Author Topic: Terry Pratchett passed away  (Read 1638 times)

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
Re: Terry Pratchett passed away
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 12:49:31 PM »
Well we've one more book to look forward to. It's been confirmed that there's a new Tiffany Aching on the way.

Online brilligtove

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »
Well we've one more book to look forward to. It's been confirmed that there's a new Tiffany Aching on the way.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Shepherd%27s_Crown
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2015, 04:39:48 AM »
Still so sad. The rows of Pratchetts in my book case stare at me in silent lamentation.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »
Just finished my first Pratchett-Mort
I liked it, not a masterpiece by any means but it was a fun, light, read.  I'd read more.
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Online brilligtove

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Valuum
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Just finished my first Pratchett-Mort
I liked it, not a masterpiece by any means but it was a fun, light, read.  I'd read more.

Even though that's when we really meet DEATH - my second fav character after Granny - this is my least favorite of the series. The tone changes dramatically in later books. Keep going!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Tatyana

• Well Established
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
Granny Weatherwax is my favourite character as well. Despite being a witch, she is such a skeptic.

The last book, 'The Shepard's Crown' is scheduled for release this September.

As it is a Tiffany Aching novel, the witches, including Granny Weatherwax, are going to make an appearance.

It does make me sad thinking this is the last book, and glad it is a witches novel, although I would really love another Sam Vines or Moist von Lipwig.

The amazing thing about Moist von Lipwig is that he made such a late appearance in the Discworld, yet he is such a fabulous character.

To comment on 'Mort', while Pratchett is beginning to get into the swing of things with this novel, all of the Rincewind and wizard novels are my least favourite of the whole series. I think the only two I really enjoyed are 'Equal Rites' which is wizards and the first witches novel, and 'Unseen Academicals'.  Other than that, I could leave them.

Mind you, I just watched the TV adaptation of 'The Colour of Magic' by Sky, and it was quite entertaining.

Online brilligtove

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Valuum
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Granny Weatherwax is my favourite character as well. Despite being a witch, she is such a skeptic.

In later years I came to enjoy the delicious irony of the witches (and wizards) being the most practical, hard-nosed skeptics. Headology is quite effective, too, and really can be applied on roundworld.

Last year my daughter was having nightmares about the monsters that would come up the stairs to get her. Among those scary beasts was the pink Kyle I had recently brought home.

When we went upstairs I asked her what Kyle would do if a monster came after the little girls, using my best Gru voice. Once she realized that Kyle would defend them, I told her Kyle didn't want to come upstairs. He wanted to stay at the bottom of the stairs to guard against the bad monsters. She went to sleep feeling happy and secure.

In my head all I could see is Granny Weatherwax giving a kid a frightened kid a stepladder and a big stick.

Online Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
Pratchett may be dead but CMOT Dibbler lives on!

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »
Have any Londonites ever had a street vendor meat pie?

Online brilligtove

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Valuum
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »

I was careful to choose the 'named meat' option when I lived there.

Online brilligtove

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Valuum
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
Pratchett may be dead but CMOT Dibbler lives on!

I saw that pic and "DIBBLER" screamed in my head.

Nice find!

Online starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:32 AM »

I have never seen a street vendor selling pies in London , mores the pity. I have eaten a small mammal onna stick in Krabi in Thailand. Rat onna stick? That is what it has anecdotally evolved into.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online brilligtove

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Valuum
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »

I have never seen a street vendor selling pies in London , mores the pity. I have eaten a small mammal onna stick in Krabi in Thailand. Rat onna stick? That is what it has anecdotally evolved into.

TBH I have no actual recollection of gnawing a meat stick in London. I do (vaguely) recall that chips and curry are the best food ever at 3AM in Glasgow after the clubs, though.

personate-rain