Author Topic: My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive  (Read 224 times)

Online Sawyer

• Keeps Priorities Straight
My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
Thanks to library book sales, I've been nabbing really cheap literature for the last few years.  This has helped me build an extensive library without hitting my pocketbook ... until now. I ran out of shelf space a month ago.  Rather than finally bite the bullet and buy a Kindle/Nook, I headed off to the hardware store and blew $55 on lumber, stain, and polyurethane.  And after about 6 hours of labor (I'm a slow carpenter) I now have a pretty new bookshelf!  Here it is unstocked, and with most of my science and sci fi books:

Unfortunately I also discovered how much basic engineering knowledge I've lost.  I forgot that tall structures are not as stable on soft carpet as they are on a concrete floor, and since I used full 1x10s on the back instead of thin plywood it easily tips backwards with a slight push.  If I'd stopped and thought about where the center of gravity was I would have seen this immediately.  Definitely not safe during an earthquake.  I now feel like I need to make another shelf just to overcome this minor mistake, thus wasting even more money and fossil fuels.

I know I should stop murdering trees and get a Kindle, but then how will I decorate my room to let everyone know I'm a pretentious nerd? 

Online Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: My Quest to Avoid E-books is Getting Expensive
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:05 PM »
I know I should stop murdering trees and get a Kindle, but then how will I decorate my room to let everyone know I'm a pretentious nerd?

This is now a "show off your bookshelves" thread. I demand to see your entire collection!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Sawyer

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »

This is now a "show off your bookshelves" thread. I demand to see your entire collection!

But they're on my ugly dirt brown shelves, not newly stained Jacobean.   :'(

My history shelf is a better indication of what's on sale at the library than what I actually read.  I've barely touched the WW2 stuff, and have no clue why I own 6 separate books on Teddy Roosevelt.

If it was still winter, there'd be Calvin and Hobbes or Onion archives in place of the fan.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:06 AM »

But they're on my ugly dirt brown shelves, not newly stained Jacobean.   :'(

(click to show/hide)

My history shelf is a better indication of what's on sale at the library than what I actually read.  I've barely touched the WW2 stuff, and have no clue why I own 6 separate books on Teddy Roosevelt.

If it was still winter, there'd be Calvin and Hobbes or Onion archives in place of the fan.

Ah, pretty!! It's about them, not where they reside!! I sorely, sorely regret not keeping my childhood and adolescent Calvin and Hobbes collection, which was damned near complete... but like you, I buy faster than I can read. I've probably read 60% of the words on my shelves.

Do you have particular tastes toward the books you buy on impulse?

(Pretty and old is an easy sell for me, but especially so if it's classic literature that I've read or would like to read, and/or have anything to do with science or music)

My babies:

^WWII history, outdoor survival, skepticism and philosphy, hard science, and classic fiction

^Music, fiction, LPs, comics, and a stack of "nowhere to put these"

^Pile of old and pretty books recently found at an antique store ranging from a first edition Shirer Berlin Diaries, to a 1906 Alice in Wonderland with some gorgeous illustration. That was a glorious day.

Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online arthwollipot

• Frequent Poster
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:07 AM »
Books are good, but I've barely opened a paper book in the years since I got a Kindle.
Do or do not. There is no spoon.

Only Zuul.

personate-rain