Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 13137 times)

Offline lonely moa

• Frequent Poster
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #435 on: February 06, 2015, 01:44:31 AM »
Naomi Klein "This Changes Everything".  10/10 for the concept, but 7/10 for the book.  Should have been shorter.  It is extremely well researched and documented, and of course it is the most pressing problem of our times.  I heard her on a couple of interviews on the radio and that interested me in her book. 

There was a lot of new political and activist information that was new to me. 

I am even more convinced that humans are fucked as a viable species.
"If God did not want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat." —John Cleese

Offline Grimner

• Well Established
« Reply #436 on: February 07, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »
Just went through a couple of books by John Ringo. It is not high literature. I picture him churning out a book in a week with cursory proof-reading and less checking for consistency. The characters come to life more by accident than any planning (they have a tendency to rant in the most boring way about politics), and where some nasty writers kill good characters, Mr. Ringo seems happy to forget all about them.

Still, action scenes are good to excellent. This comes out in the Black Tide Rising series where the zombie apocalypse is on. Good read for gore on the high seas. Tip of the day: if there is a zombie outbreak (he manages to make this breed sound plausible), do not get caught on a cruise ship.
Quaere verum

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #437 on: February 07, 2015, 06:55:16 PM »
I'm nearing the end of the third Jack Reacher book, and while I'm sure there are some absolute howlers about the way the US military is set up in this, I do have to give some credit where credit is due...

- The books are, to be honest, real page-turners. I only occasionally find myself noticing Lee Childs' writing style (it tends to be choppier, with more short sentences than average) and as such it's very easy to get into the plot. He does use a lot of hoary tropes to get the reader hooked, but many of those tropes are hoary because they work.

- In the last two books he's touched on a couple of 1990s era conspiracy theories and come out on the right side of them. The second book concerned the militia movement and their thoughts on the New World Order and all that. There's a neat part in the midst of that where Reacher is like "you're supposing that a government which can't keep an affair quiet is capable of a massive conspiracy that nobody has ever actually heard of?". This book concerns Vietnam MIAs (if you'll recall there was a big thing back then about how a bunch of the 2200 men listed as missing in action in that conflict were still being held in Viet Cong prisons, a notion which was considered bunk then and has been pretty well proven out now).

- He's managed to toss in a couple of plot twists that even my mystery-acquainted brain failed to detect. For example, in the second book...

(click to show/hide)

And now in the third book...

(click to show/hide)

So yeah, unlike my 2013 foray into the wizard detective in Chicago books by Jim Butcher, I have to say that these do have some value to them. I mean, I'm not saying this is Faulkner or anything but for mindless action/thrillers they ain't bad (I mean, other than Childs' aforementioned aversion to research, which even then is so bad it's hilarious).
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »
Childs is like a good short order chef I find. You can set your watch by his releases and you know its not great quality but you know exactly what you are getting.

Just finished Quarry by Max Allan Collins- 9.5/10
This is the first Quarry novel (not counting the later prequel) the whole thing is perfectly crafted amd easy to read noir from start to finish.
Every page has something worth putting on the cover as a quote. The story is not complex or long but the writing style really sucks you in.
If you dont like noir it wont change your mind, if you do then its a must read.

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #439 on: February 17, 2015, 07:58:27 PM »
I am about 1/3 of the way through 1Q84.
The writing style seems to have lost a lot through translation, and there seems to be way more information about the breasts of every female character than the narrative needs, but the story is gripping and the characters are interesting.  I will post a more detailed review when I am done.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:04:39 PM by superdave »
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Online Ambious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #440 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:08 AM »
Intro to Linear Algebra - ⃗v∈V / Q
It was alright, I just found the plot to be a bit... well....
never mind not worth it
"Teach thy tongue to say, “I do not know,” and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online Sawyer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »
Derivative!

BOOM, NAILED IT!!!!!!

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:21 PM »
I loved linear algebra so much.  The intro course we got to take in engineering school almost tempted me away from engineering into math.  And then the bits and pieces we got to use later on in more advanced courses made it look more and more appealing...
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #443 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
Couple of hours in to Ancillary Justice.  It's fascinating and entertaining and I love it so much already.  The perfect accompaniment to shopping for a belt last night (at Target, the chain that is going out of business in my country and was already out of belts so I had to go down to the Hudson's Bay Company est. 1670 which had plenty of overpriced belts).

Had a bit of an Audible hiatus, but back in to Ancillary Justice.  Still really enjoying it.  Dipping slightly into SF fandom, WOW some (terrible) people are outraged about the acclaim this book has received.  Unbelievable! (Or, rather, sadly too believable. Sigh.)
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • sprog
« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2015, 11:46:44 PM »
Couple of hours in to Ancillary Justice.  It's fascinating and entertaining and I love it so much already.  The perfect accompaniment to shopping for a belt last night (at Target, the chain that is going out of business in my country and was already out of belts so I had to go down to the Hudson's Bay Company est. 1670 which had plenty of overpriced belts).

Had a bit of an Audible hiatus, but back in to Ancillary Justice.  Still really enjoying it.  Dipping slightly into SF fandom, WOW some (terrible) people are outraged about the acclaim this book has received.  Unbelievable! (Or, rather, sadly too believable. Sigh.)
Ugh, why am I not at all surprised. -_-

Offline petrolpetal

• Seasoned Contributor
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #445 on: February 21, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »
Naomi Klein "This Changes Everything".  10/10 for the concept, but 7/10 for the book.  Should have been shorter.  It is extremely well researched and documented, and of course it is the most pressing problem of our times.  I heard her on a couple of interviews on the radio and that interested me in her book. 

I'll be reading this. I love Naiomi Klein. She has made a big impact on me - esp through 'Shock Doctrine'. I trust her.
Having said that...another book that really made an impact on me was 'The Spirit Level' about the effects of inequality in society. But it has now been ripped apart for cherry picking data, and manipulating the way the statistics in the book were reached.

Offline Redamare

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #446 on: February 21, 2015, 10:15:32 AM »

Ugh, why am I not at all surprised. -_-
I was trying to figure out the controversy here, but I can't find it anywhere. It's an excellent series; not sure what there is for people to complain about. I know the Hugo itself is controversial, because it's the most well-known SF award but winning it is basically a popularity contest. Found lots of blogs bitching about that, and a couple of them mention the Ancillary series in passing, but I could only find praise for the work itself.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline lonely moa

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #447 on: February 21, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »

I'll be reading this. I love Naiomi Klein. She has made a big impact on me - esp through 'Shock Doctrine'. I trust her.
Having said that...another book that really made an impact on me was 'The Spirit Level' about the effects of inequality in society. But it has now been ripped apart for cherry picking data, and manipulating the way the statistics in the book were reached.

Have you read her "No Logo"?  I was thinking of that next.
"If God did not want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat." —John Cleese

Offline petrolpetal

• Seasoned Contributor
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »

Its great. well worth a read.

Offline lonely moa

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »

Its great. well worth a read.

Ta.

personate-rain