Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 17886 times)

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #480 on: May 08, 2015, 05:12:56 AM »
What if?
by
Randall Munroe

9 out of 10 - loses a point because I feel sad about not knowing enough math to fully appreciate it.

And I dream of 'Neutron Bullet' being a Mythbusters episode.
Quaere verum

Offline helvetica

• Off to a Start
« Reply #481 on: May 17, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »
Madame Curie, by Eve Curie

8/10

An old biography written in the 30's. I picked my copy up from ARC for $1.99 but the original price was $0.50. It's a great little biography, though at first difficult to read the writing style. (I believe it was originally translated from Polish.) Much of the biography was text from letters and journals, which adds a lot of richness to the narrative. It was actually fairly gripping and reading about Marie's life made me begin to respect her as a person as well as a scientist. A biography like this helps me remember that she really was a just human, still capable of being lazy or idle.

One part of her life that struck me odd was when she was first married. She seemed the type to not care much about being a proper wife, until she got married and suddenly decided, "Oh shit, I'd better learn how to cook and clean." Since Marie's personality struck me as someone not willing to be pressured into what she was "supposed" to do as a woman, I was surprised that she was willing to take up household duties as well as work as many hours in the lab as her husband. But she ended up being a kind of 19th Century Supermom and was a very dedicated mother, wife, and scientist.

Offline Naturebox

• Off to a Start
« Reply #482 on: May 18, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »
48 Laws of Power

8/10

Most of it is useful, some of it is too "muahaha" manipulative for me to utilize or see how it could be utilized. Also not enough contemporary examples.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Well Established
« Reply #483 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett
Latest in the Painted Man series.
4/10
This series keeps getting worse. Way too much focus on characters I dont care about in the slightest and just a handful of chapters about Rojer or the Painted Man. Bretts dialogue is painful to read due to the regional affectations he gives the characters, the people from the europe equivelant speak like west country farmers (nothing wrong with that but it gets old to read people saying things like "I ent gona leave you") the middle eastern stand ins speak in a much too formal way where Brett inserts hard to distinguish fictional terms in this foreign language into nearly every sentence. There are different levels of fictional martial arts that are annoying to try and remember in terms of which is better. The character names are way to similar and whole chapters just blend into a series of made up words and references to irrelevant characters who were mentioned one time or another.
My final complaint is that only one or two characters are in any way likeable and they are not featured in any interesting way. Brett does that thing that Robert Jordan did where he takes female characters and turns them into sour and bossy manipulators who secretly go weak at the knees for the right (or the wrong) guys. He also spends a couple of sentences explaining the effect of kicking a lady in the crotch.
I dont know, the first book was really enjoyable, the second one was ok despite a few weird character decisions. The last two books have doubled down on all the weaknesses of the first two.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Well Established
« Reply #484 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
Double post
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:54:31 AM by Harry Black »

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #485 on: May 18, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Just finished the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. As a whole I'd say they are 8/10. The story is pretty good and I like how he integrates every aspect of his writing in it. Some of the books or parts of them felt like it dragged a bit though.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Local Despot
« Reply #486 on: May 19, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
Just finished the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. As a whole I'd say they are 8/10. The story is pretty good and I like how he integrates every aspect of his writing in it. Some of the books or parts of them felt like it dragged a bit though.

Enjoyed that series. So much so, that I might pick them back up and run through them again.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals". Kay, from Men in Black

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #487 on: May 23, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
The Old Man & The Sea - 8/10

Been on my list of classics for a very long time, but only just got to it. Typical of Hemingway, in that the story is totally unadorned, and the prose is bare bones. It seems almost too simple to be anything special. But over the course of the book, a terrifying and universal metaphor starts to take shape... like fins in the water. You wind up with a deeply unsettling picture of just what is required to sustain oneself in a difficult world, and what happens when your best isn't enough.   

Online Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #488 on: May 24, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men And Mountains by John Krakauer

9/10

I enjoyed it immensely. It's 12 short stories about mountain climbing; the stories are diverse, involving colorful characters from Krakauer's climbing experiences, and some breathtaking imagery. I'd often have to stop and google some pictures of whatever place was being described, which made the read even more fun for me. Krakauer's style is authoritative in that you feel like "he's seen it all," but he mostly refrains from making value judgments, which I personally appreciated. Most of the book is in third person, but one of the stories is an intensely personal account of an early adventure of Krakauer's, and it really spoke to me.

It's an extremely fast read, and while I'd recommend it to everybody, I'd also say it's a must-read if you're at all into the outdoors.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick

6/10

Worth a read, but didn't completely do it for me. I enjoyed the post-apocalyptic world set up by Dick, and I really enjoyed the "detective story" aspect, but I feel like the book would have had a much greater impact when it was written, rather than today, considering that the philosophical questions that arise were probably pretty heady stuff in 1968, but have been probed frequently and to a much greater depth in recent media.

Other opinions on this book?

Other PK Dick recommendations?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Sawyer

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #489 on: May 25, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
Spillover by David Quammen  - 10/10

Over the past year or so, I've been plagued by viruses and parasites slowly taking over large chunks of my brain.  Okay, not literally.  It's just become the scientific topic I spend the most time learning about.  As of today, Spillover takes the crown as the best general science book I've read on this topic.

Lots of gutsy journalism and in-the-field interviews with scientists.  Quammen had no qualms about traveling to Ebola ridden areas of the Congo, or stepping through bat crap right after learning that it likely contained Nipah virus, or braving some of the more seedy meat markets in China and Hong Kong.  Impeccable and thorough scientific explanations of how viruses infect humans and animals.  Usually you're lucky if pop-sci biology books tell you what DNA stands for.  Spillover had a complete explanation of why RNA viruses mutate faster than DNA, why PCR analysis is not the same as detecting live virus, and how retroviruses insert their genes into cells.  And how surface adhesion proteins work.  And the basics of SIR disease modeling. And none of it is boring.  All these descriptions stealthily wedged in between daring adventures trying to catch wild animals and gruesome tales of death.  I even had a few laugh out loud moments, but maybe I'm a sucker for bat puns.

I think there's an updated version of this book since the latest Ebola outbreak, but the 2012 version is good enough.  The only thing missing in the book is a differentiation between airborne transmission and droplet transmission (eg the concept that paranoid Ebola nuts loved to purposefully misunderstand last fall).  That's really nitpicking though.

Don't bother with The Hot Zone.  Don't read another boring book about evolution.  Don't watch Dallas Buyers Club to learn about AIDS.  Read Spillover.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #490 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »
Damn, Sawyer... that was a pretty convincing review.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #491 on: May 26, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Pines, book one of the Wayward Pines trilogy.

4/10
Stay away.
This was pretty horrible.  The twists are dumb, the plot makes no sense, the characters are bland, the fight scenes are insane, people survive completely ridiculous amounts of physical injury, and the writing is bad.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #492 on: Today at 09:23:21 AM »
The Wizard Knight (duology) by Gene Wolfe 9/10

I am reading this for the second time. I have one thing to say-
EVERYBODY SHOULD READ IT.
What a beautifully written book. Please read it so we can discuss it. Or, if you have read it, tell me what you thought.
I will elaborate further on my views of the narrative style and the roles of the characters if anyone is interested.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson