Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 14818 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #390 on: July 23, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
you can even turn them a little more outward before facing forward at the bottom if you like, too, just to go for maximum ROM.

Why would you do that?

to strain your full ROM, same reason you bother going all the way to a dead hang, except for a different muscle group (forearms more than biceps).

That might make sense if gravity worked sideways as well as vertically.

it's not gravity, it's ROM.

it's not at all uncommon for beginners to find it hard to get a proper dead hang in false grip, their arms prefer to stay a little bent. with more strength and flexibility, they can hang fully locked out RTO.

you should be able to feel the difference. it's the same with the grip used for a back lever, which is why everyone will always stress that you need to warm up your biceps before training that, because it stretches them a lot. Hell, just extend your arm now and watch how your biceps change extension when you alternate between pronating and supinating your fist...I'm told this is the exact purpose of the biceps...I infer from that that this is why we have two of them. if all they were for was bending the forearm you'd only need the one
"He who takes his morality with high seriousness is angry with the skeptics in the domain of morals: for here where he is expending all his strength others are supposed to stand astonished, not inquire and express doubts." - Nietzsche

Offline Plastiq

• Well Established
« Reply #391 on: July 23, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
And I'm struggling to see the utility of range of motion under no resistance.

Offline Anders

« Reply #392 on: July 23, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
If I learned anything from the Rocky movies it is that the shabbier your training conditions, the better your chances of winning.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please" - Mark Twain

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality" - Ayn Rand

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #393 on: July 23, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
I should have stated my goal. I hope to get from 7 pushups to 20 pushups in the week from when I realised i couldnt do 50...

I've never done 50 of any form. no real strength, and definitely no stamina.

what form do you use?
I'd be impressed by even twenty in proper/traditional form (aka floor dips), I find them a lot harder than the normal ones most people do.
https://youtu.be/4dF1DOWzf20?t=1m51s (this guy's one of the mods over on a reddit fitness page)

it's strange, I was doing dips today at work and a coworker commented how he couldn't suss out how to do it in that proper dip form, his elbows wanted to go out, the way normal people do a press-up. I might have to see if I can get him to do press-ups tomorrow with good form (elbows in), see if he has the same problem.

must be some curious mechanics involved, there's also a guy who thrashes me in an arm wrestle who is also short and light (the trifecta for bodyweight training excellence!), but somehow can't figure out the Korean dips I can smash out sets of. (another elbows in pressing exercise).

This is interesting, when I was younger we were taught to do push-ups both as indicated in that clip, but also with the hands wider apart, keeping the forearms perpendicular but elbows are wider of the body (widegrip here): The explanation was always that it targeted a different muscle group (one works the shoulders while the other works the chest, or something like that).

That said, I can do about 20 of the wider ones presently, it's the ones with the elbows tucked in with hands lower that I am trying to get back to doing - I am still a long way short of my 20 goal.

I tend to do them on my knuckles (simply that's the way I was taught), but I am finding that it's causing pain (I suspect from old football injuries), so I might have to learn how to do it on my palms.

We also did hands together under the chest (thumb and forefinger forming a diamond on the floor), but I've not tried that in years. - I doubt I could do one that way now.

This is a better demo:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/exercises/push-up-wide-lv-2
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:35:49 PM by DG »
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #394 on: July 24, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »

your entire bodyweight is the resistance.
do you honestly feel no difference/discomfort? you must be way more flexible than me (like those fuckers who can planche on flat hands)
"He who takes his morality with high seriousness is angry with the skeptics in the domain of morals: for here where he is expending all his strength others are supposed to stand astonished, not inquire and express doubts." - Nietzsche

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
We also did hands together under the chest (thumb and forefinger forming a diamond on the floor), but I've not tried that in years. - I doubt I could do one that way now.

I don't find them to be all that different from the elbows in hands low form you're describing. ... though it depends how low we're talking (e.g., PPPU - pseudo-planche push-up)

I tend to do them on my knuckles (simply that's the way I was taught), but I am finding that it's causing pain (I suspect from old football injuries), so I might have to learn how to do it on my palms.

where abouts? you could use bars as an alternative (same wrist position, but none of the knuckle pressure). I try to mix it up, so I can get good at doing them in any conditions.

Offline Plastiq

• Well Established
« Reply #396 on: July 25, 2015, 04:26:58 AM »

your entire bodyweight is the resistance.
do you honestly feel no difference/discomfort? you must be way more flexible than me (like those fuckers who can planche on flat hands)

There is very little horizontal resistance. That's why, beyond making the movement comfortable and safe, I don't see the point in exaggeratedly pronating your hands at the bottom of the movement.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #397 on: July 28, 2015, 12:14:41 AM »
Random thought:

It doesn't take long for you to lose the benefits of all that exercise you've done.

(Specifically referring to strength - I've been really slack on basic strength stuff like push-ups for a long time. I thought "Hey, I should be able to churn out around 50. I could 12 months ago.". Turns out I was wrong, horribly, horribly wrong).

Today,  21 pushups! (in the first set, then 16 and 14). But still. I got through 20!
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

personate-rain
personate-rain