Author Topic: Handmaids Tale - Opinions  (Read 1360 times)

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
Re: Handmaids Tale - Opinions
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Have to resurrect this thread. Just finished listening to the BBC audioplay/audiobook. Really good production. It does, however, leave a tremendous amount out. But the dramatization is rather commendable in its own right. I've read this twice before, way back, and it's still on a bookshelf somewhere in storage in SLC, 2,000 miles away and collecting dust. I'm going to go check out the latest publication from my library this week. I have a weakness for dystopian SF, but the thing is... This is chillingly and frighteningly prophetic, more so now than ever (i.e. the GOP's current war on women).

Offline Jolimont

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »
A great read in IMO, but it's been so long since I've read it, I can't really talk about it intelligently now. I never read anything by Atwood I didn't enjoy.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
I had a hard time getting through Oryx and Crake. But then I went back a few years later and devoured it.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
Really... I am normally a pretty big fan of Atwood but The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake are pretty easily my least favorite works of hers. In fact, most Atwood hatas I know only know here from Handmaid and I have to convince them that she's not like Ayn Rand; no, really, not all of her writing is really like that. But to each their own I guess.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
Word.

Dystopian SF is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
One of my favorite books ever.  I think it is a good representation of what an American theocracy might look like.

I liked it when I read it in secondary school.  I remember one girl dry heaving at the thought of the sex scene (with the three people) in the book.  Gave us lads a good laugh in class.

Online Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
I've read it more than once, although much closer to its date of publication.

The more time that goes by, the more paranoid it seems to me. I know Atwood has done other scifi/apocalypse stuff since then, but I haven't read any of it. And, come on. Really? The United States falls prey to that kind of thinking but not a single other Westernized nation does? Both Canada and Japan are presented as perfectly normal cultures that do not fall prey to either wanton oppression of women or falling birthrates.

Plus, the internal logic and politics of that world don't really make any sense either. And history has shown us that falling birthrates (check!) and one very popular conservative public female with old-fashioned opinions about how men and women should relate to each other within a family (check!) can't engage that kind of draconian social machinery. Plus there was an awful lot of radioactive waste lying around without any evidence of a nuclear holocaust.
(click to show/hide)
Since we're resurrecting a thread I'll resurrect this post.   This pretty much describes all dystopian fiction for me, except maybe 1984 because it pretty much came true in East Germany and North Korea.  Don't get me wrong I pretty much love dystopian sci fi, just saying it all seems a bit paranoid 20 years later.

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:03 AM »
The point of dystopian SF isn't "This is a thing that's gonna happen", or even "This is a thing that's gonna happen unless we change our ways", it's more "Here is a trait of humankind, only turned up to eleven".
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 02:25:18 AM »
The point of dystopian SF isn't "This is a thing that's gonna happen", or even "This is a thing that's gonna happen unless we change our ways", it's more "Here is a trait of humankind, only turned up to eleven".

I love dystopian literature;

Faherenheit 451
Brave NEw World
ANthem

WHat else classics I'm missing
?

Offline Rabbit

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
The Road
A Clockwork Orange
A Scanner Darkly (actually a lot of Philip K. Dick)

There's a bunch of them.

Online Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »
Sure, I get that but most is usually written with the zeitgeist of its time which is why they often seem a bit paranoid in hindsight. This also probably why 1984, 451 and brave new world aged as well as they had.  The were all bit apart from the then current zeitgeist.  That's my 2 cents anyway. 

The road is technically post-apocolpyptic.

Offline Rabbit

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
Damn, you're right.  :-[

personate-rain