Author Topic: Musical weakest link  (Read 595 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Musical weakest link
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »
Lars is a great drummer.  He just seems to be a lousy human.

He's certainly excellent for what Metallica needs him for, but when you listen to the fills and and vamps and what not from other drummers (Dave Grohl on the "Probot" record for example) it becomes obvious there are some guys who do the same thing he does, but at a higher skill level.

If I were to replace anyone from Metallica it would be James on vocals.  This may seem crazy, but listen to this version of a classic song with John Bush as the singer...  I like it...

Metallica w/ John Bush - The Four Horsemen (Live in San Francisco, December 7th, 2011)

sounds a bit like Anthrax.
the singer is the one thing I like about Metallica.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 06:00:37 AM »
I could never see Metalica with a different singer, that would just be wrong, even more-so with Megadeth.  Their voices are what make those bands what they are.  It would be like re-writing the riffs to For Whom the Bell Tolls or Countdown to Extinction. 

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
I could never see Metalica with a different singer, that would just be wrong, even more-so with Megadeth.  Their voices are what make those bands what they are.  It would be like re-writing the riffs to For Whom the Bell Tolls or Countdown to Extinction.

On the other hand you could replace Hammet with any teen guitarist equipped with a wah and a pentatonic scale and nobody would care.

I read an interview with Joe Satriani (He taught Hammet for a while) a long time ago and he said that Kirk Hammet "could" have been a good guitarist.

personate-rain