Author Topic: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.  (Read 13212 times)

Online Harry Black

• at least as charming as a bum hose
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Twitter your random excersize thoughts and workout experiences.
« Reply #570 on: October 23, 2014, 02:47:47 AM »
Am I? Really dont want to leave my legs behind while i wait for better options.

I'm confident you could get enough strength for a one-legged backflip just from bodyweight exercises.
curious if anyone thinks that's not possible.

I know (or don't know, for our British audience) shit about legs.
I probably could but Im not sure that would be relevant for the two things I want to achieve:
1- Having bigger thighs so I dont look weird in shorts.
2-Picking up and throwing big blokes.

I used to do alot of gymnastic type training but I found it had very little transference for combat sports. Increasing my bodyweight and absolute strength had a much bigger effect.
-------------------------------------------------      
Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?
Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #571 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:50 AM »
Thats awesome! I just screen shotted that and sent it to her!
Quick question for you or any other serious lifters- still being precious about my back and the weight options here are poor to say the least so Ive been fatiguing my legs before I do squats and lunges. I do maybe 10min of bodyweight leg exercises and then throw on some very light weight for more reps but as Im already a bit fatigued it feels like Im getting some benefit.
Am I? Really dont want to leave my legs behind while i wait for better options.

High volume squats will build up your legs, I really like (well actually I don't as it is also cardio + weights) doing german volume training, so a 10 x 10 squat with 90 sec between squats. The weight you use is 50-60% your max lift.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #572 on: October 23, 2014, 04:56:45 AM »
1. I mostly wear baggy bottoms (not always easy to find in women's fitness wear) and try and wear loose fitting tops as well at times

I must be missing out on something. swimmers and triathletes n stuff always wear spandex. is there something inherently valuable about this kind of clothing? 'cause my natural thought is 'fuck, I can work out in cargo pants, what media brainwashing makes someone think they need nice-ass 'fitness pants' in order to be able to function at the gym? sure, tight jeans will be a problem, and a skirt won't be too flash on the leg press, but otherwise almost any clothes should be suitable.

A lot of bodybuilders will train in cargo pants and jeans, which get banned as the press studs in jeans rip the benches to crap.

Cargo pants are ok, except for the fact that most women's clothing is tight, and unless you have stretch in the fabric, you can't do some motions very well, especially things like squats.

Personally, I don't like things that are 100% cotton or in that sweat pants material, because when you sweat, it leaves marks.

It isn't that bad on a top, but it can be sort of embarrassing on your lower half. I only know this from seeing some of the lads who seem to sweat first from their anus and ass crack. The groin cracks are also a popular sweat zone.

It doesn't matter if you get super sweaty, but then the cotton/sweat suit bottoms are super heavy and start to pull down.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #573 on: October 23, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »
- for combat sports. Increasing my bodyweight and absolute strength had a much bigger effect.

maybe look into what those guys do, then? I mean... somehow they're able to get power while staying down within an appropriate weight class.

Cargo pants are ok, except for the fact that most women's clothing is tight, and unless you have stretch in the fabric, you can't do some motions very well, especially things like squats.

all clothing is women's clothing--name one thing men wear that a woman can't seem perfectly ordinary wearing (in other words, it doesn't matter if women's clothing is tight, shop for men's clothes...get whatever fits/works. I remember a cute girl at the hardware store saying she had the same pants* as me...I know I bought them in the men's section, and either they're "unisex" or she did, too.

*very light material and a mesh interior, and they hang well--they don't create that creepy look of old man cotton sweat pants.

Personally, I don't like things that are 100% cotton or in that sweat pants material, because when you sweat, it leaves marks.

It isn't that bad on a top, but it can be sort of embarrassing on your lower half. I only know this from seeing some of the lads who seem to sweat first from their anus and ass crack. The groin cracks are also a popular sweat zone.

yea, if sitting down is involved, black pants are the only pants, as far as I'm concerned.

I have a pair of grey board shorts I like a lot, but I only wear them in hot weather if I'm constantly on my feet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:49:01 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Online Harry Black

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #574 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
As for hiding sweat marks? Yes, I did a 90min workout on the top deck yesterday and it looked like I peed my pants.
That volume training sounds in line with the sort of thing I have been doing, good to feel like Im on track!

GS- Actually your advice about looking to the high performers is great! The unfortunate thing is that this is the strategy that led me to doing squats and deadlifts in the first place:D
Every pro and high level amateur I know or train with does some variation of a powerlifting routine and does squats and deadlifts as a bread and butter part of their conditioning. The heavy weights just aren't available or even suitable for me at the moment but im also trying to minimise the number of motions my joints need to go through because they kind of sound like the door to a haunted house right now!
Seriously, what the hell is up with my body?!
I have decided to ignore calves though and focus on stretching my Achilles to improve my long distance running.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #575 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
im also trying to minimise the number of motions my joints need to go through because they kind of sound like the door to a haunted house right now!

isometrics?

even just holding this shit gets tiring fast
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #576 on: October 23, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
First 5 k run today in a week, I have had issues with my right calf and left knee. I also have plantar fascitis in my left foot from rupturing my left achilles, which was also playing up.

I was a bit sore today as well, but it wasn't as excruciating as it was last week.

My upper body still hurts from lifting.

At least it is easier to replace a knee or hip than it is to replace a heart.

Offline lonely moa

• Frequent Poster
I have been a bit of a laggard of late.  But  just upped my power clean by 5kgs.  Makes me think it should have happened weeks ago...
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”

― Napoleon

Online Harry Black

• Frequent Poster

At least it is easier to replace a knee or hip than it is to replace a heart.
I like that.
I was supposed to do 5k today but I realised its been 10 days since my last rest and walking up and downstairs is a little more challenging than I would like today so I guess the leg workout I did had some effect!

I use isometrics for my abs because when I spar I may be holding tension for quite a while but for legs and a few other bits I like to have decent absolute strength that I can use explosively. I do a lot of plyometrics as well as strength training.
When I was part of my old pseudoscience dojo/cult the isometric party tricks were the gold standard for seeing who was the fittest for purpose (but can a bodybuilder do THIS?) but when I switched focus I really started kicking way more ass, to the point where I was told to stop doing so much strength training because I was getting too strong and it was "inhibiting my development of flow"
ie- We don't like seeing that we wasted 20 years on functionally useless party tricks.

Offline GodSlayer

I do a lot of plyometrics as well as strength training.

yea, I figured, but also figured that would be the kind of high rep stuff you want to get away from.

so, why's it not possible for you to just get $50 worth of rice or sandbags or something so you can simulate the sort of throw-fuckers-around weight work you're aiming for?

Online Harry Black

• Frequent Poster
I do a lot of plyometrics as well as strength training.

yea, I figured, but also figured that would be the kind of high rep stuff you want to get away from.

so, why's it not possible for you to just get $50 worth of rice or sandbags or something so you can simulate the sort of throw-fuckers-around weight work you're aiming for?
Everything you have said is a great suggestion, I guess Im just looking for that fine line where I can get the closest to optimal results as possible.
The only factor you are missing is my recently developed vanity. So building size is part of my goals. I seem to be doing ok with the rep range Im in right now, it was the hundreds of bodyweight squats I did in my early workouts 10 plus years ago that didn't suit. The pistol squats don't seem to agree with me either which is very frustrating as they seem to work well for others.

With regard to the sand bags I have a few obstacles- Im changing ship every 5-10 days at the moment and I need to bring everything with me and use what I can find on the next ship, most of my luggage contains extra food and protein sources because the meals on board are seldom sufficient. You would be amazed how little there is available that a ships crew are willing to allow you to use. On my last vessel I ended up cutting some baggage straps and stealing some rope to make a TRX.
But also Im determined to stay away from asymmetrical weights wherever possible. While I may throw someone for an hour every few months (and get thrown a hell of a lot more let me assure you), I cant be doing the type of reps required with anything less than equipment I feel totally safe using. My spinal surgeon has implored me to avoid kettle bells and that type of training, essentially indefinitely and I definitely intend to listen but his feeling is that I can build back up to heavy squats and deadlifts.
Not that I ever lifted anything impressive to begin with.
I must say though I get immense satisfaction in overcoming the limitations I have in space, kit or ability to get the most I can out of my training, I see each problem as a fun puzzle to find the best solution for and its one of the things I find compelling about fitness training in general.
This thread is a great for making sure Im not missing stuff.