Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 32684 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #615 on: February 01, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
I just read a cute little book I got for Christmas called WTF, Evolution?!: A Theory of Unintelligible Design by Mara Grunbaum

It's a real fun read. The author is interviewing evolution and asks it about certain creatures. Evolution's responses are priceless.
Isn't that a blog of some kind, I'm pretty sure I've seen some examples on the internet.

Yep, there it is:
http://wtfevolution.tumblr.com/

Often quite funny.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #616 on: February 02, 2016, 02:51:38 AM »
"Misguided Medicine", Colin Champ.  10/10 for content, 7/10 for literally performance.  He's an oncologist, not a writer.  Great short read.  Hundreds of citations, but one would need to be in a medical institution to read the content of the studies, I reckon. 
"It's the home of the brave and the land of the free
 Where the less you know the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon (Disorder in the House)

Offline Desert Fox

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #617 on: February 03, 2016, 03:20:53 AM »
Just reread "Born to Run" by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon
Still is a fun book to read with fast cars, elves, and adventure.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #618 on: February 03, 2016, 04:13:41 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time getting through Cryptonomicon and Thinking Fast and Slow at the same time. What the hell was I thinking?

I used to always read a fiction and non-fiction book at the same time until I fell into a similar trap.  The trick is to have one long, challenging book underway and switch to a short, fast-paced one whenever you get stuck.  I'm currently working on Better Angels of Our Nature and browsing Thing Explainer when I get bored.

I use this strategy, too. I'm reading Will Durant's Story of Philosophy, which is as interesting as it is dense. I'm also reading Ender's Shadow, which is the 4th shorter book I've read since starting the Durant.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #619 on: February 03, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »
I'm almost done with book 15 of 19 in Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms series.
I've been through them all on audio and they are great.  I listen at work a lot and laugh my ass off.
Can't recommend enough.  I've heard them describes as a cross between Hunter S Thompson, Douglas Adams, and the film, Idiocracy.

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Local Despot
« Reply #620 on: February 04, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
I'm almost done with book 15 of 19 in Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms series.
I've been through them all on audio and they are great.  I listen at work a lot and laugh my ass off.
Can't recommend enough.  I've heard them describes as a cross between Hunter S Thompson, Douglas Adams, and the film, Idiocracy.

My word what a combination!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals". Kay, from Men in Black

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #621 on: Today at 12:10:41 PM »
After forgetting about it and coming back to it, I read Book 2 of the Witcher series. Even though they're written by a Polish guy and there's a bit of a language barrier, the prose, as clunky as it can be, is still about 5 times better than most of the crap that passes for fantasy fiction nowadays. And the story is neat as well. I'd call it dark, and I think the flavor is certainly darker than, say, Terry Brooks, but it's not *quite* as dark as GRR Martin. I mean, in the background there are kings and stuff who all behave as horribly as the people in GoT do, and on that level the "nice guys" really do get destroyed for the most part, but the titular character of the series is a guy who is able to act on his own principles and isn't killed off halfway through the first book for doing so. It's also more fantasy than alternate medieval history the way GoT is (I mean, GoT does have dragons eventually I guess (SPOILER ALERT) but magic isn't a big part of that world) but it manages to include magic and elves and crap without making the whole enterprise seem light-hearted and whimsical.

By the way, the 0th book in the series (the "first book" isn't really necessary to understand the series of novels that follows) is a lot of fun to read; rather than one big novel it's a series of short stories involving the main character as he takes on contracts to slay monsters (that's kind of what he does for a living) and in the process gets himself into the middle of a few re-thought-out fairy tales.
Louie is a butt smeller who likes to smell butts. >:(