Author Topic: Is Skeptiko dead?  (Read 76566 times)

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip23
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »
Haven't seen Dean Cameron around here for a while.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 12:47:15 PM »
He's probably off filming Summer School II, or maybe Ski School II

god I hope he's filming ski school II...

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 03:38:27 PM »
Sigh... another episode just appeared. This one's an interview with Ginger Campbell, host of The Brain Science Podcast.
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if Tsakiris will ever do an episode dealing with any topic that is not related to his pet "mind apart from the brain" belief, you know, just to try to pretend that he's actually concerned about skeptical matters.

But I guess he doesn't even bother pretending at this point.
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »
Ten minutes in and not only is he back onto NDEs but spouting yet again about the Pam Reynolds case. Campbell at this point seems to be talking sense but we'll see how that goes...

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
I downloaded all of Campbell's podcasts but haven't gotten around to listening to them yet. They seem to cover really interesting topics.

Offline Grayven

• Seasoned Contributor
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:51 AM »
I read, somewhere, a theory that all people go through the 'stages of death' . Sounds like BS to me. But basically everyone goes through denial, anger, bargaining, acceptance. Whatever.

Chime in when Alex gets to anger. The podcasts could get a lot more exciting.
They're all crazy. A few are highly functional, nothing more.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip23
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 09:09:48 AM »
Quote from: "Grayven"
I read, somewhere, a theory that all people go through the 'stages of death' . Sounds like BS to me. But basically everyone goes through denial, anger, bargaining, acceptance. Whatever.

Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross.

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »

The last couple of episodes have seen Tsakiris apparently getting irritated with his guests. In this one he got a little argumentative with Campbell - like she's stupid for not seeing things from his deluded viewpoint. I think it's only a matter of time before he blows his cool with a guest.

Campbell for the most part spoke sense, but I did notice an apparent contradiction; at one point she says that NDEs etc. are physically based in the brain, but later she seems to be saying that maybe they're not. I need to listen to those parts again to get her exact words, because I think I must have misconstrued. Tsakiris of course jumped all over it.

Tsakiris is suffering from one huge argument-from-personal-incredulity over the whole NDE thing. He simply cannot see how the physical brain can produce internal experiences - he underestimates the power of the brain and in doing so does it and us (as humans) a huge disservice. And because he, personally, can't see it, he has to fall back on ridiculous supernatural explanations ("the brain is the receiver in a field of consciousness", for example), and try to persuade people that his view is better and must be correct.

Anyway, enough. I've been fixating on Tsakiris and his atrocious podcast way too much; I'll continue to listen but I'm not posting any more here unless I think it's of real interest. As Grayven said, when Tsakiris really loses it with a guest I'll flag that for sure - the way things are going I think it's just a matter of time.

Offline danielzig

• Off to a Start
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 05:41:47 PM »
I lost interest in Skeptico after the shameful backstabbing Dr Lester interview. Alex's tactic of interrupting with his little sermons struck me as somewhat unethical

Same here.  I also find near death experiences interesting, because I'm an atheist.  Alex made it seem like because Lester brought up his atheism, he must be biased against NDEs, when Lester hadn't said or done anything to give that impression.  Ugly, just ugly.

Offline JurijD

• Frequent Poster
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »
Quote from: "Nightspore"
... supernatural explanations ("the brain is the receiver in a field of consciousness", for example), and try to persuade people that his view is better and must be correct.

yes Alex is great at explaining an unknown with another unknown.

his podcasts are mostly devoid of real information. It's all "uuu what IF this were true... THEN ...."

I personally don't want to waste my time listening to idiotic speculations and personal sacred cows.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 08:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "JurijD"
Quote from: "Nightspore"
... supernatural explanations ("the brain is the receiver in a field of consciousness", for example), and try to persuade people that his view is better and must be correct.

yes Alex is great at explaining an unknown with another unknown.

his podcasts are mostly devoid of real information. It's all "uuu what IF this were true... THEN ...."

I personally don't want to waste my time listening to idiotic speculations and personal sacred cows.

Yeah the one with the husband/wife team was a great example. They were offering stigmata as evidence for mind/body dualism. Geez. Alex's skepticism of that which confirms his belief is rather astounding.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline JMA

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Scepticisme scientifique
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »
There is a new Skeptiko episode available. :roll:

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
  • Nobody is prepared for parenthood.
    • Secular Fatherhood
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
Christ, did you have to necro a thread made last July?
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Is Skeptiko dead?
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 06:17:21 AM »
Boy Alex's "I'm done with the skeptics" bit didn't last. I thought his podcast was from here on in going to be devoted to his psychic dog research. But it would appear he's back moaning.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain