolfe? It had a really unpleasant part that still gives me shivers
(click to show/hide)
but on the whole was beautifully written in a sparse, descriptive prose that was reminiscent of a Norse saga or a campfire tale. I have already mentioned this book but I would be very interested in a second opinion.

Offline PANTS!

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
Along the lines of the old Fantasy Stuff, I am currently reading The Mathematics of Magic by L. Sprague De Camp and Fletcher Pratt.  Turns out this is one I HAD read before.  I attributed the magic system here to Zelazny's Amber books - which Arth called me out on. 

But this is the series of books where the philosophers and psychiatrists literally redefine reality by thinking about subtle changes the rules of logic and rhetoric.  In other words reality follows their wishes about reality.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful.  Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful. - TMBG

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand  - Vonnegut

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
I make a game out of it. Not allowed to order it online, have to check at least one book store whenever I go out to see if they have them. The hunt is more fun than the catch

Haha that's what I did with Groo comics.  After 10+ years I found the last one I was missing (Marvel #117) at the local con.  Not a single issue bought from Mile High or other online back-issue retailers.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »

Shame that. My first time playing Zelda - Windwaker (as featured in your wicked new avatar) I felt like Sparrowhawk in his little boat Lookfar. They remain among my favourite books and Windwaker is definitely one of my favourite games, even after all this time.

It is very well written.

Did anyone else read 'The Wizard Knight' by Gene Wolfe? It had a really unpleasant part that still gives me shivers
(click to show/hide)
but on the whole was beautifully written in a sparse, descriptive prose that was reminiscent of a Norse saga or a campfire tale. I have already mentioned this book but I would be very interested in a second opinion.
To my shame Ive yet to finish windwaker on the DS. Im stuck in that stupid time temple. It takes 15 minutes to get to the bit im stuck on (drawing the symbol on the door) and i can never seem to get it right. I try for a bout 2 hours solid twice a year and then throw the DS back under my bed.
When I get a new laptop Im going to download an emulator and finish Majoras Mask as I only had it for a week 8 years ago and got stuck on the stealth bit in the pirate stronghold. >:( bloody stealth sections.
Twilight Princess might be my favourite though. Game Cube version not wii.

Anyway. Im almost finished book three of the Riyria trilogy. Holy crap I cant put it down. Its taking up all my free time to the point where i dont want to go to the gym or eat.

personate-rain
personate-rain