Author Topic: Episode #326  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #326
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »
Interview with Stephen Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde
This day in Skepticism
News Items: Vitamins and Mortality, Megavirus, NDEs, More UFOs, Electrosense, Airborne Petition
Who's That Noisy
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline craig

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #326
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »
Thanks!
"Why ya gotta act like you know when you don't know....It's okay if you don't know everything." --- Ben Folds

Offline James

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
for!
Faith is not a useful tool for discerning truth- Matt Dilahunty

"Christianity-That's messed up!" - Denise

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
Sagan used Fermat's Last Theorem on channelers. He said he would ask them "Should we be good?" and they would reply with new-agey nonsense. Then he'd ask them "What is the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem" and he would never hear back from them.

Unfortunately for skeptics, Fermat's Last Theorem has been proved so we need to find another test. I like Steve's Dark Matter suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:38:28 AM by Chew »
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
Thanks folks. Now please excuse me while I wash my hands.

WTN sounds like the day the worm-eaten old apple tree in my garden finally fell over.

Edit: Zaffod .. Ha! Who's the rogue who has never listened to the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Philistine!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:52:37 AM by Trinoc »
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »
Ha! Another Moon UFO discussion!

Daily Mail's circulation is 2 million, the 3rd largest in the UK.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:54:22 AM by Chew »

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
Ha! Another Moon UFO discussion!

Daily Mail's circulation is 2 million, the 3rd largest in the UK.

Depressing, isn't it? The Daily Mail is our equivalent of Fox News, but with a much longer disgraceful history.

<Godwin>
The Daily Mail is the paper that said Hitler was a great guy and we should have a leader like him.
</Godwin>

Actually, since 2000, it's second. The only thing more depressing is that The Sun is first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »
Sagan used Fermat's Last Theorem on channelers. He said he would ask them "Should we be good?" and they would reply with new-agey nonsense. Then he'd ask them "What is the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem" and he would never hear back from them.

Unfortunately for skeptics, Fermat's Last Theorem has been proved so we need to find another test. I like Steve's Dark Matter suggestion.

OTOH, that makes us vulnerable to a technique knows as "make shit up."
Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Forget not that I am an ass.

Offline Not_So_Big_Al

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »
Just showed the picture of the 'UFO' to my 4-year-old. She decided, independently, that it was a...seagull.

:)

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »
I think when they find an even bigger virus they should call it Tyrannovirus Rex.

Didn't Steve say in at least one earlier podcast that folic acid supplements were good thing, particularly for women to prevent birth defects? I also think I remember some positive things said about vitamin D in a not too distant podcast.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:21 PM »
Didn't Steve say in at least one earlier podcast that folic acid supplements were good thing, particularly for women to prevent birth defects? I also think I remember some positive things said about vitamin D in a not too distant podcast.

They've discussed vitamin D quite a lot.

It was in a Science or Fiction in this episode: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/archive/podcastinfo.aspx?mid=1&pid=194

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
They've discussed vitamin D quite a lot.

It was in a Science or Fiction in this episode: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/archive/podcastinfo.aspx?mid=1&pid=194

That was a negative report about vitamin D, but wasn't there also a report about vitamin D deficiency among pale skinned temperate climate folks (like UK and a lot of America) having bone problems in older age because people don't get out in the sun much, recommending supplements (since of course deliberate exposure to lots of sunlight has other health issues)?

Surely the report in the SoF question should say there is a danger to people with autoimmune diseases to having too much vitamin D, irrespective of the source? And of course in this case it only applies to people with autoimmune diseases, which isn't most of us. It could even be interpreted as saying vitamin D improves the immune system, which for most of us is a good thing.

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 03:33:21 PM »
It isn't brain surgery:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/THNPmhBl-8I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/THNPmhBl-8I</a>
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:08:51 PM by mddawson »
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
Thanks fir the podcast!
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Diagoras

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
So I listened to this episode yesterday during a long drive. Today, I'm listening to it again, and as I listen I'm instantly reminded of where I was along the drive. "Oh, when Steve said that I was at the red light waiting to turn." ... "This is the point where I was driving by that big lake." ... "Here's when I finally made it back to town." Funny how our brains work, eh?
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.” —Carl Sagan