Author Topic: Musical weakest link  (Read 617 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Musical weakest link
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »
I thought there might have already been a thread like this, but could not find it.  What bands do you think would have been so much better if it wasn’t for that guy?!   
   Recently I listened to phish “a picture of nectar”. I use to have more of a hippie streak but it’s been almost 10 years since I’ve listened anything like that on a regular basis, just got sick of the jam bands. Anyways my points musically this is a great album, lyrically it’s the stupidest thing I think I’ve ever heard. Seriously, every song would benefit from either no singer or a different singer redoing it.  It seems like because Trey is such a good guitarist everyone gives him a pass to sing. Someone should have told him no early on.  It makes me not want to listen because the words and singing are so stupid and bad. Yes there are lots of stupid lyric’s in music, Countless songs don’t make sense so I’m not sure why with phish it bothers me so much but it does. Maybe because of the smooth jazzy sound and the way it’s sung makes you expect something serous? Maybe I’m just a hatter?  What are some other bands that rock except for that one lousy no good nick that screws it up? Musical gripfest?
sig needed.

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
Re: Musical weakest link
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
The biggest one I can think of off the top of my head would be:

Iron Maiden has always had a tendency to repeat the chorus too many times in their songs; sometimes way too many.  I would say this is the weakest part of their music.

I would love Led Zepplin if Robert Plant was not the singer.  His voice is painful to me.

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »

Iron Maiden has always had a tendency to repeat the chorus too many times in their songs; sometimes way too many.  I would say this is the weakest part of their music.

I would love Led Zepplin if Robert Plant was not the singer.  His voice is painful to me.

I agree about Iron Maiden, this became a bigger problem as the band went a long and I think the issue is that they became victims of their success. 
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. "  -Lex Luthor

Offline David E.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »

I agree about Iron Maiden, this became a bigger problem as the band went a long and I think the issue is that they became victims of their success.

Yep, their last CD was unlistenable though.   The best song they have come out with in their whole career was Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, which has a very short chorus. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Guns N' Roses.  Axl Rose.  Guy's voice makes me want to shoot myself but I loved the band in spite of it. Still... damn his voice was annoying...

Offline David E.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »
On a more general level.  When outros for songs are absurdly long, just end the damn song!

Auto Tune replacing talent needs to die.  It's a neat tool when a real musician uses it for effect, but the fact that hits are being made by talentless freaks due to AT is just bad.

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
That's a real good question.

I think Metallica would have rocked a lot more without Lars on drums.

AC/DC without Brian Johnson kind of counts, but when they had Bon Scott they were the best.

Offline David E.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
Lars is a great drummer.  He just seems to be a lousy human.

Offline Scoot Meevo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:07 PM »
Kind of lost their way nowadays but Korn had a vocalist who could easily have been improved upon. Was ok for a while but by the 4/5 records he was just annoying.

I hate Dave Mustaine's vocals for Megadeth too but you couldn't have the band without him. They should get in a decent singer though, I watched some live 'Big 4' footage and was belly-laughing at his Speedy Gonzalez impressions.

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
Kind of lost their way nowadays but Korn had a vocalist who could easily have been improved upon. Was ok for a while but by the 4/5 records he was just annoying.

I hate Dave Mustaine's vocals for Megadeth too but you couldn't have the band without him. They should get in a decent singer though, I watched some live 'Big 4' footage and was belly-laughing at his Speedy Gonzalez impressions.

Well he didn't actually try to sing until Evolver...
He's perfect on Hangar 18.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
dunno.
I mean, hypothetically, if you transplanted a guitarist I like into any of a thousand bands I might then come to like that band, but that's not what you're talking about.

I can't think of any band I like except for one thing... there just doesn't seem to be anything I've liked despite disliking something. If a vocalist kills a band, I don't manage to find anything to cling to, so it's hard to say that I'd have liked them.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »
dunno.
I mean, hypothetically, if you transplanted a guitarist I like into any of a thousand bands I might then come to like that band, but that's not what you're talking about.

I can't think of any band I like except for one thing... there just doesn't seem to be anything I've liked despite disliking something. If a vocalist kills a band, I don't manage to find anything to cling to, so it's hard to say that I'd have liked them.
+1

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »

RUSH.......Geddy Lee.

(needless to say, this is outrageous blasphemy to some of my Canadian prog rock friends)

"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »
I've heard some people don't care for the new Alice in Chains

(while others digged a lot of songs from their recent album)
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »
Lars is a great drummer.  He just seems to be a lousy human.

He's certainly excellent for what Metallica needs him for, but when you listen to the fills and and vamps and what not from other drummers (Dave Grohl on the "Probot" record for example) it becomes obvious there are some guys who do the same thing he does, but at a higher skill level.

If I were to replace anyone from Metallica it would be James on vocals.  This may seem crazy, but listen to this version of a classic song with John Bush as the singer...  I like it...

Metallica w/ John Bush - The Four Horsemen (Live in San Francisco, December 7th, 2011)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:54:26 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.