Author Topic: My audiobook playlist  (Read 4128 times)

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
My audiobook playlist
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
I thought it would be fun to keep a fairly up-to-date record of what's in my active playlist.

Right now I've got the following:

1) Dark Tower III The Drawing of the Three (Stephen King - I've never read it)
2) Pandora's Star (first Commonwealth book by Peter Hamilton - I've read it but not listened to it.  Got the second one on sale for 5 bucks, so I spent a credit on the first one)
3) My "credits aren't coming in for a few days" time filler, An Outline of History (HG Wells - I've read it a couple of times and listened to it once before)

I've got a few other unread titles in my library that aren't in my phone yet.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Stovetop32

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: My audiobook playlist
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »
Ohh man, been meaning to start the Commonwealth books for a while.

Let me know what you think!

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
I read them already, and I listened to the second set of Commonwealth ones (the Void ones) with the same narrator, so I'm sure they will be great.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
I read them already, and I listened to the second set of Commonwealth ones (the Void ones) with the same narrator, so I'm sure they will be great.

Is the "lady"
(click to show/hide)
?

I never figured that out for sure.

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
I think so, but I'm not 100% either.  Couldn't think of anyone else it could be.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
Loving The Drawing of the Three so far.  Just met #2.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »
Finished The Drawing of the Three.  Loved it - it was better than the first one, and I'm looking forward to the next one next month.

Started up Pandor's Star, which as I said I have read before but not listened to.  Enjoying it, as I expected.

I definitely find that I get something different out of a book listening vs. reading.  I really noticed it with the Wheel of Time books, where when I first read them I found the female characters aggravating carbon copies of each other, but when listening I found them to be a lot less annoying and a lot more individual/distinguishable.

However, I tend to remember details longer after reading than listening.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: bathing in male tears
    • The Artful Scientist (portfolio)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »
The Drawing of the Three is probably my favorite Dark Tower book.

Does any one else use the Audible app for their Android? I find it actually better to use for my audiobooks than iTunes. A lot simpler, anyway. I suspect that when I finally get my laptop, and access to a version of iTunes from this decade, I'll continue to use the Audible app.

As far as my playlist goes, I just finished I Shall Wear Midnight (Pratchett), and have two novels from a series I've taken some slight interest in queued up. My interest is slightly waning, but I'll probably pick up the series again eventually. It's the Tales of the Otori series from Lian Hearn. Part historical fiction, part fantasy. Pretty well written, and the voice actors (which are so incredibly important in audiobooks) are good. Not exceptional, but they (there are two) give good/accurate voices to the main characters.

My Wish List is 40+ books strong. *sigh*

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
Currently listening to George RR Martin's Dreamsongs.
Several narrators, all good, some great.

Chapter intros by the author, great insight into the man behind the iron throne.

My favourite short is "The Way of Cross and Dragon".

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »

Does any one else use the Audible app for their Android? I find it actually better to use for my audiobooks than iTunes. A lot simpler, anyway. I suspect that when I finally get my laptop, and access to a version of iTunes from this decade, I'll continue to use the Audible app.

Looking forward to the next Dark Tower book next week.

Still plugging away on Pandora's Star (it's 5 parts, 7+ hours each).

I use the Audible app for Blackberry.  It's got highs and lows.  It's really good about remembering where you are even after things like software updates and hard reboots, but it's a pain to rewind/fast forward, and occasionally it will have a brain fart and skip back to where you last started (and you have to clunk through the fast forward until you find where you were).

iTunes can kiss my ass.  I'm the last person on the planet who hates iTunes and won't use it for any purpose.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »

Looking forward to the next Dark Tower book next week.

Still plugging away on Pandora's Star (it's 5 parts, 7+ hours each).

I use the Audible app for Blackberry.  It's got highs and lows.  It's really good about remembering where you are even after things like software updates and hard reboots, but it's a pain to rewind/fast forward, and occasionally it will have a brain fart and skip back to where you last started (and you have to clunk through the fast forward until you find where you were).

iTunes can kiss my ass.  I'm the last person on the planet who hates iTunes and won't use it for any purpose.
It's good for podcasts. And I can't stand the playback on my Android - they chop off the first second or so and that makes a song sound different. It's dumb, and I don't like it. :(

But I also like having one device for music and podcasts and one for audiobooks. Keeps things organized.

Rillon's Law
"

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
Finished Pandora's Star and jumped straight into Judas Unchained.

For some reason they switched from Bradley Johansen to Bradley Yohansen.  lol
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
Finished Pandora's Star and jumped straight into Judas Unchained.

For some reason they switched from Bradley Johansen to Bradley Yohansen.  lol
I've noticed that in some series - not often enough to annoy me, but sometimes it takes a while to figure out who they're talking about. I think it happens in the WoT series, but can't be sure. I've listened to most of the audiobooks, but have also read a few of them. I started by listening, and didn't know who this Siuan character was, because I wouldn't have pronounced it "Swan" in my head. :P

Great, now I'm wondering how long it would take for me to read through all the WoT books. THEY'RE SO LONG. And often tedious.

Rillon's Law
"

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
I actually prefer the audiobooks for Wheel of Time to the word books. Definitely for the last few Jordan ones (I'm a Sanderson fanboy so I find his style more enjoyable to read).

I even asked an interesting question of the narrators once about choices in the direction and got a cool response.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
I actually prefer the audiobooks for Wheel of Time to the word books. Definitely for the last few Jordan ones (I'm a Sanderson fanboy so I find his style more enjoyable to read).

I even asked an interesting question of the narrators once about choices in the direction and got a cool response.
I absolutely love the readings of the WoT books. The narrators add a lot to the books. I don't if I could actually read them all, but if I did, I'd be thinking the entire time "Those narrators could do a lot better."

Rillon's Law
"