Author Topic: Comic books/Graphic novels  (Read 10635 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Comic books/Graphic novels
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »
Ms Marvel vol. 1

This was awesome. All the things I love about comics! It reminded me of reading old Spiderman comics with the teenage difficulties/superheroing conflict!
Great dialogue, charming character, interesting mysery with the powers which are visually really cool.
Perfect for a tv show!

Offline Ambious

• Well Established
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
Has anyone read the Power Girl: Power Trip?
I read the preview and it was really good, but the book is a bit pricey so I'm thinking twice.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
Ms Marvel vol. 1

This was awesome. All the things I love about comics! It reminded me of reading old Spiderman comics with the teenage difficulties/superheroing conflict!
Great dialogue, charming character, interesting mysery with the powers which are visually really cool.
Perfect for a tv show!

OK.  I am sold.  I have been circling this title for a bit, but this put me over the top.
Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette
The wall-to-wall is calling, it lingers, then you forget
Ohhh, Oh, Oh No, you're a rock 'n' roll suicide

Offline ShadowSot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
Secret Wars has really suffered from delays, and a few of the titles haven't delivered on their title. Old man Logan was pretty good though.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
Ms. Marvel is a perfect rebooted modern Spider-Man.

Picked up Paper Girls #1 but haven't read it yet. Big thick issue.

Got the 3rd and final Dark Crystal: Creation Myths from Archaia. Beautiful,  powerful, satisfying.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
Just finished Vol. 2 of Ms Marvel, it actually gets better!

Its a bit sad how DC has nipped at its heels by making Batgirl a social media active hipster but hopefully the new Powergirl will be good.

Offline EvilNick

• Well Established
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
My girlfriend picked up book/collections 3 and 4 for me of Fatale.

Great combo of noir and Lovecraftian horror centered around a woman who doesn't age, and has ridiculous powers  of persuasion over men.  After refreshing where I was in the first two books, I started the third one last night.

Also reading Came the Dawn.  Which is a collection of EC Comics as illustrated by Wallace Wood, who as it turns out, is a native of my state.  EC Comics, for those unaware, are the originators of Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror, and various gritty crime, war, and science fiction stories of the 50's.  The reason the Comics Code was created because these works were "harming America's youth" and such bullshit. 

Though frequently simple, I have always loved this style of story-telling, and the stories are frequently surprisingly adult, not just for children, but for the 50's in general.  EC did not really write down to their audience.

Later to spawn Mad Magazine, where many of these artists and writers later transitioned.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »

Sadly, Secret Wars came at the worst time for Ms. Marvel.  GWW did her valiant best to write through the disruption, but I'm really looking forward to having all that behind us and moving on with the normal title.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2015, 06:18:22 AM »

Sadly, Secret Wars came at the worst time for Ms. Marvel.  GWW did her valiant best to write through the disruption, but I'm really looking forward to having all that behind us and moving on with the normal title.
I think Garth Ennis is the only writer who managed any of these crossovers with any grace. Hitman came out of a 90s crossover and some of the best stories were from mega events where Ennis just made fun of how absurd it all was!
A bunch of hitmen and drunks locking themselves in a pub until the world ends or gets saved while telling stories of the other annual world threatening events was genius.

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
Thanks to the thread for sending me to Locke House. Icing on the cake was the Watterson sequence - so beautiful, so gruesome.
Quaere verum

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
Just picked up the Scott Snyder/Yannick Paquette "Swamp Thing" hardcover collection.

Holy crap is it good.

Well.  There it is.

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
BTW.  In the 2nd most recent Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, her origin story is ret-conned (by Doreen's mother) as "definitely not a mutant", a delightful tongue-in-cheek reference to the movie IP divide between Fox's mutants and Disney/Marvel's almost everyone else.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »
Got the recent Bizarro trade this week.  It was SO enjoyable.  Highly recommended.  No DC background required (a vague awareness of who/what Bizarro is helps, but is not necessary).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain
personate-rain