Author Topic: How do we make young people interested in cars?  (Read 2097 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: How do we make young people interested in cars?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 03:13:57 AM »
I know I could not possibly live without a car (well I could but it would suck)

yep.
especially inconvenient when you have stuff to move.
gives ya a good reason to maintain social relationships, though.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:12 AM »
Why would we want to make young people more interested in cars?  The fact that they don't care about cars can only be a good thing, as these young people may walk more, use non-polluting types of transportation and in time build a better public transportation system.

If the trend is going towards less cars, thats a good thing.  I know I could not possibly live without a car (well I could but it would suck) and I can't understand other adults that don't have cars(unless they cant afford them) but if kids want internet and iphones over cars, thats a good thing.

I am with you.

Why on earth would we want to promote cars to young people?

Jeebus there is going to be enough of a problem as all the people in developing countries shift to more petro chemical cars, or shift from scooters to cars.

I think we should be encouraging electric bikes, scooters and motorcycles and public transportation.

People might 'need' cars in North America, but there are many places in the world that are much nicer places when most people do not have cars or motorised transport.

Trains and trams FTW.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:11:32 AM »
'cars are a place you can smoke weed, listen to loud music, fuck, and get away from your parents without paying for your own place, cleaning up after yourself, and cooking your own dinner'

that oughta do it.

pro: it's a campaign that doesn't discriminate against POS cars that they may want to promote
con pro: Republicans will hate it because it's unpuritan
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline lorryfach

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Altered Sky
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »
I have never wanted a car and I have never had a car.
Hej. - http://www.facebook.com/lorryfach - http://twitter.com/#/lorryfach
lorryfach on Draw Something/Words With Friends/wordfeud (EN or DK)

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
I didn't get my first car until I was 24.

+1 on the "Why do we need to get kids interested in cars ?" camp. Cars are a source of joy to some people, a necessary evil for others, and something to be avoided for the rest. The only people concerned about the lack of youth interest in cars are the car makers.

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
To get people interested in cars, try the following:

- Have GM buy city bus fleets, street cars, light rail, and then break those systems.
 - Promote suburbs:
  * Break inner-city schools
  * Promote racial disharmony
  * Promote crime, or at least fear of crime, so people will want to live in neighborhoods far away from their workplaces and public transportation.
 - Subsidize gasoline, roads, traffic patrols, etc.
 - Promote big box stores so the lowest prices are only available to people with cars
 - Break passenger rail
 - Appeal to people's patriotism to buy American cars
 - Promote your brand with product placement in movies like Transformers
 - Subsidize whole movies about how cool driving is, like Fast & Furious

Oh no!  The big three and the US government have already done all those things, and it still isn't working!

The fashion industry gives free clothes, handbags, etc. to celebrities to be photographed with.  Maybe giving movie stars free cars, along with free car washes, gas, and parking, would help to develop the brand.  Too many celebrities drive supercars that are out of reach for the buying public.  Also, put a logo next to the passenger doors.  There's a big missed opportunity to see the flavor of the month flashing her brazilian next to the Audi rings.

It's funny that they're turning to MTV to get the pulse of the youth.  MTV hit its peak coolness 25 years ago.  Still, their culture guru has stubble and no tie, so he must be hip.  Ross Martin's latest article is titled "Viacom Launched a Blog, Yo".

Offline Demosthenes

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
Cars are a source of joy to some people
That they are, even if I had access to the most efficient public transport system in the world, I would still have a drop top sports car just to get ‘away’ for a bit on weekends.

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »
I forgot to mention a few less sarcastic possibilities:
 - Enforce rigorous environmental and safety inspections that make it nearly impossible for people to keep cars that are more than 10 years old.
 - Resist graduated licensing and punitive insurance rates that make driving unappealing to young people.
 - Find a way to make cheaper cars (manual window cranks - remember those?) that appeal to Americans who are a lot less financially secure than they were 5 years ago.
 - Disconnect bylaw enforcement from revenue generation (i.e. red light cameras and speeding tickets that don't flow into city or police coffers).

Returning to regular snark levels:
 - Create a shaming campaign that makes people feel embarrassed about driving an old car.
 - Promote single-parent families so two adults won't share cars.
 - Discourage sidewalks in new developments.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »
- Disconnect bylaw enforcement from revenue generation (i.e. red light cameras and speeding tickets that don't flow into city or police coffers).

cease to enforce safety laws?

if those fines aren't based on safety, then just change the speed limits, and keep the camera there to catch anyone going over the new limit where it's actually dangerous to drive above.

surely that belongs in the 'snark' column.

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 03:23:15 AM »

cease to enforce safety laws?

if those fines aren't based on safety, then just change the speed limits, and keep the camera there to catch anyone going over the new limit where it's actually dangerous to drive above.

surely that belongs in the 'snark' column.

I've heard that municipalities decrease the length of the yellow light with the aim of generating more ticket revenue, despite reduced safety.  Likewise, I've heard a lot of complaints that traffic cops prefer writing tickets to solving serious, violent crimes because they make money doing it.  Some cops have a ticket quota to fill, and might "camp" in a spot where there's a lot of harmless speeding, like a short downhill section or right after the speed limit decreases.  I suggested that if the fines were paid to some other entity rather than to the people collecting the tickets, there wouldn't be an incentive to crack down on drivers, and driving might be more appealing.

I don't want people to speed or run red lights; I don't have a car, so good driving enforcement carries a benefit with no direct cost to me.  I didn't put it in the snark column because it's a suggestion that actual drivers have made, though, and it seems reasonable enough.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:27:51 AM by azinyk »

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 04:16:31 AM »
I've heard that municipalities decrease the length of the yellow light with the aim of generating more ticket revenue, despite reduced safety.

as opposed to where?

Likewise, I've heard a lot of complaints that traffic cops prefer writing tickets to solving serious, violent crimes because they make money doing it.

which are the serious, violent unsolved traffic crimes that traffic cops should be solving?

I didn't put it in the snark column because it's a suggestion that actual drivers have made, though, and it seems reasonable enough.

typically, though, it's a pretty bad exaggeration... like suggesting only women should be police since police have been known to rape people while on duty.

Offline James

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »

I've heard that municipalities decrease the length of the yellow light with the aim of generating more ticket revenue, despite reduced safety.

Surely a statement like this requires some evidence to back it up, its sounds like paranoid anti-government rhetoric.
Faith is not a useful tool for discerning truth- Matt Dilahunty

"Christianity-That's messed up!" - Denise

Offline James

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »

This is a concept I can't understand.  I mean even if one doesn't like cars, owning a car increases one's quality of life quite dramatically.  There's just so many things you can easily do that would take forever taking the bus or cost a fortune in cabs.  Unless you live downtown NYC

Of course if you've never had a car, you don't know what you're missing.  I guess the less cars the better, I know I just wouldn't want to live without one.
Faith is not a useful tool for discerning truth- Matt Dilahunty

"Christianity-That's messed up!" - Denise

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »

Surely a statement like this requires some evidence to back it up, its sounds like paranoid anti-government rhetoric.
I read that somewhere myself.  Might have been in Superfreakonomics...don't really remember.  I did a quick google and there were some dubious sources, but also some videos by local news teams that I can't really watch here at work.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline lorryfach

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Altered Sky
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »

This is a concept I can't understand.  I mean even if one doesn't like cars, owning a car increases one's quality of life quite dramatically.  There's just so many things you can easily do that would take forever taking the bus or cost a fortune in cabs.  Unless you live downtown NYC

Of course if you've never had a car, you don't know what you're missing.  I guess the less cars the better, I know I just wouldn't want to live without one.
It does take longer to get places (or, less frequently, coordination with someone who has a car), but I'm not in a hurry. I have taken a cab maybe three times in my life.
Hej. - http://www.facebook.com/lorryfach - http://twitter.com/#/lorryfach
lorryfach on Draw Something/Words With Friends/wordfeud (EN or DK)