Author Topic: Is Skeptiko dead?  (Read 57146 times)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #1200 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
I'm too young and pretty

Do I need to post that photoshop of you as a blonde again?
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline astrostu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1201 on: March 23, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
I'm too young and pretty

Do I need to post that photoshop of you as a blonde again?
Let's not go there.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1202 on: March 23, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
I would hate to have Coyne as an intellectual nemesis.

I meant astrostu.

I'm too young and pretty to have so many nemeses.

oh, no, you don't have a nemesis--you are one! :)
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline astrostu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1203 on: June 12, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
Anyone listen to #172?  Talk about a cluster-f--k with mutual ma----b-tion.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #1204 on: June 13, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »

I misremembered what you wrote here and downloaded 174.  I'll listen to 172 later, but in the meantime... damn.  Why is it that no NDE experts seem to be able to separate recognizing that something is happening to these people from recognizing that what they say is happening is happening.  I don't think a single skeptic of NDEs would assert that people who experience them are lying or aren't really experiencing anything.

Offline astrostu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1205 on: June 13, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »

I misremembered what you wrote here and downloaded 174.  I'll listen to 172 later, but in the meantime... damn.  Why is it that no NDE experts seem to be able to separate recognizing that something is happening to these people from recognizing that what they say is happening is happening.  I don't think a single skeptic of NDEs would assert that people who experience them are lying or aren't really experiencing anything.

Same with the when the event occurred.  There is no evidence that what they remember as happening "when they were dead" didn't happen after they were revived before they were questioned.  Heck - I can't remember if it was yesterday or the day before that I had chicken for dinner, how am I going to be able to say something happened with the temporal precision of minutes or hours when my brain is even more effed up?

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #1206 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
So, still in the middle of listening to 172, but now I'm glad I accidentally listened to 174 as there's a remarkable contradiction between the two.  In 172, Alex is interviewing a pediatrician (an M.D.) about his scientific research into NDEs/OBEs.  He constantly praises him for being better than the so-called skeptics (us) and on how rigorous his research was.  In 174 Moody and he dismiss skeptics such as Neurologists and Neurosurgeons for not knowing science enough based on the fact that they have only and M.D. which does not make one a scientists.

So on the one hand, neurologists cannot comment on a matter of the mind/brain (depending on your POV), but on the other a pediatrician is better suited to comment on the same thing because he has "common sense."  Do you get the feeling that perhaps it's the results that makes people's work seem rigorous or faulty to Alex?

Offline astrostu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1207 on: June 13, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
Do you get the feeling that perhaps it's the results that makes people's work seem rigorous or faulty to Alex?
Duh.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #1208 on: June 13, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
Ok, couldn't stomach the whole thing as they just began repeating themselves after a while.  My take from the whole thing goes something like this:

"I consider myself a true skeptic as in I am openly inquisitive.  I also don't understand why we all cannot just take patient testimonies about supernatural experiences at face value without questioning whether they accurately reflect reality."

Most reasonable people have the same amazed reaction the first time they hear NDE testimonies as they are usually powerfully compelling due to the fact that the experiencers truly believe what they are saying and what they are saying is astounding.  It's the skeptical part of us that prompts us to keep those emotional responses in check with what we can objectively discern. 

For me, this whole thing boils down to one, incredibly simple fact:  Whatever shortfalls in explanation for these experiences the 'materialist paradigm' there are, any other paradigm falls infinitely shorter.  The material world is one which most would not deny actually exists (regardless of how much or little they think it impacts our world) or that it explains the vast majority of what we perceive about the world.  Every other paradigm has yet to be proven and to appeal to them as if they are established beyond philosophical wonderings is presumptuous. 

In the case of NDEs, one thing they appeal to a lot is the fact that the brain is incapable of recording memories when these memories are said to be formed.  In other-words they are saying that there is either a second method for forming memories apart from the brain, or that in reality the brain is not what stores memory at all.  The latter would, I think, be a minority view as plenty of science shows a definite link between our brains and our memories so I'll just address the former by saying that until they can propose an actual mechanism for this method of memory storage any appeal to the supernatural to explain it is no better than a materialist's appeal to as-yet-undiscovered mechanism for everything that happens during and NDE.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Well Established
« Reply #1209 on: June 14, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »
From your report, it really seems like they're droning on and on about the same old things.

It was getting kinda boring, tedious and frustrating a while back, when I gave up on it.

Sounds like I made the right decision.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #1210 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  He used to cover a wide array of topics, but now he has really settled down on NDEs as his main thing.  I can take listening to views I don't share, but give ua so damn variety.

Offline astrostu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1211 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »
Long time no posts?  Alex came out with a new interview today, an actual quantum physicist.  Listening to this guy saying that when he listens to people talk about E&M makes him feel embarrassing was embarrassing for me.  This is a clear case where he "knows too much" (as opposed to Alex knowing too little about QM) and sees everything in a QM manner and refuses to believe in the classical physics approximation at the macro scale.  Needing to understand virtual particles and electrons to reed an EEG?  Doctors not knowing anything about brain activity because of quantum mechanics?  Sigh.

Offline Mr Scumbag

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1212 on: August 28, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
The latest ep with the Thinking Atheist is a hoot. The discussion itself is what you would expect, but Alex's post-show monologue is what is really interesting.

He attempts to use semantics and word play to say that neuroplasticity disproves materialism. Then his smug, childish rant about his guest ties it all into a nice, neat, crazy little bow.

It's a must-listen for anyone interested in hearing Alex show his true colours, and it's a picture perfect example of why no skeptic or atheist should ever consider appearing on his show.

Offline mindme

• Dapper Gent
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1213 on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:18 AM »
Still dead!
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Swagomatic

• Well Established
« Reply #1214 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
I quit this thread a while back, but now, since the forum debacle, I seem to be re-subscribed.  Maybe I'll listen to an episode and see if Alex is growing more confused.  ::)
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

personate-rain