Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 11635 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Couple of hours in to Ancillary Justice.  It's fascinating and entertaining and I love it so much already.  The perfect accompaniment to shopping for a belt last night (at Target, the chain that is going out of business in my country and was already out of belts so I had to go down to the Hudson's Bay Company est. 1670 which had plenty of overpriced belts).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline OhMyGecko

• Brand New
  • A Beautiful Melancholy
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
These days i read mostly 'classics'.

The last book i read was The Wasp factory by Ian Banks. I had looked for this book for years and found it. I had hoped it wasn't over-hyped and it certainly wasn't.
I give it an ergh/10.
It usually takes a great deal for me to put a book down because it becomes difficult to read. I often put it down for about 15 seconds before picking it back up. I needed breathing room between paragraphs simply because of his very colourful and impacting descriptions.

I was never bored but often horrified, disgusted and really curious. He builds a story with an ominous and impending tragedy but concurrently filling you with dread and despair.

If you, like me, read with a masochistic joy, then this book is great. It's quite old but I find that books age very well. I thought of taking a break from Banks' books so i'm now reading The Shining. Keep the despair rolling.
One must never mistake pattern…for meaning.
The Hydrogen Sonata, QiRia - Ian M. Banks

Offline Tatyana

• Well Established
« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

The last book i read was The Wasp factory by Ian Banks. I had looked for this book for years and found it. I had hoped it wasn't over-hyped and it certainly wasn't.
I give it an ergh/10.
It usually takes a great deal for me to put a book down because it becomes difficult to read. I often put it down for about 15 seconds before picking it back up. I needed breathing room between paragraphs simply because of his very colourful and impacting descriptions.

I was never bored but often horrified, disgusted and really curious. He builds a story with an ominous and impending tragedy but concurrently filling you with dread and despair.

If you, like me, read with a masochistic joy, then this book is great. It's quite old but I find that books age very well. I thought of taking a break from Banks' books so i'm now reading The Shining. Keep the despair rolling.

I love, love, love Iain Banks but I really understand what you are saying, I get so sucked into his worlds and end up with a visceral reaction to a sentence or phrase.

It goes from completely charmed to gut punched. I am almost finished with The Culture Series, and I have slowed down because I am so sad it is almost over and because I know it will be an emotional roller coaster.

I have finally just finished 'War of Honor' by David Weber. I started it almost a year to the day, and there are a few audio chapters I listened to 12 times over in the year.

I love the Honor Harrington series, but this one didn't grab me as much as the others.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #423 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:51 PM »

I give it an ergh/10.

I love, love, love Iain Banks but I really understand what you are saying, I get so sucked into his worlds and end up with a visceral reaction to a sentence or phrase.

It goes from completely charmed to gut punched. I am almost finished with The Culture Series, and I have slowed down because I am so sad it is almost over and because I know it will be an emotional roller coaster.

I have finally just finished 'War of Honor' by David Weber. I started it almost a year to the day, and there are a few audio chapters I listened to 12 times over in the year.

I love the Honor Harrington series, but this one didn't grab me as much as the others.

I love the Culture series. Would love to see one or more of his books picked up and turned into a tv show on a good network. So detailed and thought through.

Online Sawyer

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson - 9/10

This book had practically everything going against it for me.  The main storyline involves a lot of 17th century English history, a subject that I have always found mind-numbingly boring.  Throw in some early economics, obscure distinctions in religious sects, and detailed descriptions of naval vessels and you've got the recipe for a 900 page snore-fest.  Much to my surprise, I discovered how interesting these topics can be with just a few fictional characters thrown into the mix.  As far as I can tell, Stephenson's versions of Newton, Hooke, and Leibniz are reasonably accurate depictions, complete with their unique quirks and spiritual obsessions.  The Royal Society of London turns out to be the perfect star for the other stories to revolve around (an analogy I have to admit was a bit overused), and I got a kick out of seeing how the vagabond/natural philosopher/English royalty stories each pulled on one another.  There's a fun little physics problem in the Jack Shaftoe adventures that was pure gold.

Oh, and there's some pirates.  And lots of mishaps with genitals. 

Offline Redamare

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2015, 12:15:51 AM »
Considering these marks against it, why did you read it in the first place? Just curious.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Online Sawyer

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »
Considering these marks against it, why did you read it in the first place? Just curious.

Because people here recommended it, and my previous experience with Stephenson books.

Offline Redamare

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
I see.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

personate-rain