Poll

Is Conservapedia genuinely this comically wrong?

Yes.
33 (78.6%)
No.
2 (4.8%)
Undecided (leaning yes).
4 (9.5%)
Undecided (leaning no).
2 (4.8%)
Completely neutral.
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Is Conservapedia for real or a joke that’s taken on a life of its own?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
This is not the first time I’ve considered this; indeed it seems like with every new article I read of theirs I’m asking this question as the perfectly plausible insanity tends to mix flawlessly with the unbelievable insanity that appears to far off base to believe is an honestly held opinion or belief.  Without further ado, I present to you all the latest evidence for it being a hoax:

Quote from: Conservapedia
Circular Reasoning

Circular reasoning is a form of proof by assertion, often used by Atheists and evolutionists in which one uses a conclusion of an argument as a premise to that same argument, that is, ending where it began. This is also known as petitio principii or begging the question.

It is considered invalid and therefore is not permitted by the rules of formal logic.
Examples:
- Atheists use circular logic to "disprove" the existence of God. That is, they presuppose that God does not exist and then argue that all proofs for the existence of God must be flawed because He does not exist. Christians can use presuppositional apologetics to break the circle of the atheists' circular reasoning.
- Muslims also use circular logic to defend the Qur'an. They argue that the Qur'an is true because it is the Word of Allah, that it is the Word of Allah because it says so, and that we can rely on it because it is true. This is completely different from why the Bible is true.
- Evolutionists will claim that a fossil is millions of years old because that is the date given by radiometric dating; then state that it is reliable because they "know" that the fossil is millions of years old due to the strata in which it was found; additionally because the radiometric dating methods agree with each other, and date correctly materials which were historically dated by humans.

The atheist example is obviously based on the Christian caricature of what an atheist is (not that people like they describe don’t exist, but they are not the majority by any stretch), the Muslim one seems like a joke as the link to presuppositional apologetics (which they say is the reason Christian can claim truth) literally is saying that Christianity is correct because it’s the only worldview with Jesus as the divine savior in it, and the Evolutionist one doesn’t even look like an actual example of supposed circular logic; it looks like a reasonable, albeit simple explanation of why scientists can date fossils with relative accuracy.

I just find it hard to believe that they can be so comically wrong so consistently and be genuine.  What do you all think?  Any other good examples of possible Poes in Conservapedia?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 03:05:16 PM by Eternally Learning »

Offline Natalie_B

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Is Conservapedia for real or a joke that’s taken on a life of its own?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
This is completely different from why the Bible is true.

GENUINE. LOL.

So hard.

I bet there are probably some vandals who are having a bit of fun with it, but Schlafy was already enough of a lunatic to generate sufficient humour. I say real.
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"

-Oscar Wilde

Glossary of transgender terms, and list of inappropriate ones

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
I just find it hard to believe that they can be so comically wrong so consistently and be genuine.  What do you all think?  Any other good examples of possible Poes in Conservapedia?

Conservapedia's main editor is a pervy cultist who permabans people for not liking "My Neighbor Totoro."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservapedia:Ed_Poor

http://cpmonitor.wordpress.com/category/ed-poor/

http://cpmonitor.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/how-not-to-run-a-wiki-by-user188/

http://www.cornswalled.com/2011/02/vanity-of-ed-poor.html

http://www.cornswalled.com/2011/02/moonies-on-conservapedia.html

http://www.cornswalled.com/2011/02/have-you-been-banned-by-ed-poor.html

http://www.cornswalled.com/2011/02/banned-for-life-by-conservapedia.html

Ed Poor and people like him simply do not engage in the level of self-analysis needed to understand just how absurd they look and sound to an objective observer.

Offline Natalie_B

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
To be fair, I'd ban anyone who hated that movie too.

-Oscar Wilde

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
To be fair, I'd ban anyone who hated that movie too.

My son has a stuffed Totoro he keeps in his bedroom. I have one on my thumbdrive. My son has repeatedly expressed sympathy for the Totoro on my thumb drive as it has lost an eye. It's odd that he likes Totoro so much, as he's only seen the first 20 minutes or so of the movie. He keeps getting scared by the dust sprites and the moment when we first see the snoring Totoro.

The movie really is something of an ideal dream for both parents and children. It's hard to argue with the allure of a spirit guardian who protects your children and keeps them entertained and safe.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • We never have time, time has us.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
I have never heard of any indication that it might be a Poe. Its self-satire powers are weapons-grade, however.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Natalie_B

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »

My son has a stuffed Totoro he keeps in his bedroom. I have one on my thumbdrive.

I have one too. It sits on my dresser, along with my moogle, velociraptor, border collie, Batman, Dr. Strange, the 11th Doctor, Cyndi Lauper (in Barbie form), all five ponies from "Friendship is Magic", the cast of Final Fantasy 12 (in chibi form), Princess Peach, Toad, a wind-up grim reaper, a photo portrait of my family, two candles, my hormones and inhalers, a little ceramic arctic fox, a jar full of pennies and a really creepy "found art" mangled clay sculpture of a human torso.

-Oscar Wilde

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »

My son has a stuffed Totoro he keeps in his bedroom. I have one on my thumbdrive.

I have one too. It sits on my dresser, along with my moogle, velociraptor, border collie, Batman, Dr. Strange, the 11th Doctor, Cyndi Lauper (in Barbie form), all five ponies from "Friendship is Magic", the cast of Final Fantasy 12 (in chibi form), Princess Peach, Toad, a wind-up grim reaper, a photo portrait of my family, two candles, my hormones and inhalers, a little ceramic arctic fox, a jar full of pennies and a really creepy "found art" mangled clay sculpture of a human torso.

Are we related? My first thought after reading that was "That sounds like what I would have on my dresser if I were 10 years younger and a girl." Then I checked your forum profile and saw you are about 8 years younger than I am.

Cyndi Lauper is, of course, timeless.

My son's stuffed Totoro originally came with a small package in it's paws, the bundle of seeds tied with a dragon whisker, but I had to remove it as he was VERY young when he received it and likely to try and eat it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:19:24 PM by Halleyscomet/Wakefield »

Offline Natalie_B

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »
I think it's just generic geekiness?

But I guess some of it's kind of specific... why Dr. Strange? because he's my favourite superhero! Why the Doctor? Because he's my favourite sci-fi hero! And I'm not really a big anime or Japanese-stuff fan, I just love Totoro and Final Fantasy.

I did have a hell of a time picking whether to get the Cyndi Lauper Barbie, Debbie Harry or Joan Jett.

They were in the "Ladies of the 80s" line from last year. It came out right around the same time they did the Twilight Barbies. It's sort of funny in that all the 80s popstar ones are already becoming collectible, whereas the Twlight ones (all except for Victoria, anyway...she had a nice outfit) are still just collecting dust on the "Sale" shelves of pharmacies and discount grocery stores.

Important question:

What do you have on your dresser?

And you know us girls don't have to have all the fun with ponies and dolls. ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:38:54 PM by Natalie_B »

-Oscar Wilde

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »
I have the Joan Jett Barbie.

And I am old enough to be your (extremely young and attractive) mother.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?" some dude on a dating site

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »
maybe some of it is blatantly apologetics to further convince those who already wrongly believe something, but it's certainly based on very common perspectives of the uneducated.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline Natalie_B

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
Why is everyone looking up my age all of a sudden?  :P

-Oscar Wilde

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
HC/W had a reasonable reason, and I was just curiously following his lead, especially since you and I have dollies from the same line.  Incidentally, Joan is not on my dresser.  She's in my office.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?" some dude on a dating site

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
We love Totoro in this house.

OT: Saw a sign today at Chick fil Lay for giving shoe boxes filled with goodies for kids in impoverished countries.  This was through a local church but obviously supported by the franchise since they gave them space to set up.  On the list of things not to include in the box were: razors, lotion, food, Harry Potter, Pokemon.  :laugh:
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
Well, I heard if you rearrange the letter in Pikachu and change most of the letters and ignore two of them, it actually spells Satan.