Author Topic: SGU 5x5 #109  (Read 444 times)

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
SGU 5x5 #109
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »
Celebrity Pseudoscience
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline AngleWyrm

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: SGU 5x5 #109
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
"By your command." ~ Sharon Valerii

It is a problem of famous and important people, that specializing in fame/importance seems to be mutually exclusive with detailed understanding and knowledge of other fields of human endeavor. Sadly, there is the impetus to contribute, often run afoul of shallow understanding. And yet these people are the ones with the resources and following to make modifications.

It reminds me of the tragedy of a dumb Cambodian farmer (Pol Pot) who became dictator and decided to abolish all cities, a Back-To-Nature protocol that resulted in the deaths by starvation and execution of 1/5 of the nation's population.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:10:28 PM by AngleWyrm »

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
Re: SGU 5x5 #109
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
"By your command." ~ Sharon Valerii

It is a problem of famous and important people, that specializing in fame/importance seems to be mutually exclusive with detailed understanding and knowledge of other fields of human endeavor. Sadly, there is the impetus to contribute, often run afoul of shallow understanding. And yet these people are the ones with the resources and following to make modifications.

It reminds me of the tragedy of a dumb Cambodian farmer (Pol Pot) who became dictator and decided to abolish all cities, a Back-To-Nature protocol that resulted in the deaths by starvation and execution of 1/5 of the nation's population.

I think it may be selection bias to think all celebs are airheads only concerned with fame. We don't notice those who either keep their mouths shut about things they don't understand or who actually make a positive contribution to science or engineering. An example of the latter is of course Hedy Lamarr, who jointly invented some of the radio communication techniques we use in things like Wifi and Bluetooth today.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

personate-rain