Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 63953 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 09:10:24 PM »
WIRED 7 out 10. It was a quick sci-fi action thriller. I don't want to put up any spoilers yet. It is only .79 cents for the kindle and worth every penny! It was fast paced but had a few cringe worthy lines. The only me religion comes up it is either an atheist or agnostic point of view so that was kind of cool, but some of the science in it was bad. That said, it could make a fun movie if Hollywood would stop make squeals or remakes.

Offline JLK

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Where is my vote?
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Book 4 and 5 in the Fire and Ice series.  I keep looking in the mail for my medal but it hasn't come yet.
Whew what a mess!
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

Saul Bellow-1976

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »
WIRED 7 out 10. It was a quick sci-fi action thriller. I don't want to put up any spoilers yet. It is only .79 cents for the kindle and worth every penny! It was fast paced but had a few cringe worthy lines. The only me religion comes up it is either an atheist or agnostic point of view so that was kind of cool, but some of the science in it was bad. That said, it could make a fun movie if Hollywood would stop make squeals or remakes.

Judging by Hollywood's record, maybe it's best that it not be made into a movie so as to not taint its memory.

I've heard a couple other people praise Wired very highly... must check it out.

Book 4 and 5 in the Fire and Ice series.  I keep looking in the mail for my medal but it hasn't come yet.
Whew what a mess!

...also on my "to eventually read" list.  :D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 06:18:56 AM »
Yeah 7/10 might have been too harsh. It start's off fast and is pretty good, lots of twist. Just occasionally there will be a line that is so cheesy or cliché it kind of broke me out of the world. Still, it was enjoyable. The epilogue also kind of broke me out and should have been left out, but I'm getting into spoiler territory so I'll stop.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
Yeah 7/10 might have been too harsh. It start's off fast and is pretty good, lots of twist. Just occasionally there will be a line that is so cheesy or cliché it kind of broke me out of the world. Still, it was enjoyable. The epilogue also kind of broke me out and should have been left out, but I'm getting into spoiler territory so I'll stop.

I think I read your review as more positive than you intended...  :D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
Collapse; Jared Diamond - 9/10

A really good read and a must, much like Guns, Germs and Steel.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »
Digital Barbarism; Mark Helprin - 2/10

The prose is solid and fun to read. That said, the book is just a polemic against change. You can almost see Helrin standing on his lawn shouting at the interwebs. "get off my lawn!".

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
Collapse; Jared Diamond - 9/10

A really good read and a must, much like Guns, Germs and Steel.
I actually thought it was written a lot better than GG&S; the latter had some good points and then just basically repeated them over and over again throughout the book. Collapse at least went into some (really interesting) detail about the various collapsed civilizations and the evidence for why they fell apart.

The Psychopath Test - 10/10

I don't think I've ever flipped through a book that quickly. The subject matter was interesting, Jon Ronson is hilarious and a genius, and... yeah, it was just goodstuffs.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »
The Demon Under the Microscope; Thomas Hager - 6/10

Decent prose. Hager goes into the history behind the development of antibiotics. Not overly inspired but compelling.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »
Hitch 22; Christopher Hitchens - 8/10

Great read. If you're a fan it's a must, and like all of the Hitch's works, the material is dense but well written and worth the time and quite enjoyable.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
The media relations department of hizbollah wishes you a happy birthday; neil macfarquhar - 8.5/10

Unfortunate title, but excellent read. MacFarquhar gives you a sense of what the average person is like, and the challenges they face throughout the middle east. He is very deft and weaving between personal stories and political themes. If you are interested at all in why people 'hate' the US or in how to break through and covert the middle east to a pro-western stance you will want to read this book.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
I've been on a "quick light read" phase and thus the last book(s) I read are the entire Harry Potter series. I finally managed a goal I set for myself when the entire series was finished - I read all 7 of them in succession. It only took 2 wks. I'll give the series an 8 of 10, because, really, they're just so damn fun to read. I think that Rowling has gotten some flak for her writing style, but having accidentally read some of a fan-fic imagining of the 7th book... yeah, her stuff is about 1 million times better. Granted, it was fan-fic... but it puts some perspective on the issue.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
I started on book 5 of HP after seeing the first 4 movies... no denying, they are very fun reads.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »
I started on book 5 of HP after seeing the first 4 movies... no denying, they are very fun reads.
I am an unabashed reader of (good) children's fiction. I recommend, though, if you've the inclination, that you read the first 4 books, too. They're at least 10x better than the movies, which I don't even remember watching.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
I've read about two dozen Asterix comics over the past month or so.

Ones written before Goscinny died:  10/10.  I don't know how they managed to get so many puns translated into English, but they managed it.  Hit after hit after hit.

Ones written after Goscinny died:  6/10.  Underzo has done his best, but he just can't maintain the quality of the gags.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada