Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 13759 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Well Established
  • Observer of Phenomena
    • arthwollipot.com
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #405 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
I tried reading American Gods, but I couldn't get into it. It completely failed to engage my interest in any meaningful manner.

I've had that reaction from other Gaiman books too, so I assume that it's a style thing.

He has a pretty distinct style and use of language, for sure.

And you probably hate bacon and puppies, too, so I'm not surprised.

Just wait until you find out what my taste in music is like!  :raise:
Do or do not. There is no spoon.

Only Zuul.

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #406 on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:33 AM »
Mercedes Lackey "Phoenix and the Ashes"
5.5 / 10
Definitely not as good as the Fire Rose for the same universe (which I give 8 out of 10)
Found that the tarot parts of the story to be tedious.
Prefer a couple more "action" scenes to be honest as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
Me again

Mara Leveritt "Devil's Knot" 8.5 /10
The book is basically about the West Memphis Three - a group of teenagers convicted of murdering three eight year old boys. It is widely believed outside of Arkansas that they are not guilty. She puts a lot more feel into the characters including the defendants including describing them warts and all - something the documentaries largely do not do. The book seems to describe just how screwed up some of the parents of the murdered eight year old boys were as well. Terry Hobbs was not covered in any detail (of course it was written before the DNA evidence that seemed to link him although I still consider it could be secondary transfer.) I kind of wish she would write a revised version covering some of  the family members she did not cover in much detail and the new material since 2001.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Sawyer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #408 on: July 13, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes - 10/10

Wow.  This book probably deserves a separate post for a review, so for now I'll just say that this is now my gold standard for how to write a book about technology and science.  Or history.  Or politics.

Offline Disappointed

• Off to a Start
« Reply #409 on: July 13, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
If I include audio books, then the last book is The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. It's an interesting summary of major philosophical thought from the Greeks through the early 20th century. While I appreciated the summary of major philosophical thought, I've become more aligned with the current school that challenges the value of the discipline. Part of the problem is I kept hearing Monty Python's "Philosopher's Song" repeatedly as I listened to the thinking of Socrates, Plato, et al.

My next book that I will actually read is Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus ..." which I'll discuss in a future post, should this thread remain active after I make it through the 700 pages.  And that's no myth take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »
Finished the latest Dresden Files audobook.  Dammit, James Marsters is getting really good at narration.  Very enjoyable.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

personate-rain