Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 38224 times)

Offline Billzbub

• Well Established
  • I know you know I know
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #870 on: May 10, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
I got an elliptical on Friday free from my company as a 15-year reward.  Assembling it was work out enough, but I actually got to use it last night.  I figured I'd put on a 22 minute long show on the TV, set the resistance to zero, and make it through the whole show.  I was wrong.  Apparently I can ellipticate for only about 2.5 minutes at a time.  I ended up getting in 8 minutes by the end of the program.  The good news is that none of my parts that hurt when I walk hurt when I ellipticalize.  I'm looking forward to reaching my 22 minute goal.

My second attempt on the elliptical went much better.  I was able to get in about 12 minutes during the show (Robotech season 3), and then after about an hour of feeling like a sissy, I did 5 minutes straight, for a grand total of 17 minutes.  So far, it is my legs giving out before my cardio, so for me the elliptical is going to be strength training for a couple of weeks before it switches to cardio training.

The good news is that I love doing it so far.  Today is a slow round of disc golf after work (about two miles of walking over 2 hours), and I'm curious to see if use the elliptical I when I get home or not.

Offline daniel1948

• Well Established
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #871 on: May 10, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
Tip #32 for ageing athletes:  Don't take a fortnight off whole body exercise.  It's a hard restart.

Ain't that the truth!!!

I'm just getting back to jogging and exercycling after an extended cough/cold. It's hard.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #872 on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »
Tip #32 for ageing athletes:  Don't take a fortnight off whole body exercise.  It's a hard restart.

Ain't that the truth!!!

I'm just getting back to jogging and exercycling after an extended cough/cold. It's hard.

Just start slow. That's what I do.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline daniel1948

• Well Established
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #873 on: May 11, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »

Ain't that the truth!!!

Just start slow. That's what I do.

Yep.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #874 on: May 18, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
35minute session of pull ups and push ups.
Now in the middle of an intense chocolate muffin, coffee cake, grapes and pineapple workout.
I refuse to give up, I can get through this!

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #875 on: May 18, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Well no upper body work out for a month. This dam shoulder is killing me. Doc said its a tendon inflammation. It sucks. It cramps up so much that is wakes me up in the middle of the night and I can't get to sleep. Walking around it doesn't bother me at all. Just when I lay down and then only after about 2 hours.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Harry Black

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #876 on: May 18, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
That sucks man. We dont realise how much we rely on hips and shoulders until they play up!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #877 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
Shoulders are convincing evidence that there is no god... or she is a real bastard.
"It's the home of the brave and the land of the free
 Where the less you know the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon (Disorder in the House)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #878 on: May 19, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
I wonder if our shoulder are the same design as primates and I wonder if they have the same issues as we do?
Douglas Adams

Offline Harry Black

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #879 on: May 19, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »
I think we tend to use ours in far different ways. I cant think of any primate that pushes significant weight above their heads or does multiple repititions of high energy movements like tennis strokes, punches or swimming as humans do. We also tend to sit in certain positions for long periods of time with arms outstretched while typing, biking or driving.
I think one ball and socket joint is much the same as another but we really push ours for value for money.

Offline Harry Black

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #880 on: May 25, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »
Some...interesting new exercises

Its amusing how close  this and broscience are to actual people.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #881 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »

I like how the deadlift ends with them just leaving their weights out and buggering off :)
Quote from: Thomas Ligotti
"One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Harry Black

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #882 on: May 26, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »

I like how the deadlift ends with them just leaving their weights out and buggering off :)
Thats correct protocol. How else are people supposed to know that someone lifted that big while they werent there?!

Anyway todays thought- Still havent quite found the perfect taping pattern for my new running shoes. My whole toe is basically an open wound.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #883 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »
That clip is awesome.

Unrelated - I'm planning to head back to the gym after a 2 week hiatus due to a virus (damn head cold). I expect it to be a fairly light session as I ease back into it. I'm also not 100%, so I will take it very easy on the elliptical.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #884 on: May 29, 2016, 01:44:37 AM »
I could start a skiing thread, but it might be lonely.

Anyway, the season started today for me (a fortnight before the ski hill opens); we were a bit tinny overall and everything worked out well enough for a couple of wonderful runs in the powder with my good buddy and colleague.   I did set off a small slab at the start of the last run, but hey, I didn't get caught and the snow was delightful.

A bit shattered; a short black, a shot of Glenlivet and a nap, I am ready to cook tea and have a big sleep... hamstrings destroyed. 

"It's the home of the brave and the land of the free
 Where the less you know the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon (Disorder in the House)

personate-rain