Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 15156 times)

Online Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
Handmaid's Tale is not my favorite Atwood book but it's decent. I mean, even mediocre Margaret Atwood is pretty damn good.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »
Handmaid's Tale is not my favorite Atwood book but it's decent. I mean, even mediocre Margaret Atwood is pretty damn good.

It is the only one of hers I have read
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
Cat's Eye is fantastic. I also liked Alias Grace, The Blind Assassin, and The Robber Bride. I hear good things about Oryx and Crake as well, though I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. You can definitely do worse in general than Atwood.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »
The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg) - 9/10

Taking place 100 years before the events of GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, there are no familiar characters  and the story is completely apart from his grander series.  That being said, I loved it.  Even though it was only about 50 pages, I was quickly taken in by the central characters and quite enjoyed how even this smaller story had all the hallmarks of GRRM's style including a highly unpredictable story.  It was perhaps a bit more black and white than his more popular tales but it never felt forced or wrong.  Highly recommended if you liked his other works.  Can't wait to read the others.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »
Cat's Eye is fantastic. I also liked Alias Grace, The Blind Assassin, and The Robber Bride. I hear good things about Oryx and Crake as well, though I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. You can definitely do worse in general than Atwood.

I just read 'Oryx and Crake' as well as 'The Year of the Flood' and 'Maddaddam'. I enjoyed all of them, however, I would have to say I enjoyed the first the most, the second the second most and the last the least.

I also loved 'Alias Grace', and I remember loving 'Surfacing'.  I have read more books, but I can't recall a huge amount about any of them.

Offline Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #425 on: August 19, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »
Trial of Byron Case - PDF Book is that is alright (7.5 or 8 / 10)
Assuming that it is accurate, I really am beginning to hate the US legal system
He was convicted of shooting a woman with a shotgun while only creating a wound path that is consistent with a 9 mm pistol
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Sawyer

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #426 on: August 19, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families   Gourevitch, Philip - 8/10

After a rather grim month of international news - race riots in the US, epidemics in Africa, wars and potential genocide in Iraq and Israel, government propaganda from Russia, and failed humanitarian efforts everywhere - I thought I'd read something that crammed all these elements into one place.  Ugh.  This is the most unpleasant book I've ever read, which I pretty much expected going in.  Gourevitch was a journalist in Rwanda for several years after the peak of the Rwandan genocide, but he still had plenty of harrowing tales to recount.  At some point I want to read Dallaire's (the head of the UN task force in Rwanda) take on the issue to see how it differs from a journalist's.

Overall I'm glad I forced myself through this book, but was frustrated that I'm left with so little tangible conclusions.  Despite being warned against it in the first few pages, I found myself making the same lazy excuse of "this is just too complicated and messy to keep track of", which seems to be the same attitude that enabled the genocide to persist in the first place. 

Online drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Local Despot
    • Google+ Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:32 AM »
Fool by Christopher Moore.

9/10

Funny with great wordsmithing. Highly recommend.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals". Kay, from Men in Black

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #428 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
The First Quarry by Max Allen Collins 8/10 with a few provisos.
If you dont mind noir tales.
If you dont mind short books that arent about much except maybe the process of writing non fiction novels.
Its a really well written and tight story narrated by the main character who is a babyfaced nam vet roped into contract killing for lack of options and scruples.
The narrative is much like a one way conversation with Quarry saying "fuck you" to the reader at one point as he admits his racial bias and later assuring us that what he said was funny at the time. "You had to be there"
The main character is likeable and his decisions are all pretty good, he feels like a competent hitmam who is figuring the job out as he goes.
Collins also wrote The Road to Perdition and Id say its the best of his work Ive read. It would make a fantastic movie.
Wont take a day to read though lacks the emotional punch of the Perdition movie.
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen

personate-rain