Author Topic: This american life  (Read 557 times)

Offline jonnybdead

• Off to a Start
  • No Conservapedia is not a credible source....
This american life
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:39:40 AM »
I have started listening to this american life. It is amazing.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: This american life
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:54:16 AM »
I give it another chance every year or so.  Without fail though, every third or fourth episode becomes a political piece clearly put together to push a position rather than explore an issue.  Also Ira Glass has an annoying as fuck voice.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:20 AM »
I almost invariably enjoy "This American Life" when I hear it on the radio, but I've never gotten sufficiently into it to subscribe to its podcast.  I did binge-watch the short-lived TV version one summer on Netflix, however.  It was interesting, but I felt it was too conscious of its own cleverness, especially since it was always only about half as clever as it seemed to think itself.

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
I subscribe to it. I have so many science and skepticism podcasts but I know I need to balance it all with something like This American Life and The Moth and Story Collider. Just to keep me grounded.

Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »
This week's episode (#565) is very moving. It is a 10-year follow-up after Katrina. I highly recommend it.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
I was "podcasting" TAL before there was an iPod or there was such a term. Back in the early 2000s NPR would stream eps from its web site. I would run a jack from the headphone port to the mic port and record each ep. Then I'd burn them to CD and bring a selection of eps with me to listen to while waiting for a flight. Eventually I bought a cheap MP3 play with 64 MB of memory and was able to get three or four eps on my MP3 player.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows