Author Topic: My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive  (Read 783 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
That might be the saddest story I've ever heard.

Although I don't think I'm quite the book hoarder you were...

I couldn't bring myself to get rid of books. It always seemed as though I might want to read them again. One time I decided to get rid of a bunch, but after going through my entire houseful of books, I only had one small box I could bring myself to give away to the library. I have lived alone my entire adult life, not counting my cat. Books were my companions and my entertainment. I really loved them. Losing them was probably the hardest thing about selling my house. Yet of all those hundreds of books, there were probably no more than a dozen, if that many, that I ever went back and read a second time.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
I *think* that if I had to dump my extensive book collection, I have the requisite social network (mainly via two friends who each own/operate game stores) to find a younger person who'd take them off my hands.  If I was 25 years younger, I would be able to be found that way.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Ah.hell

• Over Nine Thousand!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
I have a book fetish still, even though I haven't bought a real book(except text books) in a few years.  I can't bring myself to part with my books.   In part, I think it will be good for my kid to grow up in a house full of books.  With out evidence, I just think it sets the right tone. 

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
I grew up in a house full of books. None were off limits. Also, paintings on the walls. This was my mother's house. In my father's house, where I was required very much against my will to spend alternate weekends, my step-mother had a big collection of (presumably valuable) books that I was not permitted to touch. I always thought there was something deeply wrong with the idea of not being allowed to read a book. That's what they're for. What would Charles Dickens have thought about a person who bought one of his books, and then would not allow a child to read it?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »
I grew up in a house full of books. None were off limits. Also, paintings on the walls. This was my mother's house. In my father's house, where I was required very much against my will to spend alternate weekends, my step-mother had a big collection of (presumably valuable) books that I was not permitted to touch. I always thought there was something deeply wrong with the idea of not being allowed to read a book. That's what they're for. What would Charles Dickens have thought about a person who bought one of his books, and then would not allow a child to read it?

I have a handful of "not for reading" books, but I have a "for reading" copy of each one.  A special to me (but not particularly valuable) old edition of the Silmarillion (I actually have at least 2, possibly 3, reading copies of that one) for example, and a couple of others.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »

I have a handful of "not for reading" books, but I have a "for reading" copy of each one.  A special to me (but not particularly valuable) old edition of the Silmarillion (I actually have at least 2, possibly 3, reading copies of that one) for example, and a couple of others.

Interesting idea. My mother never owned a not-for-reading book, and neither have I. I do have an extensive art collection. Each item is something I enjoy looking at for its artistic qualities. My step-mother enjoyed the fact of owning valuable books, even though she could do no more than know that she owned them. All she could ever see of them was the spine of the book on the bookshelf. Seems like a waste to me. I'd have a better opinion of her fetish if she'd done as you, and also had a copy for reading of each of the rare books.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 05:44:04 PM »
That might be the saddest story I've ever heard.

Although I don't think I'm quite the book hoarder you were...

I couldn't bring myself to get rid of books. It always seemed as though I might want to read them again. One time I decided to get rid of a bunch, but after going through my entire houseful of books, I only had one small box I could bring myself to give away to the library. I have lived alone my entire adult life, not counting my cat. Books were my companions and my entertainment. I really loved them. Losing them was probably the hardest thing about selling my house. Yet of all those hundreds of books, there were probably no more than a dozen, if that many, that I ever went back and read a second time.
I got Boss Lady to enter all her books into Library Thing. She had over 1,500 books with only 110 duplicates. I was surprised that was so low. If you two had got together you'd probably be sleeping on a mattress on top of boxes of books.  ;D

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »
A good friend helps to put on a massive book sale twice a year that benefits Planned Parenthood. They get a lot of my donations. The sale always goes well, usually with no demonstrators. Apparently the worst anti-PP'ers don't read that many books.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 07:29:21 PM »
A good friend helps to put on a massive book sale twice a year that benefits Planned Parenthood. They get a lot of my donations. The sale always goes well, usually with no demonstrators. Apparently the worst anti-PP'ers don't read that many books.

The anti-PP'ers only read one book, and you can get that one for free, because so many folks are eager to give them away. I got my copy from a Missouri Synod Lutheran. He even had a number of different translations to choose from, so I got my preferred translation. Those folks have no need of libraries, book stores, or used book sales.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain