Wood alcohol will most definitely make you blind if you drink enough of it. It can also kill you. I think the real killer of the Prohibition era though was denatured spirits, which is a nice way of saying "we don't want people to buy industrial alcohol to drink so well put poisons in it instead". A *lot* of so called bathtub gin was denatured spirits mixed with something to remove some of the foul taste.
by itself, sure, but is it possible to get in quantities sufficient to kill _by wood alcohol poisoning_ through moonshine/etc. rather than getting killed by normal alcohol poisoning long before you get that far?
maybe it's like 'broscience' in the gym, but the brewscience is that it's not a problem
If you're talking about untreated spirits as being dangerous, then to reach the LD50's that are published, you'd need to consume 149 L to be affected by the methanol, or for a 90kg bloke, about 58 L for the pentanol, from the "good" homemade stuff. That would be one hell of a session ! Even on their "poor quality" brew you'd need 11 L for the fusels. Stock standard pissed-as-a-newt high-school-student alcohol poisoning is the greater problem.
and he says 'affected' not 'killed'. I'd only drink 1/100th of that in a day, so I assume it wouldn't even 'affect' me, never mind being something to worry about (though elsewhere I've seen brewscience claiming methanol/etc. are responsible for hangovers, and the purer your drink the less you'll get those ill effects)
so, my n00b guess is that you generally get rid of the methanol from your run purely because it's a shit taste, not because it's dangerous (same reason you get rid of the fusels)