Author Topic: Leopard seems to take care of a baby Baboon whose mother it just killed.  (Read 651 times)

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
Re: Leopard seems to take care of a baby Baboon whose mother it just killed.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »
Hey Videos like this show that the Ark was possible! :roflolmao:
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
I listened to the original video with the sound off and my thought was, "Just like a cat playing with a mouse."  I didn't see mothering instincts at all.

The lioness/antelope one seems different......since the lioness in question 'adopted' another antelope after the one in the video (and didn't eat/attack either of them)
"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
That HAD to be a message from god, no other explanation.

I think it is to show that gay sex is wrong.

Edit: Because the moral is that although unnatural relations can work for a short while, in the end they are doomed.
Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Forget not that I am an ass.

Offline James

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »
"how much of that do you figure is just anthropomorphizing"?  I wouldn't say this is a matter of anthropomorphizing at all, especially now that I've seen the video of lion/antelope, as obviously animals or mammals at least, behave in this way and its not just a characteristic of humans.

It would have been interesting to see if these adoptive mothers would have aggressively protected their 'babies' from predators in the same manner as protecting their own
Faith is not a useful tool for discerning truth- Matt Dilahunty

"Christianity-That's messed up!" - Denise

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42:25 AM »
Yes animals adopt animals cross species that is well known.  However I'm not sure that wild cats would have the same tendency as domesticated cats or as other less carnivorous species.  In the case of the lioness I'm not sure what's going on.  Could be adoption could be curiosity could be sadism. 
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »
Yeah, there's cross-species adoption and then there's a predator adopting its typical prey.  That's the part that's getting me I guess considering that usually the young are treated as easy targets along with the old and sick.

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
Yes animals adopt animals cross species that is well known.  However I'm not sure that wild cats would have the same tendency as domesticated cats or as other less carnivorous species.  In the case of the lioness I'm not sure what's going on.  Could be adoption could be curiosity could be sadism.

Considering how already malnourished that lioness looked it is just a bad idea. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »

Considering how already malnourished that lioness looked it is just a bad idea.

Which makes it even more perplexing that she didn't eat either of her 'adopted' antelopes.......

Maybe she's one of those wacko vegetarians ;)

"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline SkepticalVegan

• Well Established
    • Skeptical Vegan
Pythagorean Posse at TAM9, get ready!!!
No gods, no masters, No whey! Ⓥ
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/

personate-rain