Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 50097 times)

Online Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #1005 on: July 11, 2016, 12:16:52 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on a heart rate monitor? SO wants to get my one for my birthday, but the fitbit stuff just seems damn expensive when all I want is heart rate and maybe a stopwatch or clock.

I use the WaHoo chest strap.  It comes with a free app that records your work out, distance, relative elevation, trail map.  The one thing it doesn't do that really frustrates me is actual elevation.  Considering how much of everything I do consists of elevation gain, this irritates me.  It will give you a graph of relative elevation, but you can't get detailed data from it.  If I'm out for 5 hours doing something, I'd like to be able to see finer grained data than what the app gets me.  I have thrown in the MapMyRide app to get the elevation data, but it doesn't synch with the heart rate monitor, and gives me really poor data regarding calories burned.  I went on a mountain bike ride the other day.  Average speed is 4.3 mph, but the hills are hell.  The heart rate monitor recorded my burned calories near 1800.  The Wahoo app guestimated the calories burned at 600.  I would love to be able to get all my data in one spot using a strap.  I also hate wearing things on my wrist, so doing the fitbit thing doesn't appeal to me. 

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #1006 on: July 11, 2016, 12:27:10 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on a heart rate monitor? SO wants to get my one for my birthday, but the fitbit stuff just seems damn expensive when all I want is heart rate and maybe a stopwatch or clock.

Polar FT1 is <$50, clock and pulse is about all you get.  You can wear it or mount it on your handlebars.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1007 on: July 11, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »

Polar FT1 is <$50, clock and pulse is about all you get.  You can wear it or mount it on your handlebars.

I use a Polar FT7 and I'm satisfied with it. Chest strap and wristwatch, but the wristwatch need not be worn on the wrist. I think it can do some other stuff, but I just look at my pulse from time to time. I just want to know that I'm working hard enough but not too hard.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1008 on: July 11, 2016, 02:32:18 PM »

I use the WaHoo chest strap.  It comes with a free app that records your work out, distance, relative elevation, trail map.  The one thing it doesn't do that really frustrates me is actual elevation.  Considering how much of everything I do consists of elevation gain, this irritates me.  It will give you a graph of relative elevation, but you can't get detailed data from it.  If I'm out for 5 hours doing something, I'd like to be able to see finer grained data than what the app gets me.  I have thrown in the MapMyRide app to get the elevation data, but it doesn't synch with the heart rate monitor, and gives me really poor data regarding calories burned.  I went on a mountain bike ride the other day.  Average speed is 4.3 mph, but the hills are hell.  The heart rate monitor recorded my burned calories near 1800.  The Wahoo app guestimated the calories burned at 600.  I would love to be able to get all my data in one spot using a strap.  I also hate wearing things on my wrist, so doing the fitbit thing doesn't appeal to me.

Go over to the cycling thread and ask there. They might be able to recommend something Karyn
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1009 on: July 18, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »

I have to agree with that, the calorie estimations by the "MapMy[activity]" apps is insane. I think that lead to some of the issues that I have had. it can say that a 45 minute stroll with the dog is 500+ calories. Whereas I expect the actual number, based on other applications, is around half of that. It doesn't appears to take heart rate into consideration when determining the calorie burn.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1010 on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »
Knee injury has gotten my attention. I guess I need to run less for a month or so.
Wanted to scope out a local beach for open water swimming (the one where they filmed Saving Private Ryan) but its a 30 min drive and parking in the summer seems blocked up anywhere within a 15minute walk.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1011 on: July 23, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
Knee injury has gotten my attention. I guess I need to run less for a month or so.
Wanted to scope out a local beach for open water swimming (the one where they filmed Saving Private Ryan) but its a 30 min drive and parking in the summer seems blocked up anywhere within a 15minute walk.
[/quoted]

hmm, not safe to walk, eh.

I'd like to propose a 15 minute cargo net crawl in honor of Gallipoli
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1012 on: July 23, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »

What sort of injury? 
“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.”

Garrison Keillor

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1013 on: July 23, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »

What sort of injury?
Pretty sure its a posterior cartilage tear.

[/quoted]

hmm, not safe to walk, eh.

I'd like to propose a 15 minute cargo net crawl in honor of Gallipoli
A 15 minute crawl would leave me with some very odd burns!!
I can walk, but i want something higher intensity that I cn do for around an hour or so.
My weekly cardio plan now looks like:
1 short bike ride.
1 90min-2hr bike ride
2  hour long swim
1 40min bag session
1 20 min bag session
1 of any of the above.

On the heart rate thing- potential new poly casual partner messaged me to ask my RHR and when I told her she was like "Oh. Thats disappointing"
Yeah. Fuck you too :-p

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1014 on: July 23, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »

What sort of injury?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have been living with a medial tear for twenty years.  600mg of Vitamin I seems to work a treat.  But ever since bone broth, it has become much less a problem.  Is it locking up with pain?  The physio (and a bit of reading) have convinced me to avoid surgeons.  MDs are also worthless for this.
“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.”

Garrison Keillor

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1015 on: July 23, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »

What sort of injury?

[/quote]

I have been living with a medial tear for twenty years.  600mg of Vitamin I seems to work a treat.  But ever since bone broth, it has become much less a problem.  Is it locking up with pain?  The physio (and a bit of reading) have convinced me to avoid surgeons.  MDs are also worthless for this.
[/quote]
I think Im miles from needing surgery! But if I needed it, i would look at the efficacy rates for myself.
Im going to give it a good bit of rest and see how I get on.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1016 on: July 26, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »
Bad cup of coffee this afternoon left me dizzy and queezy all evening. Managed to knock out a few pull ups and push ups while I watched tv but I had really hoped to go for a ride.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #1017 on: July 27, 2016, 03:42:15 AM »
I'm confident I'm coming home iwth some sort of muscle strain tonight.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1018 on: July 27, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »
Shoulder still sucks not as bad but still bad.
Well at least I'm riding the bike more.

Dead lifts and squats are still good though.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #1019 on: July 27, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
I got a disc golf basket for Father's Day and set it up in the middle of the back yard.  Last night my daughter and I picked 18 landmarks from around the back yard, including four on our 2nd story deck, and played 18 holes of disc golf with one basket.  It was so fun.  I declared the entire course a par 2 because anything more than a 10 foot put is an iffy proposition for me, and I did in fact score a 36.  I'm not sure this counts as a work out, but it is probably better than sitting at my computer playing games all evening.

personate-rain