Author Topic: Is Skeptiko dead?  (Read 77118 times)

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
Is Skeptiko dead?
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:52:04 PM »
In the last episode, Tsakiris said that the 'cast would be going out every two weeks instead of weekly. However it's not looking good for Skeptiko - iTunes can't load the podcast feed any more, and the home page is throwing a 404.

I hope this isn't just a server glitch...
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline moneyman1490

• Seasoned Contributor
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
Fine, I admit it.  I used the Laws of Attraction to bring the server down.  Fortunately, I will also uset the LOA to make you all think you never read this post!  
kidoo, in response to CapeRoadie's threat of Libel
Quote from: "skidoo"
Your documented evasiveness and dishonesty leads me to no other conclusion: You're a dangerous quack. How's that for a retraction?

Put up or shut up!!!

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
I spoke too soon. The site's back up again. Damn. :evil:

No sign of a new episode yet, though. I can still hope.
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
masochist

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »
sadist
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
It is displaying the symptoms of a podcast circling the drain. Weekly then weakly.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Grayven

• Seasoned Contributor
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »
I lost interest in Skeptico after the shameful backstabbing Dr Lester interview. Alex's tactic of interrupting with his little sermons struck me as somewhat unethical.
They're all crazy. A few are highly functional, nothing more.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »
Quote from: "Grayven"
I lost interest in Skeptico after the shameful backstabbing Dr Lester interview. Alex's tactic of interrupting with his little sermons struck me as somewhat unethical.

Yeah Alex stopping the tape to lecture us on what science really is... gawd. This is from a guy who refuses to document his claims. ("Hardcore skeptics fear paranormal research will over turn science as we know it.")

Korean Podcast

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 09:11:32 PM »
Off topic a bit:

I believe Mindme brought this up on another thread that the dedication of the SGU crew is simply astounding.  I don't know of any other podcast that is as faithful and consistent as SGU. (No.  I'm not looking for a free t-shirt, or tour of the Novella secret compound and world HQ if there is one.) All my other podcast are at best abut 80 or 85 percent on schedule.  The only other one that might give SGU a run for its money is Point of Inquiry.  I know of no other 'independent' production that is as faithful.  

Truly, the dedication of Dr. Novella and crew is something I know I take for granted.    I think this a big reason the podcast keeps going from strength to strength.  

A friend and I thought about doing a podcast on pop culture and/or news items.  We did two pilots.  It was a real bitch.  We both decided we could never keep it up for more than a few months.  So we scrapped it.

Offline Grayven

• Seasoned Contributor
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »
Ditto.

I haven't listened to every episode yet, but I'm fairly certain Dr Novella  would never mistreat even the most idiotic guest the way Alex did Dr Lester.
They're all crazy. A few are highly functional, nothing more.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 03:46:50 AM »
Quote from: "Nigel"
Off topic a bit:

I believe Mindme brought this up on another thread that the dedication of the SGU crew is simply astounding.  I don't know of any other podcast that is as faithful and consistent as SGU. (No.  I'm not looking for a free t-shirt, or tour of the Novella secret compound and world HQ if there is one.) All my other podcast are at best abut 80 or 85 percent on schedule.  The only other one that might give SGU a run for its money is Point of Inquiry.  I know of no other 'independent' production that is as faithful.  

They've been very on time for the last year. The first bit it was plus/minus a day or two. And I don't think they've actually missed a single week. I remember once the SGUrus were on vacation and Dr. N just answered email questions. That was a pretty good show.

Korean Podcast

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 03:52:18 AM »
Quote from: "mindme"
Off topic a bit:

They've been very on time for the last year. The first bit it was plus/minus a day or two. And I don't think they've actually missed a single week. I remember once the SGUrus were on vacation and Dr. N just answered email questions. That was a pretty good show.

Yeah that was. It'd be interesting to see that from a few other cast members to. A whole perry episode, or a whole evan episode would be interesting too.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 06:35:12 AM »
Quote from: "mindme"
Off topic a bit:

Well they do always take off a few weeks during Christmas time.  Can't blame em in the least though.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip23
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »
Tsakiris is a fuckwad.

[Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself, but I'm in one of those "idiots just PISS ME OFF" phases. Help me!  If I had an X chromosome, I'd say I need some Midol or something. :)]

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
Quote from: "skidoo"
Tsakiris is a fuckwad.

[Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself, but I'm in one of those "idiots just PISS ME OFF" phases. Help me!  If I had an X chromosome, I'd say I need some Midol or something. :)]

You wanna change it? I've been in that phase for as long as I can remember, and it don't bother me none.