Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 6121 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2015, 04:33:15 AM »
two mini milestones in training this week:

1. finally got the ring MU _smoothly_, none of that cheaty momentum weight shifting. met an epic dude today who had a solid L-sit MU on rings, encouraged me to try to be stricter in my attempts.

2. finally achieved a basic skill on rings--back kip to support. it ain't graceful, and I fail at it more often than I succeed, but it's great to know that after 5 hours of "training" (mostly fucking about) I do have the strength for it, which I had thought was still not sufficient.
Quote from: Dale Carnegie
When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.

Offline Plastiq

• Well Established
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2015, 06:27:24 AM »
... 1. finally got the ring MU _smoothly_, none of that cheaty momentum weight shifting. ...

To indulge in some nit-picking, if you could actually do that super-strict with no momentum I'd be very surprised (and impressed, actually).

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
... 1. finally got the ring MU _smoothly_, none of that cheaty momentum weight shifting. ...

To indulge in some nit-picking, if you could actually do that super-strict with no momentum I'd be very surprised (and impressed, actually).

synonyms...
to me I was intentionally not saying 'strict' or 'no forward tilt' or 'straight arm' or any of the other buzzwords of gymnast level technique, to me they're not synonymous, I just mean to convey 'better than crossfit' and 'one smooth motion', whereas my muscle up was previously jerky (I didn't use leg kipping or fish flop hip kipping like a crossfitter, but did pivot at the transition in a way you could call upper body kipping), not as bad as body swinging or leg kipping, but still not the graceful movement you're after.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:49:24 PM by GodSlayer »
When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
d'you consider this 'strict'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sast2tAmK80
I just googled, hoping to find a description outside of professional gymnastics where they do it the way no one beneath competition level does it (http://youtu.be/IgfA9kNrzXc?t=3m32s),
I don't see mine as any different to his, except that I'm not focusing at all on having graceful legs (partly because my rings are so low I have to bend them when I hang, unless I want to L-hang, and I'm not strong enough for L-MUs. met a guy yesterday though who's into powerlifting and calisthenics who nailed it. was cool to see IRL.
(click to show/hide)

not complaining about my back kip to support, either. it's dreadful, but I'm just thrilled that I can do it because it hopefully means I'll be developing the strength I need to get the graceful back roll to support
(click to show/hide)

I'm still struggling to even find a good demonstration or glossary/dictionary/jargon for the word 'strict' except on some crossfit page. it doesn't seem like it refers to straight body bent arm (kinda Bulgarian dip looking) or straight body straight arm (butterfly) technique.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:44:06 PM by GodSlayer »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Well Established
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »
Ive lost a kilo in weight. Pretty sure its from fat but the fact remains that Ive gained nothing whatsoever in muscle.
Might give the creatine a go when I get home.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
Ive lost a kilo in weight. Pretty sure its from fat but the fact remains that Ive gained nothing whatsoever in muscle.

no weight, but maybe strength at least?
I've gained no weight over the last year, but I can do a lot of things I couldn't do previously.

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2015, 03:58:34 AM »
Yeah. Ive made some strength gains.
In all honesty Im balancing too many goals. If I focused just on one thing then I would do better Im sure but Im not willing to let stuff slip. When I start making progress on lifts I have to refocus on my run times, after that its swimming. Then its grappling or striking. Or both.
At the back of all that I have aesthetic goals. Or preferences would be a better term because Im not willing to give up any of the other stuff to achieve it.

Offline Plastiq

• Well Established
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »

Many would argue losing fat and gaining muscle are at odds with each other. Considering you've lost weight, why would you assume you should have gained any muscle?

Offline Harry Black

• Well Established
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:11 PM »
Well thats my point. I deduce from having lost fat that I havent gained any muscle. I wasnt trying to lose fat.
Quick question though, is there a point during the process of the body using fat for fuel where it could use it to build muscle? However briefly? Im assuming no because if the body is using fat then it stands to reason that it would not use the energy to create more mass to support?

Offline Plastiq

• Well Established
Well thats my point. I deduce from having lost fat that I havent gained any muscle. I wasnt trying to lose fat.
Quick question though, is there a point during the process of the body using fat for fuel where it could use it to build muscle? However briefly? Im assuming no because if the body is using fat then it stands to reason that it would not use the energy to create more mass to support?

Nothing definitive on that idea I've ever heard, but nonetheless, it's an idea I have heard experts discuss. Apparently simultaneous fat loss and muscle gain is far from impossible, but just difficult to accomplish for well-trained people.

personate-rain