Author Topic: Help!  (Read 57 times)

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Help!
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »
I am having reader's block.

After reading all available in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' and having a wee stint with Margaret Atwood, I have been floundering with things to read.

I have two modes, one where I don't mind more trivial, easy to read books, for example, I have been reading paper copies of 'The Hunger Games' and find them enjoyable.

My other mode is craving phenomenal literary fiction, and while Margaret Atwood sort of fills the category, I have been having a hard time getting into Umberto Eco's 'The Prague Cemetary' and Haruki Murakami IQ84, even though I have been enjoying them (the latter more than the former).

I may have to go back to Iain M. Banks, he is phenomenal but the Culture does have a lot of cringe inducing moments.

I also love great fantasy and science fiction, but there is also so much dross.

I have also had issues with Scott Lynch the gentlemen bastard series, which seems a bit hit and miss, and I don't know if I can be bothered to carry on with the second book.

I also like science books, and I am almost through 'The Science of Discworld 3, Darwin's Watch' and Richard Wiseman's 'Night School as well as starting 'The Making of the Atomic Bomb' and 'God's Secretaries: The Writing of the King James Bible'.

I have just started a book by Christopher Moore, and while on the light side it may be the next series I can listen to.

This is my issue, I am 1/4 to 1/2 way through about 8-10 books, and none of them are really capturing my full interest.

I need some inspiration or suggestions to get over my lack of drive to complete books.

Oh yes, and I am also half way through a Honor Harrington novel, and I have had a good stint in this series and I may have to complete that huge series of books.

I need a super kick-ass series of books or one or two really good books suggestions.

Online DonA

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Not helping the situation since 1979
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »
I'm going to start the Expanse Series (book #1 is Leviathan Wakes) tonight by James  S.A. Corey.  It's sci-fi, so not sure that works for you or not.

A couple friends of mine cannot say enough good things about this series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_Wakes
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
- Robert Pirsig

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
If you haven't read Patrick Rothfuss' work, Kingkiller Chronicles, you're really missing out.. 

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
Seriously, the book section is my fav on this site.

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
+1 for Kingkiller. That is my most anticipated next book, far more so than the next GRRM book.
Also I mentioned Theft of Swords in the book review thread, that was really good and you will likely know after a chapter or so if its for you.
Not reading any science at the moment unfortunately.
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen

personate-rain