Author Topic: Remnant Fetal Stem Cells  (Read 174 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Remnant Fetal Stem Cells
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »
I was listening to a Reasonable Doubts episode that I never got around to, one on Stem Cells

http://doubtreligion.blogspot.com/2011/01/rd-extra-stem-cell-research-update.html

The Lecturer talks about "Remnant Fetal Stem Cells" where these cells transfer from the fetus and start residing in the mother's body. I tried to do just a bit of Googling but got nothing which appears useful.

Anybody know where I can look up more?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline zandolit

• Off to a Start
Re: Remnant Fetal Stem Cells
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:27 AM »
Try looking up microchimerism.  There is some stuff on wikipedia.  Just a couple of weeks ago I went to a lecture about placentas given by a guy who works at the Centre for Trophoblast Research at Cambridge University (http://www.trophoblast.cam.ac.uk/).  Placentas are amazing!  In a completely non-woo way I hasten to add.  Anyway, it turns out that not only do these stem cells (which originate from the placenta) reside in the mother's body, but in subsequent pregnancies some of these foetal cells will make their way into the new foetus - so if you have any older siblings, you have some of their cells in your body.   The guy giving the talk also said that people originally thought that these cells were linked in some way to autoimmune disorders, because the cells would turn up in places like the thyroid in people with thyroid disorders.  The lecturer said that the current evidence seems to be pointing towards these cells have a role in tissue repair in these conditions. 

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Remnant Fetal Stem Cells
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks. . . .Term helps a lot
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll