Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 15915 times)

Online Sawyer

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #465 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
The Alchemy of Air   by Thomas Hager - 8/10

If anyone is not aware of the Haber-Bosch process, they should really learn what it is.  It's kind of a big deal.  Like, responsible for feeding billions of people, while also indirectly killing millions kind of a big deal.

This book was an overview of the birth of modern fertilizers, largely developed by Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch in WWI era Germany.  I would have liked a bit more chemistry and technical details on how the plants work, but this is certainly a good place to start.  If you recognize Haber's name, you probably already know that this story is going to get really, really dark towards the end.  Bosch's story is equally frustrating, but he at least has the will and the political know-how to stall Germany's ultimate scientific downfall.

Online Sawyer

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #466 on: March 22, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson - 7/10

Mind = blown.  The starting premise of this sci-fi novel is rather intriguing but probably not original:  the Earth somehow becomes "slowed down" in time as the universe rapidly evolves around it.  There's some biotech advances as well that are mildly interesting, but I initially thought were being used as a cheesy plot device.  Nope.  They are crucial to the story, and I kicked myself for not seeing what was going to happen.  Things get absolutely bonkers in the last third of the book.

I loved the conceptual angle of this book, but as with several other sci-fi series I found the character development to be unbearably awkward.  Everyone's personality seems to be either non-existent or incredibly forced.  If you don't mind a few tropes (super genius trying to save the world, evil power hungry businessmen, detached-yet-emotional-deep-down main character) I'd highly recommend it.

Oddly enough I heard about this book from This Week in Virology, which so far is batting 1000 in literary recommendations.

Online drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Local Despot
« Reply #467 on: March 23, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »
A Darker Shade of Magic: A Novel by V.E. Schwab

8/10 fast paced, good (but not great yet) characters, promises of more books to come. Interesting alt-reality story.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals". Kay, from Men in Black

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #468 on: March 23, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
Confessions of a sociopath, by ME Thomas.
 I think this book is a con. My guess is it was written by someone who has a theory about how sociopaths can fit into society, and how they should be raised  - and who cleverly fitted it into a popular-style format that people would read. The author gives it away in the last couple of crusading chapters. Anyway, even if I'm wrong - how can we trust this ultimately self serving, redemptive memoir written by a diagnosed sociopath?

Offline lonely moa

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #469 on: March 23, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »
"he Sense of Style", Pinker.  10/10.  I bought this for my beautiful wife to add to her stylebook (she writes professionally) but as she didn't pick it up by Boxing Day, I grabbed it.  I'll never really use it in anger but I might refer to it now and again. 

It was typical Pinker, incredibly well written, deeply fascinating, and useful.  t was a great read as well as a great reference.
"Evidence based medicine really is people doing science badly" —Ben Goldacre

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #470 on: March 23, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
"he Sense of Style", Pinker.  10/10.  I bought this for my beautiful wife to add to her stylebook (she writes professionally) but as she didn't pick it up by Boxing Day, I grabbed it.  I'll never really use it in anger but I might refer to it now and again. 

It was typical Pinker, incredibly well written, deeply fascinating, and useful.  t was a great read as well as a great reference.

I've just read a couple of reviews of this - it sounds fantastic. I'll definitely be buying it this payday.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #471 on: March 23, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Amy Poehler's autobiography
9/10ish, I guess

Add Amy Poehler to the long list of people I would like to be friends with. I don't think I want to be famous, I just want to know certain famous people.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Online Desert Fox

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #472 on: March 25, 2015, 03:21:12 AM »
Patricia Briggs - Dead Heat 6.5/10
You do have to like the series but I liked some of the other books in the series better
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stretcher

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #473 on: April 08, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
Cormoran Strike kissed Robin's hand.  :D
Sors immanis
et inanis

Offline Redamare

• Well Established
« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2015, 01:14:43 AM »
The Great Gatsby, 10 out of 10.

Just finished it for the umpteenth time, and it never fails to give up more layers of meaning and subtlety. One of a couple dozen books I will be rereading for the rest of my life.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Drewish

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Glad to be back
« Reply #475 on: April 13, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
To Be Or Not To Be

A choose your own adventure parody of Hamlet.  I've been taking "make the stupidest choices possible" approach to ensure I get to see every horrible ending.  A bit disappointed in that I've only found one "main branch" so far that just mirrors the original's story arch fairly directly.  Though I'm not "done" with the book, I have "finished" it several times.  Don't know how to rate it honestly.  I think I'd rate it well above average for a single player game, but below average for a book maybe.  I don't know, maybe the other way around.  It's just very unique.

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #476 on: April 13, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
Haven't reported in since I finished Ancillary Justice - loved the ending, very interesting and enjoyable book.

Finished the Good Omens audiobook (not the BBC dramatization, the actual book).  Very nice.  Was unavailable in Canada for a very long time (now that I've heard the disclaimers at the front, I wonder if it was about the rights to the Queen songs?).

Halfway through The Human Division by John Scalzi.  This is the one that was released as a serial a couple years ago.  Really enjoying it (but it's not a jumping on point - for that you want the very good Old Man's War).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Vay

• Off to a Start
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
I've been re-reading Steven Donaldson's The Gap series on audiobook.

I'd forgotten much of the details and am really enjoying it.  Donaldson has a tendency to draw things out with very wordy expositions on the emotional motivations of characters; still, I think the plot development in this series is just fantastic.  Frankly I'm kinda surprised they haven't tried to turn it into a movie... I think in a very condensed form it could work very well.  The first book in the series is my least favorite; I'd give that one maybe 2.5/5, with the second one being maybe a three.  The other five, though, are all five stars.
“Justice is the only worship. Love is the only priest. Ignorance is the only slavery. Happiness is the only good." - Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain