Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 17449 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
I've just listened to the first two wheel of time books. Meh...lots of pretty fantasy cliché's.  No orcs or elves though.  There's an interview with the author at the end of both and it sounds like he totally failed to achieve his goals. 

For this forum I'm pretty much a caveman in regards to gender issues and I'm finding the whole thing surprisingly gender-normative for books published in 1990. 

Anyone who has read them, should keep going?

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
I'm the hugest fan ever, but if the first two didn't do it consider stopping.  The word from fans is that books 4-6 are the best ones, but those are all people who liked 1-2 well enough already.

There's also a potential for a ragequit later when the author dies and another dude finishes off books 12-14.  Was fine for me, but some folks went off the charts.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline OhMyGecko

• Off to a Start
  • I refuse to argue against superior wit.
« Reply #452 on: October 07, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
I completely agree. I read and enjoyed all of them, though unequally. But i agree with amysrevenge.
I do though get annoyed with 'you must get into it first'. It makes the motivating factor seem mostly time investment.
The story improves and the characters become individuals with oftentimes dissimilar stories. I would give the next book a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"But what was this world created for?" asked Candide.
"To drive us all mad." replied Martin.
-Voltaire, Candide

Offline Harry Black

• at least as charming as a bum hose
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #453 on: October 09, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
Locked In- 9/10
Great sci fi detective novel.
Brilliant analogues to current issues.
Loved it!!
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen

Offline Harry Black

• at least as charming as a bum hose
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:32 AM »
Lost at Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries. 9/10

Im getting so lucky with books lately. I might drop it to 8 out of ten simply because Ronson has a way of coyly staying noncommittal when faced with something he obviously disagrees with. Sort of a played up naievete. But one could also argue that its a strength that lets his subjects open up.

The book is a series of elaborations on his more interesting articles. He takes a cruise with Sylvia Browne, patrols with superheroes, investigates scams and strange deaths and disappearances and searches through Stanley Kubricks old notes and keepsakes (more interesting than it sounds)
This was as good as The Men Who Stare at Goats and better than The Psychopath Test.
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #455 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett: 7/10

Fun, as usual. I'm pretty much alternating Discworld novels with the rest of my "to read" list these days.
A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

Offline OhMyGecko

• Off to a Start
  • I refuse to argue against superior wit.
« Reply #456 on: October 10, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
The Second Book of General Ignorance by two of the QI elves.

Good book but not great. Some of the topics weren't too interesting for me because of my lack of historical knowledge. Which meant the points didn't have any real impact for me. But the book covers many different subjects and their misconceptions.

A fun book to read overall but i have heard the first one, which i have not found, is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"But what was this world created for?" asked Candide.
"To drive us all mad." replied Martin.
-Voltaire, Candide

Online Sawyer

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #457 on: October 13, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »
Team of Rivals:  The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin - 9/10

Waaaaay better than the version of Abraham Lincoln I learned about in high school,  although that's not exactly a difficult test to pass.  While Lincoln's most well-known traits (honesty, patience, and empathy) are evident early on in the book, Goodwin shows how those characteristics pale in comparison to his political foresight.  Lincoln seems to sense exactly when he can get enough public support to pursue something, and how to slowly whittle away at the plans of his opponents.  It was funny how every member of his cabinet had an axe to grind with another member, and Lincoln was apparently the only person that perceived how those grudges were not going to play out well in the long run.

Between this book, several NPR interviews, and what I saw on the Ken Burns Roosevelt special, I'm really starting to like Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Online Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #458 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
That is a fantastic book. I think you are in fact a bad person for not giving it a 10/10. >:(
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Local Despot
    • Google+ Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 13, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »
Team of Rivals:  The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin - 9/10

Waaaaay better than the version of Abraham Lincoln I learned about in high school,  although that's not exactly a difficult test to pass.  While Lincoln's most well-known traits (honesty, patience, and empathy) are evident early on in the book, Goodwin shows how those characteristics pale in comparison to his political foresight.  Lincoln seems to sense exactly when he can get enough public support to pursue something, and how to slowly whittle away at the plans of his opponents.  It was funny how every member of his cabinet had an axe to grind with another member, and Lincoln was apparently the only person that perceived how those grudges were not going to play out well in the long run.

Between this book, several NPR interviews, and what I saw on the Ken Burns Roosevelt special, I'm really starting to like Doris Kearns Goodwin.

I really liked the book too. I was actually surprised how much I liked it.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals". Kay, from Men in Black

Offline Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #460 on: Today at 12:24:38 AM »
The Wrong Guys 8.5/10
It is about the case of the Norfolk Four. I was stalled a long time at the interview where Detective Glenn Ford got Derrick Tice to confess to murdering Michelle Moore-Bosko. Just was really painful reading, the force he used to get Derrick to confess.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll