Author Topic: Take Me Down To Tennessee  (Read 186 times)

Offline Xptical

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Take Me Down To Tennessee
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
Some arresting developments from the Deep South:

Some hicks in the Tennessee senate have apparently drafted and passed a bill that will allow "teaching the controversy" in their schools.

The Senate voted 24-8 for HB368, which sponsor Sen. Bo Watson, R-Hixson, says will provide guidelines for teachers answering students' questions about evolution, global warming and other scientific subjects. Critics call it a "monkey bill" that promotes creationism in classrooms.

Oh, also, the House decided it was okay to display some useless words by their imaginary sky monster:

The bill authorizing display of the Ten Commandments in public buildings — HB2658 — is sponsored by Rep. Matthew Hill, R-Jonesborough, who said it is in line with court rulings. In essence, courts have often declared displays of the biblical commandments unconstitutional standing along, but permissible as part of a display of "historic documents."

There are a few things about this that are troubling.

1. Who actually knew that they taught anything other than squirrel recipes in Tennessee schools?

B. How did they find enough people from there capable of writing a bill?  And enough people able to read it well enough to pass it?

III.  How is it that a State almost no one can locate on a map has enough money to face the lawsuits that will eventually flow if the Governor signs these bills?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/mar/19/anti-evolution-class-discussions-get-senates-ok/

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Take Me Down To Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
Can they teach the controversy about homosexuality in public schools again then?

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Don't you understand? The essence of Republicans' "small government" efforts is to shrink the size of government, except where it regards insinuating your religious beliefs into the public sphere and paying excessive legal fees to defend your idiotic laws.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
Don't you understand? The essence of Republicans' "small government" efforts is to shrink the size of government, except where it regards insinuating your religious beliefs into the public sphere and paying excessive legal fees to defend your idiotic laws.

And the Defense Budget.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Tennessee is a cool state.

Of course, you can find idiots anywhere.

Tell me something I don't know.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi