Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 10115 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • Oodles of Doodles - My blog
Re: Shanti Book Review Thread
« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Read the sequels--Son of a Witch, Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz. I'm not saying you'll understand things--that doesn't seem to be the point--but there is a wonderful mythology created in these books, and I need to reread them all. Out of Oz is so fantastic, probably my favorite after Wicked, which is probably on my short list for "best book ever".

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Online Desert Fox

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2014, 02:02:11 AM »
Don't want to start a new thread but how about older books that are Libravox or other free sources which are good?
I know I liked Captain Blood a lot.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Frequent Poster
    • Trips to Japan!
Re: Shanty town rate the last book you just read
« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
Yuru Yuri volume 10.5

I liked reading this as it was nice to see some of more of the non-main side characters. Akari's sister and her friend always crack me up. 

9/10

Offline pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
Re: Shakma Book Review Thread
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2014, 03:30:39 AM »
Don't want to start a new thread but how about older books that are Libravox or other free sources which are good?
I know I liked Captain Blood a lot.
I haven't checked out Libravox in ages. Some of the audio quality drove me crazy. I might try them again, though. I want to read some Bronte in the near future.

Rillon's Law
"

Online Ambious

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2014, 03:53:13 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Read the sequels--Son of a Witch, Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz. I'm not saying you'll understand things--that doesn't seem to be the point--but there is a wonderful mythology created in these books, and I need to reread them all. Out of Oz is so fantastic, probably my favorite after Wicked, which is probably on my short list for "best book ever".

Yeah, I donno...
(click to show/hide)
"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know,' and thou shalt progress."
— Maimonides

Offline pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2014, 07:17:57 AM »
DO EET

[literally sent via flying euphemism]

Rillon's Law
"

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
« Reply #351 on: April 16, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
A Sword into darkness - Thomas A. Mays

Hard sci-fi, jokes about the Magic Drive and then goes on to making a drive that is at least plausible sounding without being a warp drive or something way out there. Good characters, nice tech, perfectly chilling aliens and a good explanation of why that arts department should never have guns.

Look who's back - Timur Vermes

Alternative history, as a middle aged guy wakes up in Berlin in 2011, his uniform reeking of petrol. He is pleased to be out of the bunker and willing to do it all over again. Gives numerous examples of how perfectly reasonable statements can veer off into lunacy at the drop of a hat. Looking forward to reading this in German. Brilliant cover.
Quaere verum

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #352 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
I could write a whole thesis for this one.  But I will try to keep this short and too the point.

The Adventures of Kavelier and Clay,  Michael Chabon  6.5/10

I will start with the bad.  It's way too long.  The story takes forever to get going.  The main story arc of one of the main characters doesn't really begin until the second half of the book.  I think the theme of the book is that you have to learn to let go in order to free yourself from your personal prisons.  This is fine, but damn if its not hammered into you at every moment.  This also leads to one of the bigger issues I have with the book.  Joe is struggling with survivor's guilt and worry about his family that is still trapped in Nazi occupied Czechoslovakia.  Sam is struggling with his sexuality (an issue that as I mentioned doesn't really get going until halfway through the book).  These just don't seem evenly matched and therefore the characters don't mirror each other as much as they could have, especially given that these characters are cousins so its Sammy's family too.  Most of the book takes place before the true horror of the Holocaust was publicly known, but a decent portion of it takes place in a time after society had learned about what was happening.  Given how much WW2 is present in the first half of the book, it seems strange that this really doesn't have much of an impact.  Joe has intense and understandable survivor's guilt because of his family, and I would expect this to be even more so int he aftermath of WW2.   Because of this, there were many times when I wsa reading through portions of the book related to Sam but found it hard to focus without wonder what is happening to Joe's family.

I have a few less pressing complaints.
The female characters are fairly two dimensional.
The writing is just overwrought.  You need a dictionary and an encyclopedia to get through this book.  As a Jewish comic book fan who grew up in Brooklyn, I can't imagine there are so many people as well equipped as me to get all the references in this book, but I'd peg my rate at half at best, and there are a ton of references.  to make matters worse, some references are intentionally obscured.  For example the Dodgers are a football team here, which means you can't be too sure of any of the other references.

There is just so much plot.  It feels at times like reading the script to a television series rather than a book.  the story arc here has an incline less steep than a bunny slope.

Ok now for the good.

Sam and Joe are incredibly well fleshed out. you get to know them and think of them as your friends. Their friendship as well feels totally genuine.  Chabon totally nails what it means for people to feel platonic love. The stories that happen to the characters are inventive and fun, I just wish they moved the larger story arc along more quickly.  I liked the comic within the story and Chabon really gives a lot of insight into how personal issues can be channeled through the arts.  So what really saves this book for me is that the characters are just so damn likeable that you really pull for them and want to see what happens to them.

Overall, I don't recommend this book but you might like it if you are into comics.
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Offline Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »
I'm a big Michael Chabon fan already but I would give Kavalier and Clay a way higher rating than that. Therefore you are wrong, sir.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline petrolpetal

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »
I could write a whole thesis for this one.  But I will try to keep this short and too the point.

The Adventures of Kavelier and Clay,  Michael Chabon  6.5/10

I will start with the bad.  It's way too long.  The story takes forever to get going.  The main story arc of one of the main characters doesn't really begin until the second half of the book.  I think the theme of the book is that you have to learn to let go in order to free yourself from your personal prisons.  This is fine, but damn if its not hammered into you at every moment.  This also leads to one of the bigger issues I have with the book.  Joe is struggling with survivor's guilt and worry about his family that is still trapped in Nazi occupied Czechoslovakia.  Sam is struggling with his sexuality (an issue that as I mentioned doesn't really get going until halfway through the book).  These just don't seem evenly matched and therefore the characters don't mirror each other as much as they could have, especially given that these characters are cousins so its Sammy's family too.  Most of the book takes place before the true horror of the Holocaust was publicly known, but a decent portion of it takes place in a time after society had learned about what was happening.  Given how much WW2 is present in the first half of the book, it seems strange that this really doesn't have much of an impact.  Joe has intense and understandable survivor's guilt because of his family, and I would expect this to be even more so int he aftermath of WW2.   Because of this, there were many times when I wsa reading through portions of the book related to Sam but found it hard to focus without wonder what is happening to Joe's family.

I have a few less pressing complaints.
The female characters are fairly two dimensional.
The writing is just overwrought.  You need a dictionary and an encyclopedia to get through this book.  As a Jewish comic book fan who grew up in Brooklyn, I can't imagine there are so many people as well equipped as me to get all the references in this book, but I'd peg my rate at half at best, and there are a ton of references.  to make matters worse, some references are intentionally obscured.  For example the Dodgers are a football team here, which means you can't be too sure of any of the other references.

There is just so much plot.  It feels at times like reading the script to a television series rather than a book.  the story arc here has an incline less steep than a bunny slope.

Ok now for the good.

Sam and Joe are incredibly well fleshed out. you get to know them and think of them as your friends. Their friendship as well feels totally genuine.  Chabon totally nails what it means for people to feel platonic love. The stories that happen to the characters are inventive and fun, I just wish they moved the larger story arc along more quickly.  I liked the comic within the story and Chabon really gives a lot of insight into how personal issues can be channeled through the arts.  So what really saves this book for me is that the characters are just so damn likeable that you really pull for them and want to see what happens to them.

Overall, I don't recommend this book but you might like it if you are into comics.

I hate to agree with Slick without an argument...but he is right.you are wrong (!!). I loved this book completely.

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »
Then I suppose it must be settled by a duel.
Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Offline petrolpetal

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
Ha! It is my lucky day. I'm good at duels.

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
I'm usually pretty good at understanding why someone might enjoy something even if I don't, but this isn't one of those times.  I just totally didn't get K&C. 
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

personate-rain