Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 16039 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #435 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »
My husband's girlfriend is Asian, and there are two Asian main characters.  She was face palming at how stereotyped they were.

My vision of the two Asian characters is that they strove for their entire lives to match the 80s stereotype of Japanese kids.  And the other main characters also spent their whole lives living up to the standards of 80s films.  So when they ended up acting like characters from 80s films, I understood why.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
    • Fetlife
« Reply #436 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
My husband's girlfriend is Asian, and there are two Asian main characters.  She was face palming at how stereotyped they were.

My vision of the two Asian characters is that they strove for their entire lives to match the 80s stereotype of Japanese kids.  And the other main characters also spent their whole lives living up to the standards of 80s films.  So when they ended up acting like characters from 80s films, I understood why.

Yeah.  I'm trying to figure out if that's intentional, or he's just as bad as 80s writers :P
http://www.facebook.com/Auzauviir  <-- Play Scrabble with me!

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Local Despot
    • Google+ Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 08, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

Yeah.  I'm trying to figure out if that's intentional, or he's just as bad as 80s writers :P

I think it was an homage done on purpose. The somewhat stoic, wise-cracking yet awkward Asian character was a staple of the 80's. Indiana Jones had one in the second film. It wouldn't have been hard to take any of those characters and flesh them out in the book. It was groan-inducing of course, but I think it was meant to be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals". Kay, from Men in Black

Offline OhMyGecko

• Brand New
  • I refuse to argue against superior wit.
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2014, 07:00:45 AM »
I recently read Terry Pratchett's book, Raising Steam. Well, i'm off to a bad start. I listened to the audio book by Steven Briggs. Yet he was less of a reader and more a voice actor.

I will be blunt and state the book, i thought, was tremendously good. I would recommend it to anyone on here who enjoys his style and sense of humour.

The reason for recommendation is the topics it deals with, such as racial equality, the power of technological progress and science vs the luddite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"But what was this world created for?" asked Candide.
"To drive us all mad." replied Martin.
-Voltaire, Candide

personate-rain