Author Topic: Pro life peaked?  (Read 247 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Pro life peaked?
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »
Found this article from a Christian website indicate that pro-life supporters are going down. . .Maybe it has peaked?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/americans-more-pro-choice-but-morally-against-abortion-50424/

Interesting spin
The poll seems to suggest that Americans are buying into abortion provider Planned Parenthood’s supposed mission of empowering women, men and teens through reproductive and sexual health services.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
    • Fetlife
Re: Pro life peaked?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »

Interesting spin
The poll seems to suggest that Americans are buying into abortion provider Planned Parenthood’s supposed mission of empowering women, men and teens through reproductive and sexual health services.

Supposed mission?  That was their mission, and yes, they are succeeding.  Thanks for noticing!
http://www.facebook.com/Auzauviir  <-- Play Scrabble with me!

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline seamas

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »
I think the issue of abortion is one that will be around for a long time- popularity of "pro life" will have many peaks and valleys for the forseable future.

I am pro-choice, but I do have several reservations about certain applications of abortion.

I think the crucial element involves frank and very comprehensive sexual education for all pre-adolescents and well as comprehensive education and availability of contrasception.

And the "next day pill" is NOT an abortion pill, and should never be described as such by any news agency.

I think any blanket law forbidding abortions--even late term--without consideration of the mother's health should be fought strenuously.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
I think the vast majority of people can agree that we want to reduce abortions. I for one want them to be rare because I want unwanted pregnancy to be rare.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Old Earth Accretionist

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Geology Rocks!
    • Old Earth Accretionist
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »
Nice spin indeed  ::)

Honestly I think the pro-life and anti-contraception crowd are truly in the process of peaking give us another generation or two and I think we will see a lot of change in that sphere... particularly as a lot of kids who went through abstinance only education will have seen how well that worked (i.e. not at all).

But holy crap!  That website has some absolutely terrible articles.... I can't even... it's just....   :wth:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/kathy-keller-submission-doesnt-mean-you-do-everything-the-husband-says-69624/
She explained that it is also the husband's duty to facilitate submission and fulfill the role of the authority figure in the marriage. Jesus redefined what authority meant, and offered himself as a sacrifice, so if a man is imitating that role in the marriage then the woman's gift to the man is her submission.
“He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts for support rather than illumination.”
Andrew Lang

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
If your gift to me is submission, I like it with thigh high leather boots and a dog collar.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »

Supposed mission?  That was their mission, and yes, they are succeeding.  Thanks for noticing!
My general rule of thumb is that if the Religious Right is complaining about something, you must be doing something right.

personate-rain
personate-rain