Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 105803 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1230 on: January 10, 2017, 11:23:44 PM »
Dola,

Biking around Chicago this evening, all I have to say is... it's not nicknamed The Calm City With No Winds, that's for sure.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1231 on: January 11, 2017, 01:28:00 AM »
Dola,

Biking around Chicago this evening, all I have to say is... it's not nicknamed The Calm City With No Winds, that's for sure.
Ya it was freaking windy today.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1232 on: January 11, 2017, 04:55:35 AM »
Wood alcohol will most definitely make you blind if you drink enough of it. It can also kill you. I think the real killer of the Prohibition era though was denatured spirits, which is a nice way of saying "we don't want people to buy industrial alcohol to drink so well put poisons in it instead". A *lot* of so called bathtub gin was denatured spirits mixed with something to remove some of the foul taste.

by itself, sure, but is it possible to get in quantities sufficient to kill _by wood alcohol poisoning_ through moonshine/etc. rather than getting killed by normal alcohol poisoning long before you get that far?

maybe it's like 'broscience' in the gym, but the brewscience is that it's not a problem
If you're talking about untreated spirits as being dangerous, then to reach the LD50's that are published, you'd need to consume 149 L to be affected by the methanol, or for a 90kg bloke, about 58 L for the pentanol, from the "good" homemade stuff. That would be one hell of a session ! Even on their "poor quality" brew you'd need 11 L for the fusels. Stock standard pissed-as-a-newt high-school-student alcohol poisoning is the greater problem.
http://homedistiller.org/intro/methanol/blind
and he says 'affected' not 'killed'. I'd only drink 1/100th of that in a day, so I assume it wouldn't even 'affect' me, never mind being something to worry about (though elsewhere I've seen brewscience claiming methanol/etc. are responsible for hangovers, and the purer your drink the less you'll get those ill effects)

so, my n00b guess is that you generally get rid of the methanol from your run purely because it's a shit taste, not because it's dangerous (same reason you get rid of the fusels)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:58:15 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #1233 on: January 11, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
All of this alcohol poisoning reminded me of this little known chapter in US history when the government poisoned citizens for our own good....
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.html
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1234 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
After not doing deadlifts for a long time, I started to do them.

My back has never felt more stable

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1235 on: January 13, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »

Dead lifts are one of the best workouts. It's one of my favorites and has helped my back a lot.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1236 on: January 14, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »

Dead lifts are one of the best workouts. It's one of my favorites and has helped my back a lot.

I spent a long time doing a small amount of weight to get my form down, because of stories ive heard of people messing up their back.
When I actually started to test my strength, I surprised myself with how much I could do while having good form

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1237 on: January 20, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1238 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »
Thats fucking awesome.
There is a guy in my kickboxing class who only has the use of one arm too and its really impressive how people can adapt to things and make stuff work!

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1239 on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »
Got some pro tips for my squat and deadlift yesterday.
Stuff I should really have known but it reminded me the importance of not just learning correct technique, but getting critiqued now and then.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1240 on: March 03, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
I finally discovered Strava. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1241 on: March 03, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

I like Strava... way too many Kudo whores though.  I keep my followers list short.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1242 on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »

I like Strava... way too many Kudo whores though.  I keep my followers list short.

I have two, one that was following me before I downloaded the app and my best male friend, a rather amazing multisport athlete.  I recently have lost the ability to remind him that he is only half my age... 

I have looked at the list of other riders at the bike park; I can only laugh at my ranking.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1243 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:52 AM »
Loving the gymnastic equipment at the local park. It means I now only go to the gym for legs day.
I really want to get back to swimming though and since the local pool is booked out a month in advance,I may look at some of the open water spots that are only a 20min drive away.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1244 on: April 09, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
My old gym, The Academy, has re-opened after a significant amount of work and new equipment, as well as an additional name, The Stackhouse.

I am so happy, it is a 12 minute walk and I love this gym. After struggling to be motivated in any of the other gyms I have joined, I have already been four times this weeks.

I can't wait to go next week, there are two deadlifting platforms!

personate-rain
personate-rain