Author Topic: SGU Forumvision?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Observer of Phenomena
    • arthwollipot.com
SGU Forumvision?
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »
Over at some other place I won't mention, there is a game that is currently in the middle of its third incarnation. It's based on the Eurovision Song Contest, and it works like this:

There are twelve players and one moderator. In each round, all of the players submit a song (via YouTube) to the moderator, who shuffles and anonymises them and presents them back to the players for voting.

Players give each of the songs submitted by the other players one of the following scores: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12. They don't score their own submission. You can't give two songs the same score - you have to give one song 12 and one song 0, even if you hate (or love) everything in the round. Traditionally, the players also provide short comments on the entries, and sometimes guess at who submitted what. The one who scores the most total points is the "winner" of that round - though they don't actually win anything except bragging rights. The game runs for twelve rounds. (There is also a bonus round, where each player submits a song chosen specifically for each other player. The moderator sends to each player all the songs submitted for them, and they are scored as usual.)

Scores are submitted to the moderator rather than posted in the thread. The moderator compiles and posts them all at the same time to avoid favouritism and OMGUS voting. Over at that other place we also have someone who is better with numbers than I am who does all sorts of fun statistical stuff with the scores.

Is there anyone here would might be interested in a game like this? At the other place, games tend to run for a long time - Forumvision 2 lasted for over a year realtime due to peoples' schedules and delays in rating and submitting - so it's a bit of a commitment. However, it's a great way to discover new music, and it's always fun engaging in snarky banter about other players' clearly inferior musical tastes.

I would obviously be the moderator for the first round (unless someone else wants to volunteer). How about it? Interested?
Do or do not. There is no spoon.

Only Zuul.

Offline petrolpetal

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
Re: SGU Forumvision?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
sounds fun. So do we wait for 11 others to 'sign up'' ? and then PMessage you the youtube link ?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »
Is this still on or are we still waiting for shadow?
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline PANTS!

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
I think it's dead.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful.  Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful. - TMBG

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand  - Vonnegut

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
    • Anomalina
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:59 PM »
What AQB described sounded pretty fun (aside from the foot-dragging toward the end), and I have tons of obscure awesome songs to drop on you. Like we all do, eh?  8)

If ya'll start it back up, I'll join in.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline PANTS!

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
I'd be up for another round.  Especially since I won the last one.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful.  Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful. - TMBG

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand  - Vonnegut

Offline petrolpetal

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • seemingly friendly but aloof...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »
Me too. It was fun.I can't believe we lost all that music. I always meant to get round to making a note of all the music I wanted to follow up on,but never did!

Offline unixTechie

• Frequent Poster
  • I don't do windoze.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »
I'd like to join in this time, if there's room.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
I'd like to play again.  Do you think you could stand it, arthwollipot?

Me too. It was fun.I can't believe we lost all that music. I always meant to get round to making a note of all the music I wanted to follow up on,but never did!

I added things to my iTunes wish list every round.  Except that last round.  It stunk.  Except for my entry, of course.

What AQB described sounded pretty fun (aside from the foot-dragging toward the end), and I have tons of obscure awesome songs to drop on you. Like we all do, eh?  8)

If ya'll start it back up, I'll join in.

I know you're just in for the smack-talking.  8)
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?"

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:33:13 AM »
I'd be up for another round.  Especially since I won the last one.
uhmmm

No.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"