Author Topic: Asteroid 2012 DA14 Doom watch  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: Asteroid 2012 DA14 Doom watch
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
That video is Government propaganda! Of course, it's going to hit and with the force of over 1 million joules!!! Remember, you can't spell "joules" without "jew". So who do you think is really behind this doomsday rock?
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
So if a 5 megaton H bomb trips circuit breakers 800 miles away, what effect could this have? 

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
So if a 5 megaton H bomb trips circuit breakers 800 miles away, what effect could this have?

[Citation needed.]

Meteors do generate EMP but their strength, duration, &c, are not fully known.

Online Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 04:53:05 AM »

[Citation needed.]

hmm, I think it *is* known but may well be classified research.  I'm pretty sure the various early warning systems would be set up to recognise the EMP signature of meteors to separate them from ICBM's which might do the same sort of thing if this actually happens?  And the people who work on today's over-the-horizon radars probably know a bit too.
Considering the number of various size meteors that burn up in the atmosphere, including some quite large ones, I would imagine the signals of any EMP are readily available and I doubt they are of any concern of any meteor.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

[Citation needed.]

hmm, I think it *is* known but may well be classified research.  I'm pretty sure the various early warning systems would be set up to recognise the EMP signature of meteors to separate them from ICBM's which might do the same sort of thing if this actually happens?

Does any country have an early warning system for detecting EMP? EMP is a localized event. You would need sensors located throughout the country so I don't think anybody had a system for detecting it. By the time a system detected EMP it would be too late. ICBMs should be detected before they re-enter! I would hope that early warning systems, like BMEWS and PAVE PAWS, would recognize meteors by their speed and trajectory. Meteorscan.com detects meteors using radar bouncing off the ionized meteor trail: Meteor Detection Live Feed

And the people who work on today's over-the-horizon radars probably know a bit too.
Considering the number of various size meteors that burn up in the atmosphere, including some quite large ones, I would imagine the signals of any EMP are readily available and I doubt they are of any concern of any meteor.

There are anecdotal reports of large meteors disrupting electrical systems. It's not unreasonable to assume they can generate significant EMP.

Online Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

[Citation needed.]

hmm, I think it *is* known but may well be classified research.  I'm pretty sure the various early warning systems would be set up to recognise the EMP signature of meteors to separate them from ICBM's which might do the same sort of thing if this actually happens?

Does any country have an early warning system for detecting EMP? EMP is a localized event. You would need sensors located throughout the country so I don't think anybody had a system for detecting it. By the time a system detected EMP it would be too late. ICBMs should be detected before they re-enter! I would hope that early warning systems, like BMEWS and PAVE PAWS, would recognize meteors by their speed and trajectory. Meteorscan.com detects meteors using radar bouncing off the ionized meteor trail: Meteor Detection Live Feed

And the people who work on today's over-the-horizon radars probably know a bit too.

There are anecdotal reports of large meteors disrupting electrical systems. It's not unreasonable to assume they can generate significant EMP.

What would the mechanism be if caused by a meteor? We have a  very long skinny trail of ions that is made over seconds and then...?

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
What would the mechanism be if caused by a meteor?

Heat. The primary mechanism for EMP generated by nukes is from the gamma rays.

Starfish Prime is what I believe Strudel was referring to. I couldn't find any 5 megatons tests that mentioned EMP but I knew Starfish Prime was the first EMP test. It was 1.44 megatons.

We have a  very long skinny trail of ions that is made over seconds and then...?

Dunno. The more I search, the less I find that supports meteor EMP. The Space Shuttle, 37 meters long, 24 meters wide, re-entering at 7.7 km/s, never caused any electrical power disruption on any of its 100+ flights, afaik.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »
Serial pseudoscientist predicts huge earthquake event for March 22 | Doubtful Newsblog

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Sunday, March 18, 2012

MARCH 22, 2012 EARTH AXIS WILL SHIFT FIVE INCHES WITH a NINE MAGNITUDE QUAKE EXPECTED in a PACIFIC OCEAN EVENT, WHEN EARTH PASSES THROUGH A GRAVITY TROUGH CONNECTING THE SUN AND an INBOUND HEAVY-MASS OBJECT.

Terral Croft is the same jackass who predicted dire events during the recent close asteroid passes. Now he's jumping on the 188 day earthquake cycle that recently started making the rounds. potholer54 debunked that here: http://youtu.be/sFnOf0-FtF0

This website lists Terral's failed predictions: 2012 Hoax Terral Croft

My favorite stupidity: when an amateur astronomer said he looked at the location where Terral said his mysterious Heavy Mass Object was supposed to be and he didn't see anything, Terral said he didn't see anything because his telescope was focused for deep sky objects and not solar system objects!!!

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
Croft's telescope goes to 11.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »

Offline NekoNinja

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • The Cake is a Lie!
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »
Doomsday Preppers rely on elaborate plans. And bullets. | Doubtful Newsblog

Be sure to watch the video. Yikes.

I think its a good showing of what people will do in a crisis, and what sort of mentality people take on. It's a good display of evolution. When resources go south so does altruism.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Well Established
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • bLog for a righter/musican
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »
I've been sort of shooting a documentary on the side on my friend (about his music career) and he has become a bit of a 2012 nutter in the last year. He suggested that I accompany him and his friends to the mountains on Dec 20th as they retreat away from civilization in case the shit hits the fan in LA and that way I could get some good footage of him and maybe survive if something happens (he knows I'm not a believer). My jaw just hit the floor, I was like no way am I going away from hospitals with a bunch of paranoid nuts with rifles. He kind of laughed it off and was like it's only for hunting. Ummmm, yeah, no frickin way.
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
We're doomed!

What's NASA hiding from the world!!! Real!

One Mayan Doomsday point for the first person to guess what it is!

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
Nobody?

You guys suck.