Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 19651 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #510 on: June 21, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
The Disappearance of Flight 19 by Larry Kusche.
8.5/10 - Older book but the data has not changed since he wrote his book. Probably get a cheap used copy. Goes back to the original reports, something most authors don't especially those who want to sensationalize it. He does not pull punches and does criticize the Navy in some areas such as not extending far enough north the search zone. He also gives a pretty good description of what is know and discusses at length the battle Charles Taylor's mother went to in order to get her son's name cleared.  She kind of managed but he really is at fault for the accident. Does not make him a monster but most pilots get disoriented at times.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 01:34:47 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Sawyer

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #511 on: July 04, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »
The March of Folly:  From Troy to Vietnam by Barbara Tuchman  - a strong 8/10

So the theme of this book should be fairly obvious from the title.  Barbara Tuchman explores the concept of folly in ruling institutions - military, political, and religious.  She establishes several criteria for what qualifies as folly, but the most important is when a government clearly acts against its own self-interest (as opposed to merely screwing things up for a lot of people).  The four main cases presented are the fall of Troy, the Catholic Church just before the Reformation, the British losing America, and America losing in Vietnam.  With the exception of the Troy story, I found the historical coverage in this book to be top notch.  I could accuse Tuchman of over simplifying the political lessons to be derived from these events, but considering how often these lessons are ignored I suppose they need perpetual attention.

My timing with this book was serendipitous because I managed to hear two interviews on NPR about Richard Nixon while working my way through Vietnam portion.  I've come to terms with the idea that savvy political leaders often make stupid mistakes, but it makes my stomach churn to see people that are full-blown paranoid delusional somehow become in charge of a democratic nation in the midst of a war.  Somehow the magnitude of screw ups in Iraq really didn't hit me until reading about how our Defense Department dealt with conflicting intelligence reports during Vietnam.

Offline Gerbig

• Well Established
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #512 on: July 04, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
Just cracking into the first game of thrones book, everyone is so god dam young, yikes
***Belgarath Appreciation Crew***

personate-rain
personate-rain