Author Topic: L & R Channels through one Ear Bud.  (Read 859 times)

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
L & R Channels through one Ear Bud.
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:35:29 PM »
Single Ear Earphones

The sound quality that one bud can produce is amazing, both L & R through 1 ear piece, with no loss of quality. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
Re: L & R Channels through one Ear Bud.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:58:09 AM »
So is this just basically converting it to mono or are there actually two separate drivers?
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:31:13 AM »
So is this just basically converting it to mono or are there actually two separate drivers?

As far as I can tell it just converts it to mono.

First one I looked at has no mention of a second driver, just "Earphone produces sound from two openings; the rubber eartip delivers high frequency sound like a tweeter and the face of the Earbud acts like a woofer delivering realistic bass for the lower frequencies" - which has nothing to do with mono or stereo.

I dont see the appeal. Theres no reason why there should be a loss of quality directing the signal to one ear instead of two, except for the loss of isolation, which is inherent to the lack of the second earpiece and so isnt going to be fixed by inventive single earpiece design.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
The appeal is great for people like me that work in an office all day.  I am on a headset almost all day working with technicians.  I usually listen to music as well.  The earbud plays both L & R. channels through the one.  The sound is excellent for such a small device. 

I posted it for other people in a similar situation. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline James

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »
I don't think its as simple as just converting it to mono because if you look at the plug it has all three input signals, so the speaker is getting separate L and R signals.  Of course, these wires might be spliced together between the plug & speaker and then its back to mono.

Its hard to say but a standard mono plug just has the two contacts and this one has three, don't see why they'd bother with a stereo plug and third wire if only to splice together later
Faith is not a useful tool for discerning truth- Matt Dilahunty

"Christianity-That's messed up!" - Denise

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »
Its hard to say but a standard mono plug just has the two contacts and this one has three, don't see why they'd bother with a stereo plug and third wire if only to splice together later

Money. If you can convince people your product features exclusive technology it's easier to charge them a little more for it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:33:39 AM by Green Ideas »
"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline James

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:38:42 AM »
Ya, I thought of that, I mean how much can one little extra wire cost them anyway?  But if it all goes to only one speaker, wouldn't the left&right be fused together resulting in mono sound?  Unless there's an IC  somewhere to breakup the sound-i doubt it.

Faith is not a useful tool for discerning truth- Matt Dilahunty

"Christianity-That's messed up!" - Denise

Offline Scoot Meevo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
These would be cool for my stepdad as he's deaf in his left ear.

Be sure too check out the high-end earphone models that are MP3 player, iPod and iPhone compatible to listen to music

What? don't the cheap ones use a jack plug? XD

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
I don't think its as simple as just converting it to mono because if you look at the plug it has all three input signals, so the speaker is getting separate L and R signals

...my cheap monitoring-style headphones have a 'mono/stereo' switch on the cord along with the volume wheel... it's that easy.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:07 AM »

Be sure too check out the high-end earphone models that are MP3 player, iPod and iPhone compatible to listen to music

a 3.5mm? (is that not what you Imperial bastards call it?)
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline Scoot Meevo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »

a 3.5mm? (is that not what you Imperial bastards call it?)

Yup, but they come in 3 different sizes. (and we're currently trying to get away from those 'Imperial' bastards! (well some of us anyway))

personate-rain