Author Topic: A pocket of dumb in a sea of awesome  (Read 5573 times)

Online Tatyana

• Well Established
A pocket of dumb in a sea of awesome
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
I thought that we should have a thread to post stupid things people say or do, especially on this forum.

I'll start.

This entire forum.

>:D

I have something far more wicked but it is rather bitchy.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
Re: A pocket of dumb in a sea of awesome
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
I've already updated my signature.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • Oodles of Doodles - My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:24:17 AM »
Confused panda is confused. EXPLAIN TO PANDA. What is this pocket of dumb and why is it in a sea?

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »
EXPLAIN TO PANDA

Its a quote from Rebecca's twitter, regarding this forum.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »
Wouldn't an "island of dumb" make more sense for the sea analogy? Or a "blazer of awesome" for the pocket one?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:37:29 AM by Miisanthrope »

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:53 AM »
Confused panda is confused. EXPLAIN TO PANDA. What is this pocket of dumb and why is it in a sea?

Rebecca called this forum a pocket of dumb in a sea of awesome.

Look here:

https://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/status/208878204499398658

'To expect sense from two mentalities with such extreme view points is not logical' - Spock from 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield'

Offline Belgarath

• Captain Sugar Daddy
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »
After she said it was her own forum:

https://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/status/208869311559897088

Anyway, I will admit to saying many dumb things on this forum.

(click to show/hide)
'To expect sense from two mentalities with such extreme view points is not logical' - Spock from 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield'

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:39:12 AM »
If this is her forum, and we're the problem, does that mean Rebecca is the source of the problem?
Well.  There it is.

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:45:34 AM »
You guys are Awesome :cheers: All of you, even the two of yous I'm bickering with currently, no hard feelings. Really, you guys rock this dumb pocket.

Feel free to post my crazy from the last 24 hours. Or from foreveor ago. Patent dumb, the lot of it, I'm sure  ;D You have my permission and respect.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:48:07 AM by WC »

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
I'm sure I used to follow Rebecca on Twitter. I don't recall ever tweeting anything to or about her, certainly not anything objectionable. I know better than to make myself a blog target. She recently tweeted something to the effect that if one finds oneself blocked it's because she's lost patience since the current shitstorm.

Now I find myself no longer following her. Does that mean she's blocked everyone on this forum, regardless of whether or not they have offended her?
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 05:37:50 AM »
Remember, if you're not part of the solution you're part of the precipitate.
Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »

Now I find myself no longer following her. Does that mean she's blocked everyone on this forum, regardless of whether or not they have offended her?

Nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »

Rebecca called this forum a pocket of dumb in a sea of awesome.

Look here:

https://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/status/208878204499398658

Oh nice, this might be last thing I post here because I'll probably get banned but I'll say it anyway.
I realised it was big shoes to fill when Perry passed away and I was really happy to hear a woman on the panel. I had high hopes and even spent a shit load of money getting to TAM6 and meet up with the SGU team who were great.
I have resisted commenting on what I think of RW over the years and I have respected the admins asking for no comments about panel members.
However calling this forum and the great people who post here , and the admins, a "pocket of dumb" is the right to my reply.
RW, my high hopes about you have decreased every year and I hate listening to the show now because your ignorance constantly  shows through. I am sick of your smart ass comments and 'humour' when you have nothing useful or constructive to say.
There are many great women involved in the skeptical movement, IMHO you are not one of them because of your methods and style of communicating and it pains me the ( decisiveness thanks for the correction anon.  ;D) divisiveness  your involvement is causing.
Goodbye.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:37:39 AM by Zytheran »

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »

I was still following her some time after that comment was posted, and unless she has some sort of idea who could be a member of this forum on Twitter, I don't see how she could single out us. But I couldn't say for sure, as I did unfollow after I saw it. She is, however, still visible on Twitter to follow, so doubt there is blocking going on.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »
I was still following her some time after that comment was posted, and unless she has some sort of idea who could be a member of this forum on Twitter, I don't see how she could single out us. But I couldn't say for sure, as I did unfollow after I saw it. She is, however, still visible on Twitter to follow, so doubt there is blocking going on.

There's a thread somewhere -- I can't seem to find it right now -- where every Twitter name for a forum member who has declared it is listed.

Edit: Here it is .. http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,25741.msg9203423.html#msg9203423

I don't think being blocked prevents you from seeing a person's tweets unless they have locked them out from public view. The only reliable way I know of to find out whether you are blocked is to try to follow someone and see whether it's refused. The trouble with this is that if you are not blocked you end up following (you can always unfollow immediately of course) and the person gets sent an email to say you are now following them. I think that sticking my head above the parapet in that way might be a bad move at this time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:13:41 AM by Trinoc »
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.