Author Topic: Recommend fantasy series for me  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Recommend fantasy series for me
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
I like Dune a lot.

But then, due to some as-yet undiagnosed brain deficiency, I'm willing to admit that I like the follow-up books in that universe written after Herbert's death by his son and that other dude.  I'm the only person in the world who admits to liking them, even though they sold quite well.

I haven't read any of those books, why don't you list them in order of chronology or in order of favourites?

To be honest, I don't think I have finished Chapterhouse Dune, which is odd as the Bene Gesserit were one of my favourite groups of people in the Dune universe.

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
I like Dune a lot.

But then, due to some as-yet undiagnosed brain deficiency, I'm willing to admit that I like the follow-up books in that universe written after Herbert's death by his son and that other dude.  I'm the only person in the world who admits to liking them, even though they sold quite well.

I haven't read any of those books, why don't you list them in order of chronology or in order of favourites?

lol there are like 20.  Some of them set in the far past (compared to the FH originals) with completely different tone/style, some of them in the near past or immediate future with an attempt to match the tone/style.

I enjoyed all of them.

I met Brian Herbert once, before the recovery of the notes for Dune 7 was widely known, and he told me all about it.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
I'll admit, I like most of the near past prelude to dune stuff, except maybe the one about Duncan Idaho.  The Butlerian jihad stuff is pretty bad and I have a hard time believing that its what Frank Herbert had in mind. 

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
I'll admit, I like most of the near past prelude to dune stuff, except maybe the one about Duncan Idaho.  The Butlerian jihad stuff is pretty bad and I have a hard time believing that its what Frank Herbert had in mind.

See, I didn't find it bad, just dramatically different in style/tone.  For the near past prequels and Dune 7, I think they tried pretty hard to match the tone of the FH originals (whether they succeeded or not is debatable).  But for the far past prequels, the setting is so different that I think they threw the Dune "mind games within mind games" tone out the window and just told an adventure story set in a different part of the same overall timeline.  In a shared universe sort of way.  It actually makes sense to me, because humanity evolves a long way in the intervening years.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »
http://whatshouldireadnext.com
This is quite a cool site.
You input a book you liked and it recommends other stuff you might like.
Its spot on with the suggestions Ive already read.
If Netflix can be so accurate in recommending stuff then I think I will give this a try!
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen